Bug HLG

Archive of the Yahoo! Groups mailing list for the Bug hand-launch glider 2002-2018

Date: Sunday, December 7, 2003 1:51 PM
Subject: Re: What is missing? - CG placement
One more question. Is the CG correct according to the plans? This glider, especially with the stock tail length and increased wingspan is very sensitive to CG placement. If you haven't increased the tail length then the CG needs to be further forward to get the same stability as the stock winged Bug. John --- In BugHLG@yahoogroups.com, "dimple_kwok" <henry.kwok@x> wrote: > I am frustrated that I am still getting miserable flight time. > > I have extended the wing and lightened the pod by using a smaller > diameter tail tube. The all up weight for the extended wing bug > ranges from 4.5 - 5.5 Oz depends on the nose weight I put in. The bug > glides straight and true but the launch altitude is just pathetic. As > a result flight time is often less than 10 seconds. I wonder why this > is the case? I would like to blame the weather during my test flight > (wind speed of 8mph or 12km/h on an overcast day). > > Is it still a weight issue? Flying condition? Or is it some of those > dihedral / incidence business?? What on earth am I missing here? > > Can you help me please?
Date: Sunday, December 7, 2003 1:41 PM
Subject: Re: What is missing?
Henry, When you look down the fuse, do the tail surfaces look straight? You should only see the leading edges of the tail surfaces. Twisted tail surfaces act like spoilers (drag device to make the glider lose altitude fast). You say that the launches are pathetic. Are you side arm launching? Your not going to get much altitude javelin launching - unless you're built like Schwartzeneger. If you do side-arm-launch, does the glider launch at a high angle (nearly vertical)? How much experience have you had trimming a glider. Your glider may be trimmed to fly too fast. This glider must be flown slow - just above stall, to get it to float. Is there a twist in the wing? Does it have equal washout in the tips? Does it fly straight with the rudder centered? The weather that day may have been dumping sink on you. Have you flown it on other days? Unless we can see photos of the glider or get more information from you, I don't know what else could be the problem. John --- In BugHLG@yahoogroups.com, "dimple_kwok" <henry.kwok@x> wrote: > I am frustrated that I am still getting miserable flight time. > > I have extended the wing and lightened the pod by using a smaller > diameter tail tube. The all up weight for the extended wing bug > ranges from 4.5 - 5.5 Oz depends on the nose weight I put in. The bug > glides straight and true but the launch altitude is just pathetic. As > a result flight time is often less than 10 seconds. I wonder why this > is the case? I would like to blame the weather during my test flight > (wind speed of 8mph or 12km/h on an overcast day). > > Is it still a weight issue? Flying condition? Or is it some of those > dihedral / incidence business?? What on earth am I missing here? > > Can you help me please?
Date: Tuesday, November 25, 2003 1:23 PM
Subject: Re: What is missing?
Can you post a picture or two for us to look at? My Lil' Bugger now has a balsa pod and weigh about 4.5 ounces with the 34" wing. I'm using a cruciform tail and it launches straight to about 75 feet every time. I can usually get 35-45 seconds of hang in calm air. Can you describe the launch results? I know that my plane turns into a kite when the wind picks up and flight times go way down. Hang in there, this is a great little plane once you get it sorted out. Chris in Seattle > ----- Original Message ----- > From: "dimple_kwok" <henry.kwok@x...> > To: <BugHLG@yahoogroups.com> > Sent: Monday, November 24, 2003 5:18 PM > Subject: [BugHLG] What is missing? > > > > I am frustrated that I am still getting miserable flight time. > > > > I have extended the wing and lightened the pod by using a smaller > > diameter tail tube. The all up weight for the extended wing bug > > ranges from 4.5 - 5.5 Oz depends on the nose weight I put in. The bug > > glides straight and true but the launch altitude is just pathetic. As > > a result flight time is often less than 10 seconds. I wonder why this > > is the case? I would like to blame the weather during my test flight > > (wind speed of 8mph or 12km/h on an overcast day). > > > > Is it still a weight issue? Flying condition? Or is it some of those > > dihedral / incidence business?? What on earth am I missing here? > > > > Can you help me please? > > > > > > > > To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: > > BugHLG-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com > > Home Page - http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BugHLG/ > > > > > > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http:// docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ > > > > > >
Date: Tuesday, November 25, 2003 8:03 AM
Subject: Re: [BugHLG] What is missing?
1. Are you tip-launching it? 2. How are your (or others') planes doing in the same conditions? Can others wring out a good flight with it? 3. Is it the plane (ie. accurate, clean wing, CG, need for differential, etc.) or do you just need practice? Practice is the FUN part! Lots of us need to tip-launch to get enough height to regularly hitch up with good air, however there is a gentleman locally here that rockets his "old-world craftsman furniture-grade" bug up there with a classic heave. I can't throw like that. With a tip-launch, almost everyone is capable of 30 seconds even in bad conditions. Just remember to apply outside rudder, and if you have the vee tails, be gentle on the launch or they'll be on the ground at your side, like petals off a rose, waiting for the rest of your bug to auger in. Good Luck ----- Original Message ----- From: "dimple_kwok" <henry.kwok@...> To: <BugHLG@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Monday, November 24, 2003 5:18 PM Subject: [BugHLG] What is missing? > I am frustrated that I am still getting miserable flight time. > > I have extended the wing and lightened the pod by using a smaller > diameter tail tube. The all up weight for the extended wing bug > ranges from 4.5 - 5.5 Oz depends on the nose weight I put in. The bug > glides straight and true but the launch altitude is just pathetic. As > a result flight time is often less than 10 seconds. I wonder why this > is the case? I would like to blame the weather during my test flight > (wind speed of 8mph or 12km/h on an overcast day). > > Is it still a weight issue? Flying condition? Or is it some of those > dihedral / incidence business?? What on earth am I missing here? > > Can you help me please? > > > > To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: > BugHLG-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com > Home Page - http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BugHLG/ > > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ > > >
Date: Monday, November 24, 2003 6:18 PM
Subject: What is missing?
I am frustrated that I am still getting miserable flight time. I have extended the wing and lightened the pod by using a smaller diameter tail tube. The all up weight for the extended wing bug ranges from 4.5 - 5.5 Oz depends on the nose weight I put in. The bug glides straight and true but the launch altitude is just pathetic. As a result flight time is often less than 10 seconds. I wonder why this is the case? I would like to blame the weather during my test flight (wind speed of 8mph or 12km/h on an overcast day). Is it still a weight issue? Flying condition? Or is it some of those dihedral / incidence business?? What on earth am I missing here? Can you help me please?