Bug HLG

Archive of the Yahoo! Groups mailing list for the Bug hand-launch glider 2002-2018

Date: Sunday, May 9, 2004 10:30 AM
Subject: Re: Bug wing mounting block
I like to drill out a large hole (with a smaller opening below) and set in a nylon nut. It is easy to set with goop around the edges. No more hassle and never strips out. John --- In BugHLG@yahoogroups.com, "oldtalorcraft" <oldtalorcraft@y...> wrote: > I had problems drilling a straight hole for my wing hold down screw.I > dont have a drill press and the bit would always wander around.The > hole would be wallowed out or off center.( I do have sharp bits but I > think most of the problem is that the wood grain would draw the bit > one way or another)I also hate drilling things blind.If you have > epoxied the block in, and you mess it up,good luck! So I cut the 1/4 > by 1/4 block to length and then soak the end for the hole with thin > CA.It will soak up quite a bit, this makes the end like plastic and > the bit will "ignore" the grain and go straight in.I hold the block > in a vise or tack glue it to my work bench to drill it.I also pilot > drill it first with a 1/16 bit, this makes the final #43 hole slighty > smaller in diameter due to less wandering and that means more thread > and a tighter hold down screw. Last I put the screw through the wing > bolt hole and set the wing on the fuse and mark the fuse sides where > the screw goes in and then epoxy the block in where it lines up with > the marks I made. Rob
Date: Saturday, May 8, 2004 4:00 AM
Subject: Bug wing mounting block
I had problems drilling a straight hole for my wing hold down screw.I dont have a drill press and the bit would always wander around.The hole would be wallowed out or off center.( I do have sharp bits but I think most of the problem is that the wood grain would draw the bit one way or another)I also hate drilling things blind.If you have epoxied the block in, and you mess it up,good luck! So I cut the 1/4 by 1/4 block to length and then soak the end for the hole with thin CA.It will soak up quite a bit, this makes the end like plastic and the bit will "ignore" the grain and go straight in.I hold the block in a vise or tack glue it to my work bench to drill it.I also pilot drill it first with a 1/16 bit, this makes the final #43 hole slighty smaller in diameter due to less wandering and that means more thread and a tighter hold down screw. Last I put the screw through the wing bolt hole and set the wing on the fuse and mark the fuse sides where the screw goes in and then epoxy the block in where it lines up with the marks I made. Rob