Bug HLG

Archive of the Yahoo! Groups mailing list for the Bug hand-launch glider 2002-2018

Date: Tuesday, June 29, 2004 10:22 PM
Subject: Soar Utah 2004
Soar Utah 2004 September 3 – 6, 2004 Salt Lake City, Utah The Intermountain Silent Fliers are proud to announce the Soar Utah 2004 program schedule. We are encouraging everyone to bring their vintage scale, modern scale, power slope scale (PSS) and any others for fun flying. The emphasis of Soar Utah is on flying and having fun. There is a wide range of activities that other family members can enjoy while you are at the slope. Day 1, Sept. 3 (Friday) Butterfield Canyon is situated on the mountain peak above the Kennecott Copper mine which provides an outstanding panoramic view of the mine as well as views of the surrounding countryside. This is a 360-degree flying site for both slope and thermal flying. The terraced pit is a half-mile deep, about two and one-half miles wide, and the working area covers 1,900 acres; the mine's open pit is one of only a few man-made objects that can be seen from space and the second largest man-made excavation in the world! Elevation of the peak is 8,800 feet. Day 2 & 3, Sept. 4 & 5 (Saturday & Sunday) Point of the Mountain is where hang gliders as well as R/C pilots come from around the world to experience the smooth air, predictable weather and consistent ridge soaring conditions. The morning wind normally blows from the south, so most of our contest activities will be on the south side. In the afternoon, the winds normally switch and blow from the north, and we fly on the north launch. Both sights offer drive up convenience (no hiking the hill for each flight). Day 4, Sept. 6 (Monday) Francis Peak is located directly east of the Kaysville I-15 exit, and is a popular flying destination for every Soar Utah. The rewards are not only the bird's-eye panoramic view of the Great Salt Lake and Morgan County but with an elevation of 9,600 feet it allows for many types of flying. The Awards Banquet will be held on Saturday evening where the winners of Soar Utah will be awarded their trophies. We will have a static display with peoples’ choice awards for the best planes and we will hold one of the best raffles in the West. Previous raffles have included nearly $5,000 in soaring merchandise! Pre-registration for Soar Utah 2004 is encouraged. Soar Utah is an AMA event and proof of current AMA membership will be required. There is no charge to watch. Food and drinks will be available at the Point on both Saturday and Sunday. For complete information on the Soar Utah 2004, local hotels, maps, schedule of events, and other information please visit our web site at: http://www.silentflyer.org If you have any questions, please give me a call at (801) 453-0611 (evening), or e-mail me at imsf-sec@... Thank you and we hope to see you in September!! Erik Vogel, Registrar --------------------------------- Do you Yahoo!? New and Improved Yahoo! Mail - Send 10MB messages! [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]