Bug HLG

Archive of the Yahoo! Groups mailing list for the Bug hand-launch glider 2002-2018

Date: Wednesday, October 6, 2004 10:17 PM
Subject: Re: [BugHLG] On what side of the rod do i mount the X-tail?
Ur right. I didn't think of the air force being applied. ----- Original Message ----- From: "Buddy Roos" <roos@...> To: <BugHLG@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Wednesday, October 06, 2004 7:40 PM Subject: RE: [BugHLG] On what side of the rod do i mount the X-tail? > > > It's not the g-force acting on the rudder, it's the air > pressure and it is a WHOLE LOT MORE than you would ever > believe!! > > The g-force does act on the front of the fuselage where > the battery is trying to sling to the outside of the > circle. > > Buddy > > -----Original Message----- > From: Doug Slate [mailto:doug.slate@...] > Sent: Wednesday, October 06, 2004 6:16 PM > To: BugHLG@yahoogroups.com > Subject: Re: [BugHLG] On what side of the rod do i > mount the X-tail? > > > > I don't mean to but in here but I am right handed and I > launch my bug side > arm (disc launch) with my right hand. That slings the > force to the right of > the plane, so, if I wanted the tail g-force to go in > the direction of the > boom, I would have to mount it on the left. Right? > > RCDuggiedug > > > ----- Original Message ----- > From: "Buddy Roos" <roos@...> > To: <BugHLG@yahoogroups.com> > Sent: Wednesday, October 06, 2004 3:22 PM > Subject: RE: [BugHLG] On what side of the rod do i > mount the X-tail? > > > > > > > > If you are right handed, I would put it on the right > > side of the boom. That way the launching side force > > would be pushing it against the boom instead of > trying > > to push it off. > > > > > > ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups > > Home Page - http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BugHLG/ > > > Yahoo! Groups Links > > > > > > > > > > > > > Home Page - http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BugHLG/ > > > Yahoo! Groups Links > > > > > > >
Date: Wednesday, October 6, 2004 7:40 PM
Subject: RE: [BugHLG] On what side of the rod do i mount the X-tail?
It's not the g-force acting on the rudder, it's the air pressure and it is a WHOLE LOT MORE than you would ever believe!! The g-force does act on the front of the fuselage where the battery is trying to sling to the outside of the circle. Buddy -----Original Message----- From: Doug Slate [mailto:doug.slate@...] Sent: Wednesday, October 06, 2004 6:16 PM To: BugHLG@yahoogroups.com Subject: Re: [BugHLG] On what side of the rod do i mount the X-tail? I don't mean to but in here but I am right handed and I launch my bug side arm (disc launch) with my right hand. That slings the force to the right of the plane, so, if I wanted the tail g-force to go in the direction of the boom, I would have to mount it on the left. Right? RCDuggiedug ----- Original Message ----- From: "Buddy Roos" <roos@...> To: <BugHLG@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Wednesday, October 06, 2004 3:22 PM Subject: RE: [BugHLG] On what side of the rod do i mount the X-tail? > > > If you are right handed, I would put it on the right > side of the boom. That way the launching side force > would be pushing it against the boom instead of trying > to push it off. > ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Home Page - http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BugHLG/ Yahoo! Groups Links
Date: Wednesday, October 6, 2004 7:16 PM
I don't mean to but in here but I am right handed and I launch my bug side arm (disc launch) with my right hand. That slings the force to the right of the plane, so, if I wanted the tail g-force to go in the direction of the boom, I would have to mount it on the left. Right? RCDuggiedug ----- Original Message ----- From: "Buddy Roos" <roos@...> To: <BugHLG@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Wednesday, October 06, 2004 3:22 PM Subject: RE: [BugHLG] On what side of the rod do i mount the X-tail? > > > If you are right handed, I would put it on the right > side of the boom. That way the launching side force > would be pushing it against the boom instead of trying > to push it off. >
Date: Wednesday, October 6, 2004 3:58 PM
Buddy is giving good advice. There's an additional reason to put the control horn on the right side for a right handed launch. The stress of the launch will pull on the pushrod rather than push on it. The bugs' little tail couldn't possibly stretch the pushrod, but a push could possibly bow the slender pushrod, yielding erratic behavior for that all-important first second or so. You'll likely find that on launching that some right rudder offset will increase launch height dramatically. -PJ
Date: Wednesday, October 6, 2004 3:22 PM
Subject: RE: [BugHLG] On what side of the rod do i mount the X-tail?
If you are right handed, I would put it on the right side of the boom. That way the launching side force would be pushing it against the boom instead of trying to push it off. You would also need to put the rudder control horn on the right side of the rudder. That way, when the side force pushing against the rudder deflects the boom, the rudder pushrod will pull the rudder to the right and help straighten out your launch. (I've seen pictures of the early models of DLGs before they started using the super strong Allegro booms where the boom was deflected as much as 4" to 5".) Of course, if you are left handed, everything needs to go on the left side. Buddy Roos -----Original Message----- From: mmmmmcerveza [mailto:mmmmmcerveza@...] Sent: Wednesday, October 06, 2004 12:59 PM To: BugHLG@yahoogroups.com Subject: [BugHLG] On what side of the rod do i mount the X-tail? Hello..i'm building a bug..with al mods..also half ribs...i was wondering..when mounting the xtail...on what side of the tail rod should be mounted?...does this even really matters?..i mean..is there any difference in flight performance if the tail is mounted to the right or left of the rod?...how does the disalingment of the tail to the fuse affects the flight performance? any advise will help...i'm new at this...and i would like to build a bug with good flight performance....mods are no problem for me... Well thanks to all of you
Date: Wednesday, October 6, 2004 1:58 PM
Subject: On what side of the rod do i mount the X-tail?
Hello..i'm building a bug..with al mods..also half ribs...i was wondering..when mounting the xtail...on what side of the tail rod should be mounted?...does this even really matters?..i mean..is there any difference in flight performance if the tail is mounted to the right or left of the rod?...how does the disalingment of the tail to the fuse affects the flight performance? any advise will help...i'm new at this...and i would like to build a bug with good flight performance....mods are no problem for me... Well thanks to all of you