Bug HLG

Archive of the Yahoo! Groups mailing list for the Bug hand-launch glider 2002-2018

Date: Monday, January 3, 2005 11:16 AM
Subject: Re: [BugHLG] Re: Anyone try an Electric Bug?
There are a lot of possible ways to do that, it would be cool, bt I think it would be very challenging. I would consider using 1/8" competition balsa profile fuses for the twin booms, and cut them to fit around the w3 rib. rudder servo on one boom and elevator servo on the right. you could use smaller motors spinning smaller props, and possibly go direct drive. for geared I would consider the GWS LPS spinning the smallest props they're made for. I would just make a little platform with velcro on the underside of the wing to carry the battery. You'll have to cram the receiver and ESC in there. This sounds like a challenging project for someone with a few years of RC experience. I made the mistake of starting with too-complex building projects too early in the hobby but I learned a lot more a lot more quickly. (e.g. my first project was to convert a guillows piper cub for rubber power to electric r/c.) Good luck if you try this project. Regards - Trizz Ondrej Andy <andyjbj@...> wrote: At least visually, the way I'd be tempted to try an electic Bug is in some manner of twin- boom arrangement. I think that would be beautiful. On the other hand it would complicate control systems. Can you tell I'm not much of an RC person? Home Page - http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BugHLG/ --------------------------------- Yahoo! Groups Links To visit your group on the web, go to: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BugHLG/ To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: BugHLG-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service. --------------------------------- Do you Yahoo!? Dress up your holiday email, Hollywood style. Learn more. [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
Date: Saturday, January 1, 2005 6:43 PM
Subject: Re: Anyone try an Electric Bug?
At least visually, the way I'd be tempted to try an electic Bug is in some manner of twin- boom arrangement. I think that would be beautiful. On the other hand it would complicate control systems. Can you tell I'm not much of an RC person?
Date: Thursday, December 30, 2004 8:59 AM
I modeled that in Motocalc, either the EDF 50 will work (poorly, low thrust to weight ratio) or mounting a GWS IPS-DX2BB in the nose (the "2" Gear, spinning a 7x6 prop), for which you'll want at least a 250 mAh battery. A folding prop would be nice. I never did this project because I came to the conclusion that I wanted a light little sailplane and not a wierd looking little parkflyer with no landing gear. Not that there's anything wrong with that. It's going to be a cute flyer and I hope you'll post pics. Here's the setup I modeled, using 2S E-Tec 250 LiPoly for power. That keeps your wing loading below 5 oz / ft 2 if you build light. Level flight is optimized between 14 mph and 22 mph, your highest static pitch speed is around 28 mph. You can probably get a decent though not great glide ratio, but if you get it up high enough you can climb, glide, give your cells a rest then climb it out again. Use your throttle 50% of the time, and you'll get close to an hour out of the battery. Keep us posted. --- In BugHLG@yahoogroups.com, "Mark" <holidaymarinegroup@y...> wrote: > > > Hi everyone, > > Let me introduce myself. My name is Mark and I live in New Bern, > NC. I plan on building one or more Bugs this winter. I've searched > the archives on this group and have seen the above question asked > and not answered. > > Has anyone put a little electric motor in a Bug? Will I have to be > the first? Comments, suggestions, answers? : ) > > Thanks, > > Mark
Date: Sunday, December 19, 2004 9:59 AM
Two summers ago I saw (from a distance) a friend fly a bug with a EDF motor strapped to the top of the wing. It seemed to fly well. I know he follows this thread and maybe he will comment. John --- In BugHLG@yahoogroups.com, "Doug Slate" <doug.slate@v...> wrote: > I've wondered the same thing. Looks like a fun project to try. > > > > ----- Original Message ----- > From: "Mark" <holidaymarinegroup@y...> > To: <BugHLG@yahoogroups.com> > Sent: Saturday, December 18, 2004 5:28 PM > Subject: [BugHLG] Anyone try an Electric Bug? > > > > > > > > > > Hi everyone, > > > > Let me introduce myself. My name is Mark and I live in New Bern, > > NC. I plan on building one or more Bugs this winter. I've searched > > the archives on this group and have seen the above question asked > > and not answered. > > > > Has anyone put a little electric motor in a Bug? Will I have to be > > the first? Comments, suggestions, answers? : ) > > > > Thanks, > > > > Mark > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Home Page - http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BugHLG/ > > > > > > Yahoo! Groups Links > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >
Date: Saturday, December 18, 2004 9:50 PM
Subject: Re: [BugHLG] Anyone try an Electric Bug?
I've wondered the same thing. Looks like a fun project to try. ----- Original Message ----- From: "Mark" <holidaymarinegroup@...> To: <BugHLG@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Saturday, December 18, 2004 5:28 PM Subject: [BugHLG] Anyone try an Electric Bug? > > > > Hi everyone, > > Let me introduce myself. My name is Mark and I live in New Bern, > NC. I plan on building one or more Bugs this winter. I've searched > the archives on this group and have seen the above question asked > and not answered. > > Has anyone put a little electric motor in a Bug? Will I have to be > the first? Comments, suggestions, answers? : ) > > Thanks, > > Mark > > > > > > > > > > Home Page - http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BugHLG/ > > > Yahoo! Groups Links > > > > > > > >
Date: Saturday, December 18, 2004 5:28 PM
Subject: Anyone try an Electric Bug?
Hi everyone, Let me introduce myself. My name is Mark and I live in New Bern, NC. I plan on building one or more Bugs this winter. I've searched the archives on this group and have seen the above question asked and not answered. Has anyone put a little electric motor in a Bug? Will I have to be the first? Comments, suggestions, answers? : ) Thanks, Mark