Bug HLG

Archive of the Yahoo! Groups mailing list for the Bug hand-launch glider 2002-2018

Date: Saturday, February 25, 2006 6:45 PM
Subject: Re: [BugHLG] G-Force Tapered boom?
Dan, There's some old links for tailbooms in the Links section on the group website. John -------------- Original message -------------- From: "Dan" <djedward@...> > Man, it's been forever since I've posted to this group. I built a > bunch of Bugs back in 2001/2, including the Ex-Bug posted to this > group and signed by Joe Wurts. I'm slowly getting back into the Bug > and had a question. > > Have any of you used any booms other than 3/16" or 1/8" pultruded > carbon? I noticed that CST (cstsales.com) has carbon wrapped tubes > called G-Force tapered that looked neat. I'm wondering if these are > actually woven or if they're just like the pultruded tubes. I've been > flying a flimsy 1/8" pultruded rod on my Ex-Bug for years with good > success, but Joe Wurts' comment was to stiffen up the tail boom. I > was also thinking about using a tapered wing spar to stiffen up the > wing ... trying to keep weight low. > > I'm also working up a Mantis style fuselage. I have the plug done and > hope to pull a part in the next few days. I'll post pictures and > hopefully I can make half a dozen and see how other people like them. > I'll post some pics later this week hopefully. > > Dan > > > > > > Home Page - http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BugHLG/ > > > Yahoo! Groups Links > > > > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
Date: Saturday, February 25, 2006 1:56 PM
Subject: G-Force Tapered boom?
Man, it's been forever since I've posted to this group. I built a bunch of Bugs back in 2001/2, including the Ex-Bug posted to this group and signed by Joe Wurts. I'm slowly getting back into the Bug and had a question. Have any of you used any booms other than 3/16" or 1/8" pultruded carbon? I noticed that CST (cstsales.com) has carbon wrapped tubes called G-Force tapered that looked neat. I'm wondering if these are actually woven or if they're just like the pultruded tubes. I've been flying a flimsy 1/8" pultruded rod on my Ex-Bug for years with good success, but Joe Wurts' comment was to stiffen up the tail boom. I was also thinking about using a tapered wing spar to stiffen up the wing ... trying to keep weight low. I'm also working up a Mantis style fuselage. I have the plug done and hope to pull a part in the next few days. I'll post pictures and hopefully I can make half a dozen and see how other people like them. I'll post some pics later this week hopefully. Dan