Bug HLG

Archive of the Yahoo! Groups mailing list for the Bug hand-launch glider 2002-2018

Date: Tuesday, August 22, 2006 8:37 AM
Subject: Re: [BugHLG] Re: Super Bug Day in New Jersey
Gustavo Exel escreveu: >Since the turn angle is small, you can do it without moving your feet, >just with the rotation of the arms, elbow and torso. Please read "shoulders" where I wrote "elbow"...
Date: Monday, August 21, 2006 9:45 AM
Ernesto, SAL = Side Arm Launch. SAL launch is a discus launch limited to a 130 degrees turn (approximately). Since the turn angle is small, you can do it without moving your feet, just with the rotation of the arms, elbow and torso. Gustavo
Date: Monday, August 21, 2006 12:02 AM
Ernesto, Go to the Bug yahoo website (see link at bottom of this post). In the Galagher folder of the Photo page, look at the two photos labeled SAL 1 and SAL 2. It might not be too clear from the photos. The glider in photo SAL 1 should actually be turned to face forward at the beginning of the launch. You swing the glider out to your side and continue in an upward arc and release. It launches the glider much higher than if you try to overhand (called javelin launch) the glider. John Ernesto Calderon <ernesto19622002@...> wrote: Hi John, I will began my BUG construction. What about SAL launch??? Could you explain to me?? Thanks in advance Ernesto Argentina Ernesto Calderon La Plata Argentina --------------------------------- Preguntá. Respondé. Descubrí. Todo lo que querías saber, y lo que ni imaginabas, está en Yahoo! Respuestas (Beta). Probalo ya! [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] --------------------------------- Get your email and more, right on the new Yahoo.com [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
Date: Sunday, August 20, 2006 10:08 AM
Subject: Re: Super Bug Day in New Jersey
Hi John, I will began my BUG construction. What about SAL launch??? Could you explain to me?? Thanks in advance Ernesto Argentina Ernesto Calderon La Plata Argentina --------------------------------- Preguntá. Respondé. Descubrí. Todo lo que querías saber, y lo que ni imaginabas, está en Yahoo! Respuestas (Beta). Probalo ya! [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
Date: Friday, August 18, 2006 7:10 PM
Subject: Super Bug Day in New Jersey
August 16th was a Great soaring day. I was flying from a Cinema Multiplex parking lot (huge - parking for 12 theaters) a couple of miles from my apartment. During the early afternoon it's almost deserted. The sky was about 4/10ths covered with clouds with light and variable direction winds. I was lightly tossing around the Bug (35" span) which means that I was only managing about 50 to 60 foot SAL launches. The first long flight started around 1:00 Pm. It lasted 13:30 minutes which was the longest flight so far at this site. During this flight the sun was obscured by clouds and remained that way for the next hour. With no sun, I didn't expect much more thermal activity but, around 1:30 I caught another boomer for a flight that lasted about 5 thermals and 30:19 minutes!!! In the three years since I built it, my longest flight with the Bug had been 18 minutes. Hope this continues. Here, in New Jersey, we normally don't see this kind of weather until the first week of September and then it dies in the middle of October. In New Jersey, this is the best time of year for thermals. John