Bug HLG

Archive of the Yahoo! Groups mailing list for the Bug hand-launch glider 2002-2018

Date: Monday, March 3, 2008 9:34 AM
Subject: Re: [BugHLG] Re: Indoor flying
The bug would be a bit tight in an average rec center. It's more at home in a golf dome, etc. I would recommend a small foam flying wing like the boomer. Better when bounced and a little more agile with elevons. I do LOVE the bug though. It is what got me into HLG and motivated me to design the Gambler. Allan Wright On Sat, 2008-03-01 at 16:53 +0000, dr56yhn wrote: > The club is in Rochester. They fly Tuesday nights in the gym at a > place called The Rec Center. They also get to fly within the same > building out on the indoor ice rink. Lots of room there and higher > ceilings. They also have permission to fly out at the fieldhouse of > the local college. They fly on the indoor running track. Again tall > ceilings and more room. They also fly on Wednesday mornings at the > local armory. > > I guess my concern was that all of these places have their dangers, > i.e. bleachers, basketball nets, beams in the ceiling etc. Yes I know > the not to fly into these things but sometimes they have a way of > reaching out and grabbing your plane. I hear trees do this sometimes > also. I just want to know if I float the bug into something like this > if it will hold up. The leading edge of the wing looks fragile. It > sounds like it is light enough and slow enough that it shouldn't be > an issue. > > Thanks for the quick feedback. > > Wayne > > --- In BugHLG@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Johnson" <paul@...> wrote: > > > > The Bug is so light, the floors won't be a any more a problem than > the > > ground. You'll probably catch it most times anyways - indoors is > good > > for catching practice. I've flown mine in the Dome several times. > On a > > hard side-arm launch in dead air I was getting 30 second flights. > > What club is it? Where do they fly? > > > > -PJ > > > > On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 8:59 AM, dr56yhn <dr56yhn@...> wrote: > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > So I came upon this group while I was looking for a small HLG to > use > > > indoors during the very cold winter months here in Minnesota. I > have a > > > 2M plane for outdoor use but I was wondering if anyone in this > group > > > has tried to fly the Bug indoors? My local club has an indoor > space > > > where they fly every week but they all fly electrics. > > > > > > I know there would be no lift but how well does this glide/float > in > > > dead air and is it robust enough to withstand the occasional rough > > > landing on a very hard floor? Any input would be appreciated. > > > > > > > > > > > > > > -- > > Paul Johnson > > Edina Realty > > pauljohnson@... > > > > > > >
Date: Saturday, March 1, 2008 11:53 AM
Subject: Re: Indoor flying
The club is in Rochester. They fly Tuesday nights in the gym at a place called The Rec Center. They also get to fly within the same building out on the indoor ice rink. Lots of room there and higher ceilings. They also have permission to fly out at the fieldhouse of the local college. They fly on the indoor running track. Again tall ceilings and more room. They also fly on Wednesday mornings at the local armory. I guess my concern was that all of these places have their dangers, i.e. bleachers, basketball nets, beams in the ceiling etc. Yes I know the not to fly into these things but sometimes they have a way of reaching out and grabbing your plane. I hear trees do this sometimes also. I just want to know if I float the bug into something like this if it will hold up. The leading edge of the wing looks fragile. It sounds like it is light enough and slow enough that it shouldn't be an issue. Thanks for the quick feedback. Wayne --- In BugHLG@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Johnson" <paul@...> wrote: > > The Bug is so light, the floors won't be a any more a problem than the > ground. You'll probably catch it most times anyways - indoors is good > for catching practice. I've flown mine in the Dome several times. On a > hard side-arm launch in dead air I was getting 30 second flights. > What club is it? Where do they fly? > > -PJ > > On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 8:59 AM, dr56yhn <dr56yhn@...> wrote: > > > > > > > > > > So I came upon this group while I was looking for a small HLG to use > > indoors during the very cold winter months here in Minnesota. I have a > > 2M plane for outdoor use but I was wondering if anyone in this group > > has tried to fly the Bug indoors? My local club has an indoor space > > where they fly every week but they all fly electrics. > > > > I know there would be no lift but how well does this glide/float in > > dead air and is it robust enough to withstand the occasional rough > > landing on a very hard floor? Any input would be appreciated. > > > > > > > > -- > Paul Johnson > Edina Realty > pauljohnson@... >
Date: Saturday, March 1, 2008 9:43 AM
Subject: Re: [BugHLG] Indoor flying
The Bug is so light, the floors won't be a any more a problem than the ground. You'll probably catch it most times anyways - indoors is good for catching practice. I've flown mine in the Dome several times. On a hard side-arm launch in dead air I was getting 30 second flights. What club is it? Where do they fly? -PJ On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 8:59 AM, dr56yhn <dr56yhn@...> wrote: > > > > > So I came upon this group while I was looking for a small HLG to use > indoors during the very cold winter months here in Minnesota. I have a > 2M plane for outdoor use but I was wondering if anyone in this group > has tried to fly the Bug indoors? My local club has an indoor space > where they fly every week but they all fly electrics. > > I know there would be no lift but how well does this glide/float in > dead air and is it robust enough to withstand the occasional rough > landing on a very hard floor? Any input would be appreciated. > > -- Paul Johnson Edina Realty pauljohnson@...
Date: Saturday, March 1, 2008 4:21 AM
Subject: Re: [BugHLG] Indoor flying
dr56yhn wrote: > So I came upon this group while I was looking for a small HLG to use > indoors during the very cold winter months here in Minnesota. I have a > 2M plane for outdoor use but I was wondering if anyone in this group > has tried to fly the Bug indoors? My local club has an indoor space > where they fly every week but they all fly electrics. > > I know there would be no lift but how well does this glide/float in > dead air and is it robust enough to withstand the occasional rough > landing on a very hard floor? Any input would be appreciated. We have a very large indoor space here in Sao Paulo (http://youtube.com/results?search_query=ibirapuera+e-voo&search_type=) and I've flown my Gambler there some times. A full speed launch gets very close to the roof (about 45m high on the center) and it's quite heart-stopping to see it approaching! In the end it's worth just to say "I've done it", but that's a good enough excuse to do it! ;-)
Date: Friday, February 29, 2008 9:59 AM
Subject: Indoor flying
So I came upon this group while I was looking for a small HLG to use indoors during the very cold winter months here in Minnesota. I have a 2M plane for outdoor use but I was wondering if anyone in this group has tried to fly the Bug indoors? My local club has an indoor space where they fly every week but they all fly electrics. I know there would be no lift but how well does this glide/float in dead air and is it robust enough to withstand the occasional rough landing on a very hard floor? Any input would be appreciated.