Bug HLG

Archive of the Yahoo! Groups mailing list for the Bug hand-launch glider 2002-2018

Date: Saturday, April 10, 2010 9:16 AM
Subject: Re: BUG HLG
Ron Glad to be of assistance. Regarding the wing loading of the BUG as compared to the Quark, the Quark has a loading of 1.507oz/ft^2 if you use this same loading for the BUG you will get an AUW of 48.3g. close enough to 50g I say. Regards Trent Elliott. --- In BugHLG@yahoogroups.com, "shadowarcher1100" <rcheroske@...> wrote: > > > > Actually the Bug may be a little too heavy at 50 gms so we may have to make it lighter. There is a thread somewhere about SAL Quarks which use the Vapor bricks and they're 1.5 oz. And they're thrown hard. Key to protecting the servos is to put a loop in the push rods ala Vapor pushrods. If the wind comes up, get out the heavier DLGs. > > Thanks Trent for the link to the wrapped carbon rods. I put in an order. >
Date: Saturday, April 10, 2010 8:05 AM
Actually the Bug may be a little too heavy at 50 gms so we may have to make it lighter. There is a thread somewhere about SAL Quarks which use the Vapor bricks and they're 1.5 oz. And they're thrown hard. Key to protecting the servos is to put a loop in the push rods ala Vapor pushrods. If the wind comes up, get out the heavier DLGs. Thanks Trent for the link to the wrapped carbon rods. I put in an order.
Date: Saturday, April 10, 2010 12:15 AM
Subject: Re: [BugHLG] Re: BUG HLG
On 4/9/2010 5:04 AM, dirk1951 wrote: > If a Bug of 50 gram's fly well, I do'nt Know, but with a wingload of 5,5 gram/DM� (1 3/4 ounce/sqr. ft) it's very light for that size ... less mass to buildup speed, so it can only fly in very calm weather (without termals) ... even with a little breeze your flying speed will be less then the wind speed ... > > And another "problem" I expect is ... with the proposed gear you never get it balanced ... so you had to build a (much) longer nose and/or use a very lightweight (and more vulnerable) tube for the tailboom ... and I also doubt of the flimsy linear servo's on de Spektum AR6400L (or the cheaper version from Vapor, same electronic's only some extra's are missing) will survive the harsh live of a HLG ... > > I think you can better invest in a couple of robust (sub) 5 gram servo's like the Dymond D47 (or Robbe FS31), with a little reworking, remove all unnessesary plastic and replace the cable and connector for the shortest possible with a JST connector, the total weight per servo will be less then 4 grams ... together with a Spektrum AR6300 ... the total RC, without batteries, will weight 10 grams ... if you are lucky it will operate on a single (high C) LiPo cell a 180 mAh weights arround 5 gram ... and if you can still get them 4 x GP 70 mAh NiMH cells are less then 10 grams on the scale ... > Well, how about this then. If the AR6400L and the attached linear servos are too flimsy for hand launch, how about launching it from a mother ship. Say the previously mentioned Vapor in an appropriately sized gigantic building? Get a bunch of hotheads stand in the middle of the floor and use them to generate thermals? :) Tim
Date: Friday, April 9, 2010 9:32 PM
Dirk I agree 5 - 5.5g/DM is light and it like everything else will have limitations. I intend only to fly on calm mornings/evenings off a 8M high gentle slope in a local park, its never really going to be hurled with great force disk or javelin style. The vapor and ar6400 to my knowledge use the same linear servo which according to the manufacturer will handle up to a 2OZ plane. There have been a few B17 models made at about 85g weight flying outdoors just fine with these servo's - so it can apparently do the job. Durability is another issue though - time will tell. My tail boom and V-Tail weigh 5.75g combined. Regards Trent Elliott --- In BugHLG@yahoogroups.com, "dirk1951" <dboodt@...> wrote: > > > > If a Bug of 50 gram's fly well, I do'nt Know, but with a wingload of 5,5 gram/DM² (1 3/4 ounce/sqr. ft) it's very light for that size ... less mass to buildup speed, so it can only fly in very calm weather (without termals) ... even with a little breeze your flying speed will be less then the wind speed ... > > And another "problem" I expect is ... with the proposed gear you never get it balanced ... so you had to build a (much) longer nose and/or use a very lightweight (and more vulnerable) tube for the tailboom ... and I also doubt of the flimsy linear servo's on de Spektum AR6400L (or the cheaper version from Vapor, same electronic's only some extra's are missing) will survive the harsh live of a HLG ... > > I think you can better invest in a couple of robust (sub) 5 gram servo's like the Dymond D47 (or Robbe FS31), with a little reworking, remove all unnessesary plastic and replace the cable and connector for the shortest possible with a JST connector, the total weight per servo will be less then 4 grams ... together with a Spektrum AR6300 ... the total RC, without batteries, will weight 10 grams ... if you are lucky it will operate on a single (high C) LiPo cell a 180 mAh weights arround 5 gram ... and if you can still get them 4 x GP 70 mAh NiMH cells are less then 10 grams on the scale ... >
Date: Friday, April 9, 2010 9:22 PM
Ron I find Peck Polymers has a nice range of gear. They did have a product called a "Lenny tube" which is used on all their StingAero HLG and DLG free flight glider kits they sell up to 30" span. They no longer appear to have this product listed for some reason. They have other wrapped tubes here: (down the bottom) http://www.a2zcorp.us/store/Category.asp?Cguid={56439CB4-E378-4C13-8711-74E1FA0C52C8}&Category=BuildingMaterials%3ACarbon+Pultrusion I am using their Lenny tubes for both the wing spars and the tail boom they are approx 3 grams for an 18" length. My tail boom and V-Tail currently weigh's 5.75g together. Regards Trent Elliott.
Date: Friday, April 9, 2010 3:49 PM
I agree about the fuselage. After years of flying mine, the only parts of the fuse pod that are still original are the plywood formers. Everything else has been replaced at least once. I stuck with 1/16" balsa but use medium weight fiberglass (2 oz) in high stress areas like the nose and the main former area (the widest part of the fuse), and the bottom surface of the fuse. Yesterday I had a battery failure on my first launch and the glider nose dived from about 40 feet and the only damage was where the forward part of the hatch cover broke when the battery popped through it. John --- In BugHLG@yahoogroups.com, John Godwin <johng@...> wrote: > > I've put some photos of my much repaired Bug in a photo folder called SA Bug. > It now weighs 128 grams. > For the fuselage I used light 1/8 balsa rather than 1/16. I covered > the fuselage with very thin glass fibre cloth and acrylic paint. > In a couple of years of flying I find the wing is strong enough but > the fuselage tends to suffer from the rough and tumble of landing. I > suspect you would have to be careful with a Bug weighing less than 90 grams. > I can easily side arm launch the V tail version with the following > set up. (I'm right handed). > Rudder on right stick > Elevator on left stick -- I learned to fly with a simple two channel tx > Mix in some right rudder on the left stick and hold this with the > thumb for about a second during launch. It's primitive but it works. > I use a 110 mAh nicad, a small 4 chaneel GWS rx and an Azzar aerial. > John > >
Date: Friday, April 9, 2010 10:38 AM
Subject: BUG HLG
Sounds good, Trent! So where is the best place to find wrapped carbon fiber tubing as opposed to the standard carbon fiber hollow rod? Ron [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
Date: Friday, April 9, 2010 6:36 AM
If a Bug of 50 gram's fly well, I do'nt Know, but with a wingload of 5,5 gram/DM² (1 3/4 ounce/sqr. ft) it's very light for that size ... less mass to buildup speed, so it can only fly in very calm weather (without termals) ... even with a little breeze your flying speed will be less then the wind speed ... And another "problem" I expect is ... with the proposed gear you never get it balanced ... so you had to build a (much) longer nose and/or use a very lightweight (and more vulnerable) tube for the tailboom ... and I also doubt of the flimsy linear servo's on de Spektum AR6400L (or the cheaper version from Vapor, same electronic's only some extra's are missing) will survive the harsh live of a HLG ... I think you can better invest in a couple of robust (sub) 5 gram servo's like the Dymond D47 (or Robbe FS31), with a little reworking, remove all unnessesary plastic and replace the cable and connector for the shortest possible with a JST connector, the total weight per servo will be less then 4 grams ... together with a Spektrum AR6300 ... the total RC, without batteries, will weight 10 grams ... if you are lucky it will operate on a single (high C) LiPo cell a 180 mAh weights arround 5 gram ... and if you can still get them 4 x GP 70 mAh NiMH cells are less then 10 grams on the scale ...
Date: Friday, April 9, 2010 3:22 AM
Subject: Re: [BugHLG] Re: BUG HLG
I've put some photos of my much repaired Bug in a photo folder called SA Bug. It now weighs 128 grams. For the fuselage I used light 1/8 balsa rather than 1/16. I covered the fuselage with very thin glass fibre cloth and acrylic paint. In a couple of years of flying I find the wing is strong enough but the fuselage tends to suffer from the rough and tumble of landing. I suspect you would have to be careful with a Bug weighing less than 90 grams. I can easily side arm launch the V tail version with the following set up. (I'm right handed). Rudder on right stick Elevator on left stick -- I learned to fly with a simple two channel tx Mix in some right rudder on the left stick and hold this with the thumb for about a second during launch. It's primitive but it works. I use a 110 mAh nicad, a small 4 chaneel GWS rx and an Azzar aerial. John At 01:54 AM 4/9/2010, you wrote: >Ron > >That's exactly what I have in the works! > >The lightest BUG I know of thus far is approximately 72 grams AUW. > >So far my BUG framework is complete and ready to cover - it weighs >in at 35 grams so far. > >My Parkzone Vapor brick and 150mah battery are 7 grams. > >So the BUG with just covering to go weighs 42 grams, I still have 14 >grams to go to get to 2oz AUW. > >I think it is very possible to get around 50 grams flying wight. > >I will be covering with Solarfilm solite. > >I have a flying field that is essentially a flat top mesa with 8M >slope all the way around - should prove to be alot of fun. > >Regards > >Trent Elliott. >
Date: Thursday, April 8, 2010 8:00 PM
Ron That's exactly what I have in the works! The lightest BUG I know of thus far is approximately 72 grams AUW. So far my BUG framework is complete and ready to cover - it weighs in at 35 grams so far. My Parkzone Vapor brick and 150mah battery are 7 grams. So the BUG with just covering to go weighs 42 grams, I still have 14 grams to go to get to 2oz AUW. I think it is very possible to get around 50 grams flying wight. I will be covering with Solarfilm solite. I have a flying field that is essentially a flat top mesa with 8M slope all the way around - should prove to be alot of fun. Regards Trent Elliott.
Date: Thursday, April 8, 2010 10:29 AM
Subject: BUG HLG
One of the reasons why I'm interested in the Bug is because of the new breed of brick receivers that just came on the market. I'm planning on building a Bug for my AR6400L Spectrum brick and my gut feeling says that I can build a standard sized Bug under 2 ozs. RC-Archer [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]