Bug HLG

Archive of the Yahoo! Groups mailing list for the Bug hand-launch glider 2002-2018

Date: Saturday, April 17, 2010 10:13 AM
Subject: Re: [BugHLG] Dihedral or polyhedral
Tim, Thanks. That is good advice and a good compromise. I was not going to modify a bug to poly. Just looking at other plans and it had 2 versions, poly and dihedral. Just trying to figure out which one to build. Paul ----- Original Message ----- From: Tim Schuh To: BugHLG@yahoogroups.com Sent: Saturday, April 17, 2010 12:54 AM Subject: Re: [BugHLG] Dihedral or polyhedral On 4/16/2010 5:27 PM, Paul LaChance wrote: > Hi all, > > Just wondering if there is major performance difference between a dlg or sal glider with dihedral vs polyhedral. I understand dihedral always gives more wing area for lift but are there major differences? > > Paul > Polyhedral is generally desired for rudder/elevator ships though it is more time consuming to build and can be tricky on small wings like HLGs. This would especially be true on the Bug where you're dealing with compound curves in the leading edge and camber of the wing. Two break (flat center section) seems to be a good compromise giving good rudder response and stability without making the wing terribly complex to build. [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
Date: Saturday, April 17, 2010 12:54 AM
Subject: Re: [BugHLG] Dihedral or polyhedral
On 4/16/2010 5:27 PM, Paul LaChance wrote: > Hi all, > > Just wondering if there is major performance difference between a dlg or sal glider with dihedral vs polyhedral. I understand dihedral always gives more wing area for lift but are there major differences? > > Paul > Polyhedral is generally desired for rudder/elevator ships though it is more time consuming to build and can be tricky on small wings like HLGs. This would especially be true on the Bug where you're dealing with compound curves in the leading edge and camber of the wing. Two break (flat center section) seems to be a good compromise giving good rudder response and stability without making the wing terribly complex to build.
Date: Friday, April 16, 2010 6:27 PM
Subject: Dihedral or polyhedral
Hi all, Just wondering if there is major performance difference between a dlg or sal glider with dihedral vs polyhedral. I understand dihedral always gives more wing area for lift but are there major differences? Paul [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
Date: Thursday, April 15, 2010 4:17 PM
Subject: Re: [BugHLG] AR6400 Bug
You may want to consider going with a thinner airfoil. It will increase your penetration. And at 50g, you definitely don't need the lift of a thick, highly cambered section like the s3014. Which I believe is the section used in the Bug. The AG36 has been suggested here in the past. But if it were me, I would go with the AG38. Especially at 50g. Good luck and keep us posted. My original Bug weighed a bit over 90g and flew very nicely. 50g should be outstanding, especially with a better airfoil. Lee On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 7:15 AM, Ron Cheroske <rcheroske@...> wrote: > I'm building an AR6400 Bug right now and I'm just waiting for parts to come > in. I think that if you can keep it under 50 gms, you'll have an decent > flying calm weather HLG. > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
Date: Thursday, April 15, 2010 2:10 PM
On 4/15/2010 9:15 AM, Ron Cheroske wrote: > I'm building an AR6400 Bug right now and I'm just waiting for parts to come > in. I think that if you can keep it under 50 gms, you'll have an decent > flying calm weather HLG. If you anticipate windier conditions then you > could build the Bug a little heavier and use micro servos and receivers. > > Thermals always exist on a sunny day. For example, if you're standing in a > grassy field next to a concrete pad, the sun heating up the concrete pad > will create a thermal. > I suppose you could build one a little heavier if you feel the urge. I would think there would be plenty of room to add ballast right on the CG.
Date: Thursday, April 15, 2010 1:10 PM
Be sure to upload photos of your AR6400 bug to the bug group website.  I would really like to see it. What most people do is fly the bug on calm to light wind days and have a different dlg for the windier days. I'm being a stickler but there are days when a mass of stable air shuts off lift even on a sunny day. John --- On Thu, 4/15/10, Ron Cheroske <rcheroske@gmail.com> wrote: From: Ron Cheroske <rcheroske@...> Subject: [BugHLG] AR6400 Bug To: BugHLG@yahoogroups.com Date: Thursday, April 15, 2010, 10:15 AM   I'm building an AR6400 Bug right now and I'm just waiting for parts to come in. I think that if you can keep it under 50 gms, you'll have an decent flying calm weather HLG. If you anticipate windier conditions then you could build the Bug a little heavier and use micro servos and receivers. Thermals always exist on a sunny day. For example, if you're standing in a grassy field next to a concrete pad, the sun heating up the concrete pad will create a thermal. [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
Date: Thursday, April 15, 2010 10:15 AM
Subject: AR6400 Bug
I'm building an AR6400 Bug right now and I'm just waiting for parts to come in. I think that if you can keep it under 50 gms, you'll have an decent flying calm weather HLG. If you anticipate windier conditions then you could build the Bug a little heavier and use micro servos and receivers. Thermals always exist on a sunny day. For example, if you're standing in a grassy field next to a concrete pad, the sun heating up the concrete pad will create a thermal. [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]