Bug HLG

Archive of the Yahoo! Groups mailing list for the Bug hand-launch glider 2002-2018

Date: Monday, October 4, 2010 2:43 AM
Subject: Re: [BugHLG] Re: hello
I built a second Bug with a thinner airfoil, nominally AG03. It flies well, better than the first, but it's hard to say if it's due to the thinner wing or just a better build the second time round. John. On 03 Oct 2010, at 10:34 PM, John Gallagher wrote: > > > Has anyone built a Bug with a different airfoil? The main update of > the Mimi is > the AG airfoil. > > > John > > >
Date: Sunday, October 3, 2010 4:42 PM
On 10/3/2010 3:34 PM, John Gallagher wrote: > The problem with the Mimi is that you have to know how to build light to get the > benefits of the more updated design. The original plans had a solid balsa wing > and resulted in very heavy gliders. For a glider in this span range, it must be > built light (under 5 ounces). There is a crude builtup version of the plans > available. Even using the built-up wing plans, most mimi's are coming out at > 5.5 to 6.5 ounces. Most Gamblers are being built at around 6.5 ounces and that > is a 50" wingspan dlg. Since the Mimi is a design with a greater amount of > balsa, you need to purchase lightweight balsa (5#) from a balsa supplier that > specializes in selling lightweight balsa. You won't find this weight balsa from > the local hobby shop or Tower hobbies. > The Mimi builtup wing is not easier to build than the simplified wing structure > of the Bug. > I've got to admit that a light weight version of the Mimi would be a good dlg. > I may build one myself this winter. > > Has anyone built a Bug with a different airfoil? The main update of the Mimi is > the AG airfoil. > > > John Very true indeed. I built a 1.2M DLG designed by David Eddy called Icarus. It was designed as a quick to build alternative with input from Frans Bal (MiMi), Dr. Mark Drela (Apogee and about a million others) and many, many other folks. It's about half way between the solid wing of the MiMi and a fully built up wing and honestly about the most fun I've had building a wing. It uses solid balsa for about the first 30%, standard TE stock and a geodetic set of ribs that can be rough cut and sanded to shape in no time flat. Very fast to build that wing. With non-lightweight hobby shop balsa and standard Econocoat my wing weighed in a 120g and I massively overbuilt it. I fiberglassed all the dihedral breaks even though it's not called for in the plans nor really necessary according to the designer.
Date: Sunday, October 3, 2010 4:34 PM
The problem with the Mimi is that you have to know how to build light to get the benefits of the more updated design. The original plans had a solid balsa wing and resulted in very heavy gliders. For a glider in this span range, it must be built light (under 5 ounces). There is a crude builtup version of the plans available. Even using the built-up wing plans, most mimi's are coming out at 5.5 to 6.5 ounces. Most Gamblers are being built at around 6.5 ounces and that is a 50" wingspan dlg. Since the Mimi is a design with a greater amount of balsa, you need to purchase lightweight balsa (5#) from a balsa supplier that specializes in selling lightweight balsa. You won't find this weight balsa from the local hobby shop or Tower hobbies. The Mimi builtup wing is not easier to build than the simplified wing structure of the Bug. I've got to admit that a light weight version of the Mimi would be a good dlg. I may build one myself this winter. Has anyone built a Bug with a different airfoil? The main update of the Mimi is the AG airfoil. John ________________________________ From: mgeo03 <geosmall@...> To: BugHLG@yahoogroups.com Sent: Sun, October 3, 2010 7:02:36 AM Subject: [BugHLG] Re: hello Go with the MiMi at RCGroups. It is a more up to date design, easy to scratch build. [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
Date: Sunday, October 3, 2010 7:02 AM
Subject: Re: hello
Go with the MiMi at RCGroups. It is a more up to date design, easy to scratch build.
Date: Thursday, September 16, 2010 12:15 AM
Subject: Re: [BugHLG] hello
On 9/12/2010 6:47 PM, GONZO wrote: > hey guys... I'm new to the group and wanted to build the bug... can you guys tell me where to get the plans in dxf or dwg for it? > > Thanks > > They don't exist. The only way to get them is to buy them from RCM. If you want to build a HLG of some kind there are many others that are available online as DXF or PDF. I've built a few from scratch including the MiMi and Icarus 1.2M gliders. I enjoyed both of them immensely but my side-arm throwing technique (or lack thereof) got the better of them.
Date: Sunday, September 12, 2010 7:47 PM
Subject: hello
hey guys... I'm new to the group and wanted to build the bug... can you guys tell me where to get the plans in dxf or dwg for it? Thanks