Bug HLG

Archive of the Yahoo! Groups mailing list for the Bug hand-launch glider 2002-2018

Date: Wednesday, August 24, 2011 8:40 AM
Subject: Re: Bug airfoil
Hi Pail, You may want to check out a wing design programme called Profili2...as it has a tab in which you can work out reynolds numbers based on wing chord and airspeed/altitude..it helped me understand this alot better than I did...Rgds...Laurie --- In BugHLG@yahoogroups.com, Tim Schuh <tim@...> wrote: > > On 3/5/2011 8:44 PM, Paul LaChance wrote: > > Thanks Marvin, > > > > I actually do not have the plans, so I am going to scratch build a glider very similar to the Bug. I will probably keep all the dimensions the same but just build it with a mix of the original techniques and my own. > > > > Paul > > > You'll want to keep the Reynolds number in mind while designing your > wing. The planform makes a difference in which airfoil will work best > since the chord one of many variables used to calculate the Re. >
Date: Monday, March 7, 2011 6:23 PM
Subject: Re: [BugHLG] Re: Bug airfoil
On 3/5/2011 8:44 PM, Paul LaChance wrote: > Thanks Marvin, > > I actually do not have the plans, so I am going to scratch build a glider very similar to the Bug. I will probably keep all the dimensions the same but just build it with a mix of the original techniques and my own. > > Paul You'll want to keep the Reynolds number in mind while designing your wing. The planform makes a difference in which airfoil will work best since the chord one of many variables used to calculate the Re.
Date: Sunday, March 6, 2011 4:48 AM
Paul The original Bug used the s3014 airfoil. It has been suggested on this list that the s3021 might be better since it is thinner. Well, it's not thinner, but max thick is about 10% further back. Also slightly more camber. If I was going to build another Bug like wing, I think I would probably try one of Dr Drela's built up airfoils as used in the Allegro Lite. The AG36 is a bit thinner at 8.18% and has slightly less camber than the s3014. No airfoil is going to perform true to it's design in the Bug wing due to covering sag, so it is largely a matter of picking something that looks good and giving it a try. Also, take a look in the files section. There is a plan for a 48" wing that you can download. Good luck and keep us posted. Lee On Sat, Mar 5, 2011 at 6:44 PM, Paul LaChance <plachance@...> wrote: > Thanks Marvin, > > I actually do not have the plans, so I am going to scratch build a glider > very similar to the Bug. I will probably keep all the dimensions the same > but just build it with a mix of the original techniques and my own. > > Paul > > > ----- Original Message ----- > From: mrmarvinmccoy > To: BugHLG@yahoogroups.com > Sent: Saturday, March 05, 2011 6:54 PM > Subject: [BugHLG] Re: Bug airfoil > > > > Paul > Not sure how the Epler airfoil will do on a small light weight glider like > the Bug. It is such a small glider it should be fun to try and see how it > comes out. You could do both and compare them and let everyone know how it > does. > Thanks > Marvin > > --- In BugHLG@yahoogroups.com, "Paul LaChance" <plachance@...> wrote: > > > > Hi all, > > > > I was thinking about building a bug with an Epler 205 airfoil. I have > used this airfoil on several 100" and 2 meter gliders through the years. Any > thoughts on how this might compare to the original airfoil used on the Bug? > > > > Paul LaChance > > Virginia Beach, VA > > > > > > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > > > > > > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > > > > ------------------------------------ > > Home Page - http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BugHLG/ > > Yahoo! Groups Links > > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
Date: Sunday, March 6, 2011 1:58 AM
Subject: Re: [BugHLG] Bug airfoil
I'm not sure how nominal airfoil sections affect flying for these small planes. In any case the section will be accurate at the ribs only, the covering sags between them. Even then you'd need to use laser cutting to get anywhere near the proper section. I suspect that there are three things only that you should worry about: thickness, camber and the chord-wise point of the max camber. Thus it might be worth trying a thinner, less cambered foil. John At 01:32 AM 3/6/2011, you wrote: >Hi all, > >I was thinking about building a bug with an Epler 205 airfoil. I >have used this airfoil on several 100" and 2 meter gliders through >the years. Any thoughts on how this might compare to the original >airfoil used on the Bug? > >Paul LaChance >Virginia Beach, VA > > > >[Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > > > >------------------------------------ > >Home Page - http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BugHLG/ > >Yahoo! Groups Links > > > John Godwin <http://jomacblog.blogspot.com/>http://jomacblog.blogspot.com/
Date: Saturday, March 5, 2011 10:28 PM
Subject: Re: Wing Chord
about 6.5" --- In BugHLG@yahoogroups.com, "Paul LaChance" <plachance@...> wrote: > > What is the root wing chord on the Bug? I like the elliptical wing shape but would like an idea of the chord so I can make a similar sized plane. > > Thanks again in advance. > > Paul > > > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] >
Date: Saturday, March 5, 2011 9:59 PM
Subject: Wing Chord
What is the root wing chord on the Bug? I like the elliptical wing shape but would like an idea of the chord so I can make a similar sized plane. Thanks again in advance. Paul [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
Date: Saturday, March 5, 2011 9:44 PM
Thanks Marvin, I actually do not have the plans, so I am going to scratch build a glider very similar to the Bug. I will probably keep all the dimensions the same but just build it with a mix of the original techniques and my own. Paul ----- Original Message ----- From: mrmarvinmccoy To: BugHLG@yahoogroups.com Sent: Saturday, March 05, 2011 6:54 PM Subject: [BugHLG] Re: Bug airfoil Paul Not sure how the Epler airfoil will do on a small light weight glider like the Bug. It is such a small glider it should be fun to try and see how it comes out. You could do both and compare them and let everyone know how it does. Thanks Marvin --- In BugHLG@yahoogroups.com, "Paul LaChance" <plachance@...> wrote: > > Hi all, > > I was thinking about building a bug with an Epler 205 airfoil. I have used this airfoil on several 100" and 2 meter gliders through the years. Any thoughts on how this might compare to the original airfoil used on the Bug? > > Paul LaChance > Virginia Beach, VA > > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
Date: Saturday, March 5, 2011 6:54 PM
Subject: Re: Bug airfoil
Paul Not sure how the Epler airfoil will do on a small light weight glider like the Bug. It is such a small glider it should be fun to try and see how it comes out. You could do both and compare them and let everyone know how it does. Thanks Marvin --- In BugHLG@yahoogroups.com, "Paul LaChance" <plachance@...> wrote: > > Hi all, > > I was thinking about building a bug with an Epler 205 airfoil. I have used this airfoil on several 100" and 2 meter gliders through the years. Any thoughts on how this might compare to the original airfoil used on the Bug? > > Paul LaChance > Virginia Beach, VA > > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] >
Date: Saturday, March 5, 2011 6:32 PM
Subject: Bug airfoil
Hi all, I was thinking about building a bug with an Epler 205 airfoil. I have used this airfoil on several 100" and 2 meter gliders through the years. Any thoughts on how this might compare to the original airfoil used on the Bug? Paul LaChance Virginia Beach, VA [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
Date: Tuesday, November 9, 2010 5:16 PM
Subject: Bug Video
I believe the video Clarence is referring to is this youtube video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ffH3WqJBHk The pilot is really working a small slope, maybe 10 feet tall at best. Wayne