Bug HLG

Archive of the Yahoo! Groups mailing list for the Bug hand-launch glider 2002-2018

Date: Wednesday, August 1, 2012 7:23 PM
Subject: Re: Bug questions
Separate BEC's typically are to reduce the load on your ESC (even if it has one) and keep the amps for the important equipment like your receiver and servos. It also regulates the volts to be consistent and avoid voltage spikes. In FPV it's helpful in reducing video interference. For the Bug however it seems silly to use one because your servo loads should be very insignificant and plus you want to reduce any unneccessary weight. If your servos fail due to overvoltage it sounds like you have a bad voltage regulator. Chris --- In BugHLG@yahoogroups.com, Steve Leitgen <sleitgen@...> wrote: > > I've been using Airtronics gear in my DLGs. They operate on one Li-Poly cell. Why bother with a BEC? > > Steve L. > > > On Jul 25, 2012, at 6:49 AM, Richard wrote: > > > > > > > --- In BugHLG@yahoogroups.com, Juan Balnius <jbalnius@> wrote: > > > > > > What the heck is a BEC. I just plug my LiPO pack to the receiver. Will > > my > > > glider fly longer if I use a BEC? > > > > > > > > > > A BEC is a Battery Eliminator Circuit. Usually it's part of the ESC but > > not all ESCs include one. > > > > Most servos and receivers are only rated for use with voltages up to 6 > > volts. Using a higher voltage battery can damage them. The BEC takes > > it's power from your battery and converts it to 4.8 or 6 volts and > > supplies that to your receiver. > > > > Some receivers produced lately will accept up to 7.4 volts but you > > should check the receiver specs if you intend to try this. The receiver > > and/or servos could fail at an inopportune time if you continue to use > > an overvoltage. > > > > And no, your glider will NOT fly longer. > > > > Richard > > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > > > > > > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] >
Date: Wednesday, August 1, 2012 11:25 AM
Subject: Re: [BugHLG] Re: Bug questions
You can download a update version in the file section of this group. On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 9:28 AM, Frank C Woods <fcw37363@...> wrote: > > Juan, can you tell me if plans for thr Bug are available anywhere on the > web. > thanks in advance for your help. > > Frank > > > > -----Original Message----- > From: Richard <Rszanti@...> > To: BugHLG <BugHLG@yahoogroups.com> > Sent: Mon, Jul 30, 2012 10:26 pm > Subject: [BugHLG] Re: Bug questions > > > > > > > --- In BugHLG@yahoogroups.com, Juan Balnius <jbalnius@...> wrote: > > > > What the heck is a BEC. I just plug my LiPO pack to the receiver. Will > my > > glider fly longer if I use a BEC? > > > > > > A BEC is a Battery Eliminator Circuit. Usually it's part of the ESC but > not all ESCs include one. > > Most servos and receivers are only rated for use with voltages up to 6 > volts. Using a higher voltage battery can damage them. The BEC takes > it's power from your battery and converts it to 4.8 or 6 volts and > supplies that to your receiver. > > Some receivers produced lately will accept up to 7.4 volts but you > should check the receiver specs if you intend to try this. The receiver > and/or servos could fail at an inopportune time if you continue to use > an overvoltage. > > And no, your glider will NOT fly longer. > > Richard > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > > > > > > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > > > > ------------------------------------ > > Home Page - http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BugHLG/ > > Yahoo! Groups Links > > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
Date: Tuesday, July 31, 2012 10:28 AM
Juan, can you tell me if plans for thr Bug are available anywhere on the web. thanks in advance for your help. Frank -----Original Message----- From: Richard <Rszanti@...> To: BugHLG <BugHLG@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Mon, Jul 30, 2012 10:26 pm Subject: [BugHLG] Re: Bug questions --- In BugHLG@yahoogroups.com, Juan Balnius <jbalnius@...> wrote: > > What the heck is a BEC. I just plug my LiPO pack to the receiver. Will my > glider fly longer if I use a BEC? > > A BEC is a Battery Eliminator Circuit. Usually it's part of the ESC but not all ESCs include one. Most servos and receivers are only rated for use with voltages up to 6 volts. Using a higher voltage battery can damage them. The BEC takes it's power from your battery and converts it to 4.8 or 6 volts and supplies that to your receiver. Some receivers produced lately will accept up to 7.4 volts but you should check the receiver specs if you intend to try this. The receiver and/or servos could fail at an inopportune time if you continue to use an overvoltage. And no, your glider will NOT fly longer. Richard [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
Date: Tuesday, July 31, 2012 2:11 AM
Thanks On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 6:49 AM, Richard <Rszanti@...> wrote: > > > --- In BugHLG@yahoogroups.com, Juan Balnius <jbalnius@...> wrote: > > > > What the heck is a BEC. I just plug my LiPO pack to the receiver. Will > my > > glider fly longer if I use a BEC? > > > > > > > A BEC is a Battery Eliminator Circuit. Usually it's part of the ESC but > not all ESCs include one. > > Most servos and receivers are only rated for use with voltages up to 6 > volts. Using a higher voltage battery can damage them. The BEC takes > it's power from your battery and converts it to 4.8 or 6 volts and > supplies that to your receiver. > > Some receivers produced lately will accept up to 7.4 volts but you > should check the receiver specs if you intend to try this. The receiver > and/or servos could fail at an inopportune time if you continue to use > an overvoltage. > > And no, your glider will NOT fly longer. > > Richard > > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > > > > ------------------------------------ > > Home Page - http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BugHLG/ > > Yahoo! Groups Links > > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
Date: Monday, July 30, 2012 11:25 PM
Subject: Re: [BugHLG] Bug questions
I've been using Airtronics gear in my DLGs. They operate on one Li-Poly cell. Why bother with a BEC? Steve L. On Jul 25, 2012, at 6:49 AM, Richard wrote: > > > --- In BugHLG@yahoogroups.com, Juan Balnius <jbalnius@...> wrote: > > > > What the heck is a BEC. I just plug my LiPO pack to the receiver. Will > my > > glider fly longer if I use a BEC? > > > > > > A BEC is a Battery Eliminator Circuit. Usually it's part of the ESC but > not all ESCs include one. > > Most servos and receivers are only rated for use with voltages up to 6 > volts. Using a higher voltage battery can damage them. The BEC takes > it's power from your battery and converts it to 4.8 or 6 volts and > supplies that to your receiver. > > Some receivers produced lately will accept up to 7.4 volts but you > should check the receiver specs if you intend to try this. The receiver > and/or servos could fail at an inopportune time if you continue to use > an overvoltage. > > And no, your glider will NOT fly longer. > > Richard > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
Date: Wednesday, July 25, 2012 8:06 AM
--- In BugHLG@yahoogroups.com, Juan Balnius <jbalnius@...> wrote: > > What the heck is a BEC. I just plug my LiPO pack to the receiver. Will my > glider fly longer if I use a BEC? > > Spektrum receivers and Dymond D47 servos are rated for up to 9 volts, so you can run them directly from a 2s lipo with no BEC or regulator necessary. That's how my Bug is set up, and it works great. One less thing to fail :) With other receivers and servos you might let out the magic smoke if you connect them to more than 6 volts. Rick
Date: Wednesday, July 25, 2012 7:49 AM
--- In BugHLG@yahoogroups.com, Juan Balnius <jbalnius@...> wrote: > > What the heck is a BEC. I just plug my LiPO pack to the receiver. Will my > glider fly longer if I use a BEC? > > A BEC is a Battery Eliminator Circuit. Usually it's part of the ESC but not all ESCs include one. Most servos and receivers are only rated for use with voltages up to 6 volts. Using a higher voltage battery can damage them. The BEC takes it's power from your battery and converts it to 4.8 or 6 volts and supplies that to your receiver. Some receivers produced lately will accept up to 7.4 volts but you should check the receiver specs if you intend to try this. The receiver and/or servos could fail at an inopportune time if you continue to use an overvoltage. And no, your glider will NOT fly longer. Richard [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
Date: Tuesday, July 24, 2012 11:18 PM
What the heck is a BEC. I just plug my LiPO pack to the receiver. Will my glider fly longer if I use a BEC? On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 8:18 PM, Lee Teicheira <leet1@...> wrote: > Hello > The need for a BEC is dependent on the battery, receiver, servo combination > you use. If you use a NiMh pack, no problems. If you use a LiPo pack, which > is good for weight, (you are trying to keep this as light as possible, > aren't you?) you have a 7v pack, which not all receivers and servos > can tolerate. If your receiver and/or servos require a 5v supply, and you > use a LiPo battery, you will need a 5v BEC. A *very* small ESC might > be tolerable to serve as a BEC, but will still cost you some weight. Are > you noticing a trend here regarding weight? The bug ain't very big and > needs to be kept as light as possible. > > As for carbon booms, try Aerospace Composite Products (ACP) or CST > Composites. > > HTH > Lee > > > On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 11:01 PM, rkh1954 <2hoppers@...> wrote: > > > Ihave started building a Lightnin Bug,this will be my first glider and I > > have two questions. First the plans show a BEC do I need the BEC for this > > to work right. I have been flying powered electric planes for a while > and > > all of my ESC's have the BEC built into them, didnt think I would need > the > > BEC for a glider. Where can I find the 1/8" carbon tube for the boom. > > Thanks for the help, great group. > > > > > > > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > > > > ------------------------------------ > > Home Page - http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BugHLG/ > > Yahoo! Groups Links > > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
Date: Tuesday, July 24, 2012 9:18 PM
Hello The need for a BEC is dependent on the battery, receiver, servo combination you use. If you use a NiMh pack, no problems. If you use a LiPo pack, which is good for weight, (you are trying to keep this as light as possible, aren't you?) you have a 7v pack, which not all receivers and servos can tolerate. If your receiver and/or servos require a 5v supply, and you use a LiPo battery, you will need a 5v BEC. A *very* small ESC might be tolerable to serve as a BEC, but will still cost you some weight. Are you noticing a trend here regarding weight? The bug ain't very big and needs to be kept as light as possible. As for carbon booms, try Aerospace Composite Products (ACP) or CST Composites. HTH Lee On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 11:01 PM, rkh1954 <2hoppers@...> wrote: > Ihave started building a Lightnin Bug,this will be my first glider and I > have two questions. First the plans show a BEC do I need the BEC for this > to work right. I have been flying powered electric planes for a while and > all of my ESC's have the BEC built into them, didnt think I would need the > BEC for a glider. Where can I find the 1/8" carbon tube for the boom. > Thanks for the help, great group. > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
Date: Tuesday, July 17, 2012 2:01 AM
Subject: Bug questions
Ihave started building a Lightnin Bug,this will be my first glider and I have two questions. First the plans show a BEC do I need the BEC for this to work right. I have been flying powered electric planes for a while and all of my ESC's have the BEC built into them, didnt think I would need the BEC for a glider. Where can I find the 1/8" carbon tube for the boom. Thanks for the help, great group.