Bug HLG

Archive of the Yahoo! Groups mailing list for the Bug hand-launch glider 2002-2018

Date: Wednesday, January 2, 2013 7:40 PM
Subject: Re: [BugHLG] Bug gear?
Thanks Porter! I'm looking towards the Dymond 3.7Extreme's right now for servos, and will look into your reccie on the AR6300 Rx, and KC battery.   Thanks.   R, Chris --- On Wed, 1/2/13, airporter <airporter@mchsi.com> wrote: From: airporter <airporter@...> Subject: Re: [BugHLG] Bug gear? To: BugHLG@yahoogroups.com Date: Wednesday, January 2, 2013, 2:58 PM   What are guys running for the on-board gear in the bug? Are servos lighter than the ones shown on the plan suitable? What about single cell LiPo's and servos designed for them? I am running a a Spectrum Tx, so am thinking about the Orange Rx's that HobbyKinhg sells, coupled with either a single cell LiPo and servos designed for 1 S LiPo, or a 2S Lipo, and the correct servos for that battery. Suggestions? I’ve been using the Spektrum AR6300 receiver and two Dymond D44 servos (no longer available) powered by a 240 mah Smart LiPo from Kennedy Composites. After nearly four years of use I’ve never had a range problem with the receiver nor a brownout problem with this battery arrangement. Although this is not the cheapest setup, it’s been VERY reliable. As for servos, I’ve gone with the bigger D44s (the new HS35 or HS5035 are ideal replacements) for their durability. With these items my last Bug, #3, weighed 98 grams, which is probably more than many out there, but then again, I’ve NEVER had an inflight break of ANY kind. Of course, YMMV. Porter [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
Date: Wednesday, January 2, 2013 5:58 PM
What are guys running for the on-board gear in the bug? Are servos lighter than the ones shown on the plan suitable? What about single cell LiPo's and servos designed for them? I am running a a Spectrum Tx, so am thinking about the Orange Rx's that HobbyKinhg sells, coupled with either a single cell LiPo and servos designed for 1 S LiPo, or a 2S Lipo, and the correct servos for that battery. Suggestions? I’ve been using the Spektrum AR6300 receiver and two Dymond D44 servos (no longer available) powered by a 240 mah Smart LiPo from Kennedy Composites. After nearly four years of use I’ve never had a range problem with the receiver nor a brownout problem with this battery arrangement. Although this is not the cheapest setup, it’s been VERY reliable. As for servos, I’ve gone with the bigger D44s (the new HS35 or HS5035 are ideal replacements) for their durability. With these items my last Bug, #3, weighed 98 grams, which is probably more than many out there, but then again, I’ve NEVER had an inflight break of ANY kind. Of course, YMMV. Porter [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
Date: Wednesday, January 2, 2013 8:04 AM
Thanks Lee. R, Chris --- On Wed, 1/2/13, Lee Teicheira <leet1@...> wrote: From: Lee Teicheira <leet1@...> Subject: Re: [BugHLG] Bug gear? To: BugHLG@yahoogroups.com Date: Wednesday, January 2, 2013, 12:05 AM   I still fly on FM, So I use a Berg receiver. It is perfectly happy on 2S LiPo. Be careful. Most ain't. Or use your light weight Spectrum receiver. My in flight setup looks like: 5g Berg 4L 10g 2 x Dymond D47 9g 2S 120ma LiPo ---- 24g The Dymond D47 is a great servo. Light, reasonable fast, good centering, and it lives happily on 2S LiPo. Look to eFlight or Park Zone for batteries. If your flight pack weighs more, you need to re-think. If it weighs less, good on you. Lee On Tue, Jan 1, 2013 at 7:20 PM, Target <cbbehm.lmbehm@...> wrote: > What are guys running for the on-board gear in the bug? > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
Date: Wednesday, January 2, 2013 8:01 AM
Subject: Re: [BugHLG] Re: Bug gear?
OK, thank you. R, Chris --- On Wed, 1/2/13, Steve Leitgen <sleitgen@comcast.net> wrote: From: Steve Leitgen <sleitgen@...> Subject: Re: [BugHLG] Re: Bug gear? To: BugHLG@yahoogroups.com Date: Wednesday, January 2, 2013, 4:39 AM I have a full flying tail so need the weight. I'd rather have useful weight than lead. I can't remember the receiver and can't look. The nose is sealed and can only be opened by cutting it. It's the new Airtronics park flyer receiver (unofficial range is over 1000m). The servos are 4 gm Cirrus servos. Steve On Jan 1, 2013, at 10:39 PM, Target wrote: > Thanks Steve. > Wow, 500mAh, that's a mammoth battery for the bug! > Which servos and where did you get them? > Also, are you using the RX61 for the Airt Rx?? Two of the guys building these fly the SD10G. > > Thanks in advance. > > --- In BugHLG@yahoogroups.com, Steve Leitgen <sleitgen@...> wrote: > > > > I've got 4 gm servos, an Airtronics receiver (Airtronics will run on a single lipoly) and a 500mAh cell. Make sure your receiver will work on a single cell. Spectrums need more volts. > > > > Steve L. > > > > > > On Jan 1, 2013, at 9:20 PM, Target wrote: > > > > > What are guys running for the on-board gear in the bug? > > > Are servos lighter than the ones shown on the plan suitable? > > > What about single cell LiPo's and servos designed for them? > > > I am running a a Spectrum Tx, so am thinking about the Orange Rx's that HobbyKinhg sells, coupled with either a single cell LiPo and servos designed for 1 S LiPo, or a 2S Lipo, and the correct servos for that battery. > > > > > > Suggestions? > > > > > > Thanks! > > > Happy New Year! > > > > > > > > > > > > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] ------------------------------------ Home Page - http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BugHLG/ Yahoo! Groups Links [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
Date: Wednesday, January 2, 2013 7:39 AM
Subject: Re: [BugHLG] Re: Bug gear?
I have a full flying tail so need the weight. I'd rather have useful weight than lead. I can't remember the receiver and can't look. The nose is sealed and can only be opened by cutting it. It's the new Airtronics park flyer receiver (unofficial range is over 1000m). The servos are 4 gm Cirrus servos. Steve On Jan 1, 2013, at 10:39 PM, Target wrote: > Thanks Steve. > Wow, 500mAh, that's a mammoth battery for the bug! > Which servos and where did you get them? > Also, are you using the RX61 for the Airt Rx?? Two of the guys building these fly the SD10G. > > Thanks in advance. > > --- In BugHLG@yahoogroups.com, Steve Leitgen <sleitgen@...> wrote: > > > > I've got 4 gm servos, an Airtronics receiver (Airtronics will run on a single lipoly) and a 500mAh cell. Make sure your receiver will work on a single cell. Spectrums need more volts. > > > > Steve L. > > > > > > On Jan 1, 2013, at 9:20 PM, Target wrote: > > > > > What are guys running for the on-board gear in the bug? > > > Are servos lighter than the ones shown on the plan suitable? > > > What about single cell LiPo's and servos designed for them? > > > I am running a a Spectrum Tx, so am thinking about the Orange Rx's that HobbyKinhg sells, coupled with either a single cell LiPo and servos designed for 1 S LiPo, or a 2S Lipo, and the correct servos for that battery. > > > > > > Suggestions? > > > > > > Thanks! > > > Happy New Year! > > > > > > > > > > > > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
Date: Wednesday, January 2, 2013 3:05 AM
I still fly on FM, So I use a Berg receiver. It is perfectly happy on 2S LiPo. Be careful. Most ain't. Or use your light weight Spectrum receiver. My in flight setup looks like: 5g Berg 4L 10g 2 x Dymond D47 9g 2S 120ma LiPo ---- 24g The Dymond D47 is a great servo. Light, reasonable fast, good centering, and it lives happily on 2S LiPo. Look to eFlight or Park Zone for batteries. If your flight pack weighs more, you need to re-think. If it weighs less, good on you. Lee On Tue, Jan 1, 2013 at 7:20 PM, Target <cbbehm.lmbehm@...> wrote: > What are guys running for the on-board gear in the bug? > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
Date: Tuesday, January 1, 2013 11:42 PM
Copy that, Bob- I do remember reading somewhere that the wiring order when the servos come with the JST connectors can differ on the Orange Rx's. I will be careful of that. Sounds like the 1S is still possible for Spektrum if used with care. Thanks! --- On Tue, 1/1/13, Bob Burrier <bobburrier@yahoo.com> wrote: From: Bob Burrier <bobburrier@...> Subject: Re: [BugHLG] Bug gear? To: "BugHLG@yahoogroups.com" <BugHLG@yahoogroups.com> Date: Tuesday, January 1, 2013, 7:31 PM   I fly the Apogee, similar size, for which the plans can be found at charlesriverrc.org.  I am using a 1S 250 mah lipo battery with typical small servos (HS55 or similar) and can fly for about an hour with no problems.  I use the both the light orangerx  and the spectrum small park flyer receivers.  So far, no issues with either, except...  the orange receiver had screwy connectors for which I had to acquire the corresponding servo connector and rewire.  Note that on some of these small receivers, the servo wiring at the connectors is different.  Anyway, charge the 1S Lipo to about 4.2 volts and go fly! Bob ________________________________ From: Target <cbbehm.lmbehm@...> To: BugHLG@yahoogroups.com Sent: Tuesday, January 1, 2013 9:20 PM Subject: [BugHLG] Bug gear?   What are guys running for the on-board gear in the bug? Are servos lighter than the ones shown on the plan suitable? What about single cell LiPo's and servos designed for them? I am running a a Spectrum Tx, so am thinking about the Orange Rx's that HobbyKinhg sells, coupled with either a single cell LiPo and servos designed for 1 S LiPo, or a 2S Lipo, and the correct servos for that battery. Suggestions? Thanks! Happy New Year! [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
Date: Tuesday, January 1, 2013 11:39 PM
Subject: Re: Bug gear?
Thanks Steve. Wow, 500mAh, that's a mammoth battery for the bug! Which servos and where did you get them? Also, are you using the RX61 for the Airt Rx?? Two of the guys building these fly the SD10G. Thanks in advance. --- In BugHLG@yahoogroups.com, Steve Leitgen <sleitgen@...> wrote: > > I've got 4 gm servos, an Airtronics receiver (Airtronics will run on a single lipoly) and a 500mAh cell. Make sure your receiver will work on a single cell. Spectrums need more volts. > > Steve L. > > > On Jan 1, 2013, at 9:20 PM, Target wrote: > > > What are guys running for the on-board gear in the bug? > > Are servos lighter than the ones shown on the plan suitable? > > What about single cell LiPo's and servos designed for them? > > I am running a a Spectrum Tx, so am thinking about the Orange Rx's that HobbyKinhg sells, coupled with either a single cell LiPo and servos designed for 1 S LiPo, or a 2S Lipo, and the correct servos for that battery. > > > > Suggestions? > > > > Thanks! > > Happy New Year! > > > > > > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] >
Date: Tuesday, January 1, 2013 11:12 PM
I've got 4 gm servos, an Airtronics receiver (Airtronics will run on a single lipoly) and a 500mAh cell. Make sure your receiver will work on a single cell. Spectrums need more volts. Steve L. On Jan 1, 2013, at 9:20 PM, Target wrote: > What are guys running for the on-board gear in the bug? > Are servos lighter than the ones shown on the plan suitable? > What about single cell LiPo's and servos designed for them? > I am running a a Spectrum Tx, so am thinking about the Orange Rx's that HobbyKinhg sells, coupled with either a single cell LiPo and servos designed for 1 S LiPo, or a 2S Lipo, and the correct servos for that battery. > > Suggestions? > > Thanks! > Happy New Year! > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
Date: Tuesday, January 1, 2013 10:31 PM
I fly the Apogee, similar size, for which the plans can be found at charlesriverrc.org.  I am using a 1S 250 mah lipo battery with typical small servos (HS55 or similar) and can fly for about an hour with no problems.  I use the both the light orangerx  and the spectrum small park flyer receivers.  So far, no issues with either, except...  the orange receiver had screwy connectors for which I had to acquire the corresponding servo connector and rewire.  Note that on some of these small receivers, the servo wiring at the connectors is different.  Anyway, charge the 1S Lipo to about 4.2 volts and go fly! Bob ________________________________ From: Target <cbbehm.lmbehm@...> To: BugHLG@yahoogroups.com Sent: Tuesday, January 1, 2013 9:20 PM Subject: [BugHLG] Bug gear?   What are guys running for the on-board gear in the bug? Are servos lighter than the ones shown on the plan suitable? What about single cell LiPo's and servos designed for them? I am running a a Spectrum Tx, so am thinking about the Orange Rx's that HobbyKinhg sells, coupled with either a single cell LiPo and servos designed for 1 S LiPo, or a 2S Lipo, and the correct servos for that battery. Suggestions? Thanks! Happy New Year! [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
Date: Tuesday, January 1, 2013 10:20 PM
Subject: Bug gear?
What are guys running for the on-board gear in the bug? Are servos lighter than the ones shown on the plan suitable? What about single cell LiPo's and servos designed for them? I am running a a Spectrum Tx, so am thinking about the Orange Rx's that HobbyKinhg sells, coupled with either a single cell LiPo and servos designed for 1 S LiPo, or a 2S Lipo, and the correct servos for that battery. Suggestions? Thanks! Happy New Year!