Bug HLG

Archive of the Yahoo! Groups mailing list for the Bug hand-launch glider 2002-2018

Date: Tuesday, November 26, 2013 9:58 AM
Subject: RE: Re: [BugHLG] Lightninbug AUW

Great build! 

---In BugHLG@yahoogroups.com, <airporter@...> wrote:

do you have any videos of them

I do not.

My latest Bug, #4, a Lightning Bug, weighs 110 grams, without too much effort to work on the weight.

Porter

I did post four pictures of the #4 Lightning Bug.
Date: Tuesday, November 26, 2013 1:21 AM
Subject: Re: [BugHLG] Lightninbug AUW

I do not.

My latest Bug, #4, a Lightning Bug, weighs 110 grams, without too much effort to work on the weight.

Porter

Date: Tuesday, November 26, 2013 12:11 AM
Subject: RE: Re: [BugHLG] Lightninbug AUW

---In BugHLG@yahoogroups.com, <airporter@...> wrote:

Porter

Date: Monday, November 25, 2013 7:41 PM

Porter

Date: Monday, November 25, 2013 6:39 PM
My competition model is 98gms. I use a 500mAh single cell and a micro Airtronics receiver 3.5 gm servos. Contest balsa. Steve My latest Bug, #4, a Lightning Bug, weighs 110 grams, without too much effort to work on the weight. The pod is finished with 2 oz glass tape applied with CA and sprayed metallic blue with automotive lacquer. The canopy is finished with 1/2 oz glass cloth applied with CA and sprayed white with ACE appliance epoxy, retained with a tab and a magnet. The main ribs in the wing are reinforced with 0.12 mm x 1.5 mm carbon and the trailing edge is 0.7 – 0.5 mm x 3 mm trapezoidal trailing edge, both from A2Z. The wing is retained by a 1/8” carbon tube in the front and a 4-40 nylon screw in the rear. The tail surfaces are ‘skeletonized’ with the same carbon as the wing cap strips. The elevator is retained by two 2-56 nylon screws. Covering is Ultracote Lite transparent white. All of the tubes, wing spars and tail boom, are tapered, items left over from prior projects. The pushrods are 0.030” carbon rods in bondable Teflon tubes from Rick Walba, tailboom.com. The servos are Dymond D44s which are now, unfortunately, unobtanium. The receiver is a Spectrum AR 6300. The battery is a Kennedy 240 mah Smart Lipo. This winter I’m going to build one more Bug or Lightning Bug with a new airfoil and a bit of an effort to watch the weight, just to see if my prior Bugs can be improved upon. Porter [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
Date: Wednesday, November 20, 2013 8:02 PM
Subject: Re: Lightninbug AUW
Thanks for the responses. Boy, only 98g! That is some kind of light. John, why do you prefer the heavier one? Is the CG on the plan exactky where you have balanced your LBs or merely a point of reference for fine tuning? Are there any videos or pictures of your Lightninbugs? If so please point me to where they can be viewed. g --- In BugHLG@yahoogroups.com, John Gallagher <gldrgidr@...> wrote: > > My old one is 120 grams and the new one 115 grams.  I like flying the old one better. >   > John > > > ________________________________ > From: Steve Leitgen <sleitgen@...> > To: "BugHLG@yahoogroups.com" <BugHLG@yahoogroups.com> > Sent: Wednesday, November 20, 2013 12:44 PM > Subject: Re: [BugHLG] Lightninbug AUW > > > >   > My competition model is 98gms.  > I use a 500mAh single cell and a micro Airtronics receiver 3.5 gm servos. Contest balsa.  > > Steve > > Sent from my iPhone > > On Nov 20, 2013, at 10:56 AM, "giuseppi1955" <giuseppi@...> wrote: > > >   > >I Finished the Lightninbug. The AUW is 138g w/o battery and with three 240mAh LiPos wired in parallel and stuffed in the nose it balances perfectly according to the CG on the plans but comes in at a portly AUW of 155g. > > > >I'm curious to know how my LB's AUW compares to that of the rest of you here on the group. > > > >I haven't maidened or even done any glide testing as of today. > > > >g > > > > >
Date: Wednesday, November 20, 2013 7:13 PM
Hi from Bob Markle aka RCbobcat55 My bug weighs 143 gms rtf with a 4 cell 300 nimh pack, two BATS 4,3 gm sub micro servos, and Spektrum AR6110e rcvr and it flies just fine. I was thinking of building another fuselage and tail set with contest balsa and using a HK 415 nano 4ch rcvr, two HK nano servos, and a shred rc 1 cell lipo  with built-in charger and regulator. I may have to make the nose a little longer to avoid using lead to balance it. That's my 2 cents worth..

On Wednesday, November 20, 2013 4:17 PM, John Gallagher wrote:
My old one is 120 grams and the new one 115 grams. I like flying the old one better.
John

To: "BugHLG@yahoogroups.com"
Sent: Wednesday, November 20, 2013 12:44 PM

My competition model is 98gms.
I use a 500mAh single cell and a micro Airtronics receiver 3.5 gm servos. Contest balsa. 

Steve

Sent from my iPhone

On Nov 20, 2013, at 10:56 AM, "giuseppi1955" <giuseppi@...> wrote:

I Finished the Lightninbug. The AUW is 138g w/o battery and with three 240mAh LiPos wired in parallel and stuffed in the nose it balances perfectly according to the CG on the plans but comes in at a portly AUW of 155g.

I'm curious to know how my LB's AUW compares to that of the rest of you here on the group.

I haven't maidened or even done any glide testing as of today.

g

Date: Wednesday, November 20, 2013 4:12 PM
My old one is 120 grams and the new one 115 grams. I like flying the old one better.
John

To: "BugHLG@yahoogroups.com"
Sent: Wednesday, November 20, 2013 12:44 PM

I use a 500mAh single cell and a micro Airtronics receiver 3.5 gm servos. Contest balsa.

Steve

Sent from my iPhone

I Finished the Lightninbug. The AUW is 138g w/o battery and with three 240mAh LiPos wired in parallel and stuffed in the nose it balances perfectly according to the CG on the plans but comes in at a portly AUW of 155g.

I'm curious to know how my LB's AUW compares to that of the rest of you here on the group.

g

Date: Wednesday, November 20, 2013 12:44 PM

Steve

Sent from my iPhone

g

Date: Wednesday, November 20, 2013 11:56 AM
Subject: Lightninbug AUW
I Finished the Lightninbug. The AUW is 138g w/o battery and with three 240mAh LiPos wired in parallel and stuffed in the nose it balances perfectly according to the CG on the plans but comes in at a portly AUW of 155g. I'm curious to know how my LB's AUW compares to that of the rest of you here on the group. I haven't maidened or even done any glide testing as of today. g