Bug HLG

Archive of the Yahoo! Groups mailing list for the Bug hand-launch glider 2002-2018

Date: Thursday, December 12, 2013 9:07 PM
Subject: RE: New BugX upload.

Hello from RCbobcat55  I get my plans for my kits printed at Kinkos/fedex which is near my home and they charge by the square foot and if i ask them they will print on wider paper. their machines print from rolls. i have a set of plans for one of my kits which is an oddball size-22 by 42 and they only charge me for the square feet used. the difference between square feet is $1.75 so it is no big deal. My wife runs a print shop and got me a 500 sheet package of 23 by 35 paper which is some printing size for their large presses and scanners so I have to keep the size in mind when making drawings as their machines like a 1/2" margin. kinko's will print right to the edges. I hope this helps in some way. RCbobcat55  pm is RCbobcat55@gmail.com

Date: Tuesday, December 10, 2013 12:22 PM
Thanks John for the new file. I was looking at the smaller BugX because I wanted to do a take apart Bug that would fit into my scooter trunk for flying at a local park. Probably not advisable for weight and strength, but I've done a 3-piece Tercel hlg wing that worked quite well. I do think the Lightning Bug looks like the better glider.
Paul
Date: Tuesday, December 10, 2013 12:05 PM
Thanks John for the new file. I was looking at the smaller bug to use as a take apart glider that would fit into the trunk of my scooter to take to a local park. It's probably not advisable from a strength and weight point of view, but I've done a 3-piece Tercel hlg wing that worked quite well. I do think that the Lightning Bug is a better glider and I might still go with that one.
Paul
Date: Tuesday, December 10, 2013 8:55 AM

Tom,

If you look closely at the drawing there is no way I can squeeze the drawing to eliminate 2 inches from the y axes.  I could make the drawing wider, but that would take away some of the clarity of where the formers should go.  Either way, it's never going to be 34 X 22.  Would a 36 X 22 drawing be that much cheaper to print?  Sounds like it would still be too large to get the cheaper rate.

John

Date: Tuesday, December 10, 2013 12:24 AM

John,

I printed your BugXr16.pdf file to my HP DesignJet and it plotted accurately.

You may want to consider sizing your page to fit on an ANSI-D size sheet (22" x 34"). Your actual page size callout is 24" x 36".

I don't know if you were planning on most people printing in poster mode using 8.5" x 11" sheet sizes, but if someone elects to have the plan printed at Kinkos, Officemax, etc. there is a good chance that a "fit" will be made at the store to allow the plan to fit an ANSI-D sheet or they will print to an ANSI-E sized sheet that will be more expensive..If a "fit" is made, then the actual sizing on the printed plan will be altered.

The Y-AXIS (24") causes the most problem.You may be able to squeeze things together vertically by reducing the font size, suppressing margins beyond the sheet border, and move the scale and legend box a bit closer to the fuselage to allow the views to fit in 22" or less.

I apologize if you got this email twice. The first email seems to have drifted off into the ether.

Tom

---In BugHLG@yahoogroups.com, <gldrgidr@...> wrote:

I have uploaded a new version of the BugX - BugXr16.pdf.  It's available in the files section.  Let me know how it prints out.

Why didn't you just use the Lightninbug plans?  The BugX plan was meant to be a filler until the Lightninbug plans were finished.

John

Date: Sunday, December 8, 2013 9:47 PM
John,

I printed the BugXr16.pdf file to an HP DesignJet this evening and initially everything looks fine, with one exception.

I don't know if you were intending for most people to print on 8.5" x 11" paper in poster mode, but the actual PDF document size is 24" x 36" and it won't print fully on a single ANSI-D sized sheet (22" x 34").

If someone were to have the plan printed at Kinkos, Officemax, etc. and that person didn't specify not to "fit" the plan to an ANSI-D sheet, these service centers will usually force a fit and the actual plan will then be "off" by a bit in the Y-axis or both axises depending on the type of "fit". The other alternative would be to have the sheet printed on an ANSI-E sized sheet, but the cost usually goes up quite a bit.

If you can squeeze the 24" (Y-axis) dimension down by +2" then you should be able to fit an ANSI-D sheet. If the views were moved closer together,  drawing scale and legend box moved up, the text font size reduced, and margins suppressed, I think that everything will fit on a single ANSI-D sheet.

Thanks for the hard work!

Tom
Date: Sunday, December 8, 2013 8:15 PM
Subject: New BugX upload.

I have uploaded a new version of the BugX - BugXr16.pdf.  It's available in the files section.  Let me know how it prints out.

Why didn't you just use the Lightninbug plans?  The BugX plan was meant to be a filler until the Lightninbug plans were finished.

John