Bug HLG

Archive of the Yahoo! Groups mailing list for the Bug hand-launch glider 2002-2018

Date: Monday, August 19, 2002 8:44 AM
Subject: Lace Wing Bug photos posted
Hi all, Finally finished my lace wing Bug. The wing has built-up ribs, tips and trailing edge, and loads of gussets. The carbon spar extends out to the tip and attaches directly to thumb and finger pads. Water based poly finish on the fuse and tail feathers, Reynolds Wrap for wing covering. .020 music wire for full length of push rods (may change to carbon later). It's hard to see from the photo that the elevator pushrod exits the back of the boom and bends 180 degrees to the horn. The horizontal stab is mounted on a short pylon, vertical stab is mounted almost centered on the fuse boom. Horns are cut from hardwood stirring sticks, hinges are cotton cloth. GWS receiver and HS-50 servos for control. The antenna is a length of magnet wire running around the perimeter of the right wing. With a four cell 50 mah battery and switch, it weighs less than 3 ounces (on my inaccurate postal scale). I hope to test fly it this evening, and you may be able to see the results here: http://www.silbert.com/site/meffa/sessions.htm