Bug HLG

Archive of the Yahoo! Groups mailing list for the Bug hand-launch glider 2002-2018

Date: Tuesday, August 20, 2002 4:12 PM
Subject: Re: Successful first flying sessions
No need to crack the hinge because they are not stiff if you blot them good. They only have enough to keep the FG from wicking up the glue. I have just used surfaces attachment with a small amount of wood glue I wipe out with my finger. --- In BugHLG@y..., "bob_chiang2" <rhc3@c...> wrote: > Wow am I impressed with the Bug. I did some gentle slope soaring > yesterday evening, and attempted some thermal flying in an open field > during lunch today. I managed a one minute timed flight today but > wasn't able to stay with any lift to get very high. (Finally bonked > the nose hard enough for the battery to slide forward and split a fuse > seam). > > I made a few side arm launches, and so far the "lace wing" is fine. > With the cruciform tail, it launches straight out with no presets. It > seems to hold whatever angle you launch at. Kind of fun to javelin > launch at a low angle and then pull up, or launch at a very high angle > and then bunt over. What a fun model. > > Regarding hinges: I used cotton cloth attached with Duco cement (just > like my old control line models). With the glass hinges, do you crack > a flex line in them? Do you attach them on one side of the surface or > slot them into the middle of the surfaces?
Date: Tuesday, August 20, 2002 3:53 PM
Subject: Successful first flying sessions
Wow am I impressed with the Bug. I did some gentle slope soaring yesterday evening, and attempted some thermal flying in an open field during lunch today. I managed a one minute timed flight today but wasn't able to stay with any lift to get very high. (Finally bonked the nose hard enough for the battery to slide forward and split a fuse seam). I made a few side arm launches, and so far the "lace wing" is fine. With the cruciform tail, it launches straight out with no presets. It seems to hold whatever angle you launch at. Kind of fun to javelin launch at a low angle and then pull up, or launch at a very high angle and then bunt over. What a fun model. Regarding hinges: I used cotton cloth attached with Duco cement (just like my old control line models). With the glass hinges, do you crack a flex line in them? Do you attach them on one side of the surface or slot them into the middle of the surfaces?