Bug HLG

Archive of the Yahoo! Groups mailing list for the Bug hand-launch glider 2002-2018

Date: Thursday, October 3, 2002 10:49 AM
Subject: Re: [BugHLG] Re: Wide Bug
Chris is correct, it's the ANGLE of the dihedral that you want to keep when you extend a wing, not the amount each tip is lifted up from level. If you keep the dihedral angle the same the extended wing will have the same amount of yaw induced roll from the dihedral even if it is a wider span. (give or take the additional drag effects). Al > > John - I added one rib to each side for the Lil' Bugger and used > the stock dihedral angle. To double check I just measured to the > first rib in from the tip instead. It flies great and I was still able to > get in at 3.5 ounces. For LB2 I'm going even wider (possibly 44") > and using a thinner, narrower chord AG 30 seiries airfoil. I hope > to have it finished to fly this weekend. > > Chris > > --- In BugHLG@y..., "John Gospodarek" <John.Gospodarek@i...> > wrote: > > Dan, > > I like the idea of the added strength so I built with the added rib > > on each side. I was going to adjust the tip height to allow for > the > > added length, but forgot. I ended up with a lower angle but I > > haven't noticed any major differences. The angle is not all that > > much different. The wing is bigger and thus turns a little wider > > (but not all that much). It may be hard to find someone who > has > > tried it both ways, and with different angles, so just give it a try > > and let us know. Good luck. > > > > > > --- In BugHLG@y..., "Dan" <danstrider@a...> wrote: > > > What is the consensus on how much dihedral to use for the > extended > > > wing? Plans call for 5 1/8" at the tip of the normal wing - are > > you > > > simply using the same angle? > > > > > > Has anyone noticed a difference in adding an extra set of > ribs > > > versus increasing the rib spacing? Besides wing strength > with the > > > extra ribs, would the airfoil be more consistent with more ribs > > > supporting the covering? > > > > > > Dan > > > > > > --- In BugHLG@y..., "John Gospodarek" < > John.Gospodarek@i...> wrote: > > > > Ya Allen You're right, that size of increase is not enough to > > need > > > > bigger feathers. I can notice that it is not quite as quick in > > the > > > > turns as the short wing but, I found the short wing was > almost > > to > > > > fast in the turns. With the bigger wing I fly much smoother. > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > --- In BugHLG@y..., Allan Wright <aew@m...> wrote: > > > > > Ahh, then the normal tail should have worked great. My > > extended > > > wing > > > > > bug ended up at 97cm and had plenty of rudder authority. > > > > > > > > > > Al > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Allen, I only added 5 in total. > > > > > > > > > > > > "I added right at five inches (the space between the 3rd > and > > > > > > 4th rib on both sides is +-2.5 inches). I made a copy of > > both > > > > wing > > > > > > sections and taped the third rib on one down over the > forth > > > rib > > > > on > > > > > > the other." > > > > > > > > > > > > I added one rib on both side and placed it at the > location > > of > > > the > > > > #4 > > > > > > rib (pushing the #4 rib out). That added the space of > aprox. > > > 2.5 > > > > in > > > > > > to each panel. That is about the same as what you > added I > > > think. > > > > five > > > > > > inches is about 12.5 cm. I left the tale and boom the > same. > > In > > > > fact I > > > > > > change the wings on the same fuse from the short to > the long > > > > > > depending on the day, wind, and lift. I used a little less > > > > dihedral > > > > > > than the plans called for by mistake. I did not have the > > wing > > > > tips > > > > > > set high enough when I glued the halfs together. > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > --- In BugHLG@y..., Allan Wright <aew@m...> wrote: > > > > > > > > I did it with out recalculation. I built the wing on the > > > copy > > > > of > > > > > > the > > > > > > > > plans and just installed the rod in the first and last > > > rib. > > > > Then > > > > > > I > > > > > > > > placed each rib flat on the plans and marked where > the > > rod > > > > > > crossed > > > > > > > > the rib to know the location of the hole. That way I > did > > > not > > > > > > decrease > > > > > > > > the strength of the wing with less ribs per/span. > > > > > > > > > > > > > > this is definately the right way to go if you're adding 5" > > > per > > > > > > panel. I > > > > > > > was more conservative and added about 6cm to each > panel > > with > > > > the > > > > > > same > > > > > > > ribs so I just stretched it out. I'm sure your wing has > > more > > > > area > > > > > > then > > > > > > > mind did and probably flys better. > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Did you go ahead and increase the size of the V-tails > or > > > > lengthen > > > > > > the moment > > > > > > > arm (boom) a little to help with maneuverability? My > > > extended > > > > wing > > > > > > was so > > > > > > > slight of a change I didn't bother. > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Al > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > ================================================ > ===================== > > > = > > > > > > ========= > > > > > > > Allan Wright Jr. | Without love life's just a > > > long > > > > > > fight - Southside > > > > > > > University of New Hampshire +------------------------------ > > -- > > > --- > > > > ---- > > > > > > ----------- > > > > > > > Research Computing Center | WWI Modeling > mailing list: > > > > wwi@w... > > > > > > > Internet: aew@u... | WWI Modeling WWW Page: > > > > http://www.wwi- > > > > > > models.org > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > ================================================ > ===================== > > > = > > > > > > ========= > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: > > > > > > BugHLG-unsubscribe@y... > > > > > > Home Page - http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BugHLG/ > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to > > > > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > ================================================ > ===================== > > > = > > > > ========= > > > > > Allan Wright Jr. | Without love life's just a long > > > > fight - Southside > > > > > University of New Hampshire +---------------------------------- > > -- > > > --- > > > > ----------- > > > > > Research Computing Center | WWI Modeling mailing > list: > > wwi@w... > > > > > Internet: aew@u... | WWI Modeling WWW Page: > > http://www.wwi- > > > > models.org > > > > > > > > > > > > > > ================================================ > ===================== > > > = > > > > ========= > > > > To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: > BugHLG-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com > Home Page - http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BugHLG/ > > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ > > > =============================================================================== Allan Wright Jr. | Without love life's just a long fight - Southside University of New Hampshire +-------------------------------------------------- Research Computing Center | WWI Modeling mailing list: wwi@... Internet: aew@... | WWI Modeling WWW Page: http://www.wwi-models.org ===============================================================================
Date: Thursday, October 3, 2002 10:41 AM
Subject: Re: Wide Bug
John - I added one rib to each side for the Lil' Bugger and used the stock dihedral angle. To double check I just measured to the first rib in from the tip instead. It flies great and I was still able to get in at 3.5 ounces. For LB2 I'm going even wider (possibly 44") and using a thinner, narrower chord AG 30 seiries airfoil. I hope to have it finished to fly this weekend. Chris --- In BugHLG@y..., "John Gospodarek" <John.Gospodarek@i...> wrote: > Dan, > I like the idea of the added strength so I built with the added rib > on each side. I was going to adjust the tip height to allow for the > added length, but forgot. I ended up with a lower angle but I > haven't noticed any major differences. The angle is not all that > much different. The wing is bigger and thus turns a little wider > (but not all that much). It may be hard to find someone who has > tried it both ways, and with different angles, so just give it a try > and let us know. Good luck. > > > --- In BugHLG@y..., "Dan" <danstrider@a...> wrote: > > What is the consensus on how much dihedral to use for the extended > > wing? Plans call for 5 1/8" at the tip of the normal wing - are > you > > simply using the same angle? > > > > Has anyone noticed a difference in adding an extra set of ribs > > versus increasing the rib spacing? Besides wing strength with the > > extra ribs, would the airfoil be more consistent with more ribs > > supporting the covering? > > > > Dan > > > > --- In BugHLG@y..., "John Gospodarek" < John.Gospodarek@i...> wrote: > > > Ya Allen You're right, that size of increase is not enough to > need > > > bigger feathers. I can notice that it is not quite as quick in > the > > > turns as the short wing but, I found the short wing was almost > to > > > fast in the turns. With the bigger wing I fly much smoother. > > > > > > > > > > > > --- In BugHLG@y..., Allan Wright <aew@m...> wrote: > > > > Ahh, then the normal tail should have worked great. My > extended > > wing > > > > bug ended up at 97cm and had plenty of rudder authority. > > > > > > > > Al > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Allen, I only added 5 in total. > > > > > > > > > > "I added right at five inches (the space between the 3rd and > > > > > 4th rib on both sides is +-2.5 inches). I made a copy of > both > > > wing > > > > > sections and taped the third rib on one down over the forth > > rib > > > on > > > > > the other." > > > > > > > > > > I added one rib on both side and placed it at the location > of > > the > > > #4 > > > > > rib (pushing the #4 rib out). That added the space of aprox. > > 2.5 > > > in > > > > > to each panel. That is about the same as what you added I > > think. > > > five > > > > > inches is about 12.5 cm. I left the tale and boom the same. > In > > > fact I > > > > > change the wings on the same fuse from the short to the long > > > > > depending on the day, wind, and lift. I used a little less > > > dihedral > > > > > than the plans called for by mistake. I did not have the > wing > > > tips > > > > > set high enough when I glued the halfs together. > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > --- In BugHLG@y..., Allan Wright <aew@m...> wrote: > > > > > > > I did it with out recalculation. I built the wing on the > > copy > > > of > > > > > the > > > > > > > plans and just installed the rod in the first and last > > rib. > > > Then > > > > > I > > > > > > > placed each rib flat on the plans and marked where the > rod > > > > > crossed > > > > > > > the rib to know the location of the hole. That way I did > > not > > > > > decrease > > > > > > > the strength of the wing with less ribs per/span. > > > > > > > > > > > > this is definately the right way to go if you're adding 5" > > per > > > > > panel. I > > > > > > was more conservative and added about 6cm to each panel > with > > > the > > > > > same > > > > > > ribs so I just stretched it out. I'm sure your wing has > more > > > area > > > > > then > > > > > > mind did and probably flys better. > > > > > > > > > > > > Did you go ahead and increase the size of the V-tails or > > > lengthen > > > > > the moment > > > > > > arm (boom) a little to help with maneuverability? My > > extended > > > wing > > > > > was so > > > > > > slight of a change I didn't bother. > > > > > > > > > > > > Al > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > ================================================ ===================== > > = > > > > > ========= > > > > > > Allan Wright Jr. | Without love life's just a > > long > > > > > fight - Southside > > > > > > University of New Hampshire +------------------------------ > -- > > --- > > > ---- > > > > > ----------- > > > > > > Research Computing Center | WWI Modeling mailing list: > > > wwi@w... > > > > > > Internet: aew@u... | WWI Modeling WWW Page: > > > http://www.wwi- > > > > > models.org > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > ================================================ ===================== > > = > > > > > ========= > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: > > > > > BugHLG-unsubscribe@y... > > > > > Home Page - http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BugHLG/ > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to > > > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > ================================================ ===================== > > = > > > ========= > > > > Allan Wright Jr. | Without love life's just a long > > > fight - Southside > > > > University of New Hampshire +---------------------------------- > -- > > --- > > > ----------- > > > > Research Computing Center | WWI Modeling mailing list: > wwi@w... > > > > Internet: aew@u... | WWI Modeling WWW Page: > http://www.wwi- > > > models.org > > > > > > > > > > ================================================ ===================== > > = > > > =========
Date: Wednesday, October 2, 2002 5:00 PM
Dan, I like the idea of the added strength so I built with the added rib on each side. I was going to adjust the tip height to allow for the added length, but forgot. I ended up with a lower angle but I haven't noticed any major differences. The angle is not all that much different. The wing is bigger and thus turns a little wider (but not all that much). It may be hard to find someone who has tried it both ways, and with different angles, so just give it a try and let us know. Good luck. --- In BugHLG@y..., "Dan" <danstrider@a...> wrote: > What is the consensus on how much dihedral to use for the extended > wing? Plans call for 5 1/8" at the tip of the normal wing - are you > simply using the same angle? > > Has anyone noticed a difference in adding an extra set of ribs > versus increasing the rib spacing? Besides wing strength with the > extra ribs, would the airfoil be more consistent with more ribs > supporting the covering? > > Dan > > --- In BugHLG@y..., "John Gospodarek" <John.Gospodarek@i...> wrote: > > Ya Allen You're right, that size of increase is not enough to need > > bigger feathers. I can notice that it is not quite as quick in the > > turns as the short wing but, I found the short wing was almost to > > fast in the turns. With the bigger wing I fly much smoother. > > > > > > > > --- In BugHLG@y..., Allan Wright <aew@m...> wrote: > > > Ahh, then the normal tail should have worked great. My extended > wing > > > bug ended up at 97cm and had plenty of rudder authority. > > > > > > Al > > > > > > > > > > > Allen, I only added 5 in total. > > > > > > > > "I added right at five inches (the space between the 3rd and > > > > 4th rib on both sides is +-2.5 inches). I made a copy of both > > wing > > > > sections and taped the third rib on one down over the forth > rib > > on > > > > the other." > > > > > > > > I added one rib on both side and placed it at the location of > the > > #4 > > > > rib (pushing the #4 rib out). That added the space of aprox. > 2.5 > > in > > > > to each panel. That is about the same as what you added I > think. > > five > > > > inches is about 12.5 cm. I left the tale and boom the same. In > > fact I > > > > change the wings on the same fuse from the short to the long > > > > depending on the day, wind, and lift. I used a little less > > dihedral > > > > than the plans called for by mistake. I did not have the wing > > tips > > > > set high enough when I glued the halfs together. > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > --- In BugHLG@y..., Allan Wright <aew@m...> wrote: > > > > > > I did it with out recalculation. I built the wing on the > copy > > of > > > > the > > > > > > plans and just installed the rod in the first and last > rib. > > Then > > > > I > > > > > > placed each rib flat on the plans and marked where the rod > > > > crossed > > > > > > the rib to know the location of the hole. That way I did > not > > > > decrease > > > > > > the strength of the wing with less ribs per/span. > > > > > > > > > > this is definately the right way to go if you're adding 5" > per > > > > panel. I > > > > > was more conservative and added about 6cm to each panel with > > the > > > > same > > > > > ribs so I just stretched it out. I'm sure your wing has more > > area > > > > then > > > > > mind did and probably flys better. > > > > > > > > > > Did you go ahead and increase the size of the V-tails or > > lengthen > > > > the moment > > > > > arm (boom) a little to help with maneuverability? My > extended > > wing > > > > was so > > > > > slight of a change I didn't bother. > > > > > > > > > > Al > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > ===================================================================== > = > > > > ========= > > > > > Allan Wright Jr. | Without love life's just a > long > > > > fight - Southside > > > > > University of New Hampshire +------------------------------ -- > --- > > ---- > > > > ----------- > > > > > Research Computing Center | WWI Modeling mailing list: > > wwi@w... > > > > > Internet: aew@u... | WWI Modeling WWW Page: > > http://www.wwi- > > > > models.org > > > > > > > > > > > > ===================================================================== > = > > > > ========= > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: > > > > BugHLG-unsubscribe@y... > > > > Home Page - http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BugHLG/ > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to > > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > ===================================================================== > = > > ========= > > > Allan Wright Jr. | Without love life's just a long > > fight - Southside > > > University of New Hampshire +---------------------------------- -- > --- > > ----------- > > > Research Computing Center | WWI Modeling mailing list: wwi@w... > > > Internet: aew@u... | WWI Modeling WWW Page: http://www.wwi- > > models.org > > > > > > ===================================================================== > = > > =========
Date: Wednesday, October 2, 2002 4:16 PM
What is the consensus on how much dihedral to use for the extended wing? Plans call for 5 1/8" at the tip of the normal wing - are you simply using the same angle? Has anyone noticed a difference in adding an extra set of ribs versus increasing the rib spacing? Besides wing strength with the extra ribs, would the airfoil be more consistent with more ribs supporting the covering? Dan --- In BugHLG@y..., "John Gospodarek" <John.Gospodarek@i...> wrote: > Ya Allen You're right, that size of increase is not enough to need > bigger feathers. I can notice that it is not quite as quick in the > turns as the short wing but, I found the short wing was almost to > fast in the turns. With the bigger wing I fly much smoother. > > > > --- In BugHLG@y..., Allan Wright <aew@m...> wrote: > > Ahh, then the normal tail should have worked great. My extended wing > > bug ended up at 97cm and had plenty of rudder authority. > > > > Al > > > > > > > > Allen, I only added 5 in total. > > > > > > "I added right at five inches (the space between the 3rd and > > > 4th rib on both sides is +-2.5 inches). I made a copy of both > wing > > > sections and taped the third rib on one down over the forth rib > on > > > the other." > > > > > > I added one rib on both side and placed it at the location of the > #4 > > > rib (pushing the #4 rib out). That added the space of aprox. 2.5 > in > > > to each panel. That is about the same as what you added I think. > five > > > inches is about 12.5 cm. I left the tale and boom the same. In > fact I > > > change the wings on the same fuse from the short to the long > > > depending on the day, wind, and lift. I used a little less > dihedral > > > than the plans called for by mistake. I did not have the wing > tips > > > set high enough when I glued the halfs together. > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > --- In BugHLG@y..., Allan Wright <aew@m...> wrote: > > > > > I did it with out recalculation. I built the wing on the copy > of > > > the > > > > > plans and just installed the rod in the first and last rib. > Then > > > I > > > > > placed each rib flat on the plans and marked where the rod > > > crossed > > > > > the rib to know the location of the hole. That way I did not > > > decrease > > > > > the strength of the wing with less ribs per/span. > > > > > > > > this is definately the right way to go if you're adding 5" per > > > panel. I > > > > was more conservative and added about 6cm to each panel with > the > > > same > > > > ribs so I just stretched it out. I'm sure your wing has more > area > > > then > > > > mind did and probably flys better. > > > > > > > > Did you go ahead and increase the size of the V-tails or > lengthen > > > the moment > > > > arm (boom) a little to help with maneuverability? My extended > wing > > > was so > > > > slight of a change I didn't bother. > > > > > > > > Al > > > > > > > > > > > > ===================================================================== = > > > ========= > > > > Allan Wright Jr. | Without love life's just a long > > > fight - Southside > > > > University of New Hampshire +-------------------------------- --- > ---- > > > ----------- > > > > Research Computing Center | WWI Modeling mailing list: > wwi@w... > > > > Internet: aew@u... | WWI Modeling WWW Page: > http://www.wwi- > > > models.org > > > > > > > > ===================================================================== = > > > ========= > > > > > > > > > > > > To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: > > > BugHLG-unsubscribe@y... > > > Home Page - http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BugHLG/ > > > > > > > > > > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > ===================================================================== = > ========= > > Allan Wright Jr. | Without love life's just a long > fight - Southside > > University of New Hampshire +------------------------------------ --- > ----------- > > Research Computing Center | WWI Modeling mailing list: wwi@w... > > Internet: aew@u... | WWI Modeling WWW Page: http://www.wwi- > models.org > > > ===================================================================== = > =========
Date: Tuesday, October 1, 2002 2:24 PM
Subject: Re: 1/8" great size
John, I bought a 1/8" micro carbon tube from Aerospace Composite Products (TU-0002). According to the ACP website (www.acp-composites): "GRAPHITE TUBES - Graphite tubes are the ultimate push rods since they contain 95% unidirectional carbon fiber running longitudinally and are covered with a light glass scrim. This design offers a high stiffness to weight ratio and makes these tubes ideal for 1/4 scale aircraft pushrods, and slope soarer and helicopter tail booms." For lack of a gram scale, the boom deflects approximately 5/16" with four US quarters placed 13 5/8" from the fixed end. I have 14 5/8" boom from the end of the pod. With my convential tail (plans in carbon bug phots), the hinge line of the elevator is +1/2" from the end of the boom. I have photos in the "Dan E." album. Best of luck and sorry about your last 1/8" boom. Dan --- In BugHLG@y..., "John Gospodarek" <John.Gospodarek@i...> wrote: > Maybe you have a thicker wall 1/8th inch tube. I am glad to here of > your luck with the 1/8th inch tubes. I will have to try again. I fly > kites and I know that you can get CF tubes of the same size with > different deflection rates. Mine was real floppy (lots of > deflection) and did not work well at the standard Bug length. Do you > know the manufacture of the tube you used? Also was it a Pultruded > or CF Raped or straight CF? Thanks. > > > > --- In BugHLG@y..., "Dan" <danstrider@a...> wrote: > > I must disagree about the 1/8" booms. > > > > I have an extended 1/8" boom, around 14.5" inches out of the > > fuselage with cruciform feathers, and I can easily hit 50 feet > > during launches. In fact, I went to the Down East Soaring Society > > thermal duration contest and consistently outlaunched a Taboo > ($400 > > foam & fg hlg). Granted, this was an open class contest and it > was > > just four of us messing with hlg's afterwards. My launches are > full- > > discus as hard as I can throw. The Bug tracks straight up with no > > elevator preset, and tracks supurb with a hair down and right > rudder > > launch preset. > > > > Yes, the boom is somewhat flimsier than the 3/16" HOWEVER, only > > during launches does the tail see enough air to deflect the boom. > > Most flights do not produce enough force on the tail to deflect > the > > 1/8" boom. I still have enough control authority to pull loops, > > another high-force on the tail manover. > > > > Indeed, the decreased weight has helped too. My times have > > definitely increased. I flew a 3:23 after the DESS contest, > second > > flight of the day. My best time of 4:30 was also done with the > 1/8" > > tail and cruciform setup. > > > > Remember to keep the tail light! With the extra long moment arm, > > weight becomes an issue. > > > > Just my two cents' worth. I feel an obiligtory need to defend the > > 1/8" boom with my successes. > > > > Dan
Date: Tuesday, October 1, 2002 9:13 AM
Subject: Re: 1/8" great size
Maybe you have a thicker wall 1/8th inch tube. I am glad to here of your luck with the 1/8th inch tubes. I will have to try again. I fly kites and I know that you can get CF tubes of the same size with different deflection rates. Mine was real floppy (lots of deflection) and did not work well at the standard Bug length. Do you know the manufacture of the tube you used? Also was it a Pultruded or CF Raped or straight CF? Thanks. --- In BugHLG@y..., "Dan" <danstrider@a...> wrote: > I must disagree about the 1/8" booms. > > I have an extended 1/8" boom, around 14.5" inches out of the > fuselage with cruciform feathers, and I can easily hit 50 feet > during launches. In fact, I went to the Down East Soaring Society > thermal duration contest and consistently outlaunched a Taboo ($400 > foam & fg hlg). Granted, this was an open class contest and it was > just four of us messing with hlg's afterwards. My launches are full- > discus as hard as I can throw. The Bug tracks straight up with no > elevator preset, and tracks supurb with a hair down and right rudder > launch preset. > > Yes, the boom is somewhat flimsier than the 3/16" HOWEVER, only > during launches does the tail see enough air to deflect the boom. > Most flights do not produce enough force on the tail to deflect the > 1/8" boom. I still have enough control authority to pull loops, > another high-force on the tail manover. > > Indeed, the decreased weight has helped too. My times have > definitely increased. I flew a 3:23 after the DESS contest, second > flight of the day. My best time of 4:30 was also done with the 1/8" > tail and cruciform setup. > > Remember to keep the tail light! With the extra long moment arm, > weight becomes an issue. > > Just my two cents' worth. I feel an obiligtory need to defend the > 1/8" boom with my successes. > > Dan
Date: Tuesday, October 1, 2002 12:52 AM
Subject: 1/8" great size
I must disagree about the 1/8" booms. I have an extended 1/8" boom, around 14.5" inches out of the fuselage with cruciform feathers, and I can easily hit 50 feet during launches. In fact, I went to the Down East Soaring Society thermal duration contest and consistently outlaunched a Taboo ($400 foam & fg hlg). Granted, this was an open class contest and it was just four of us messing with hlg's afterwards. My launches are full- discus as hard as I can throw. The Bug tracks straight up with no elevator preset, and tracks supurb with a hair down and right rudder launch preset. Yes, the boom is somewhat flimsier than the 3/16" HOWEVER, only during launches does the tail see enough air to deflect the boom. Most flights do not produce enough force on the tail to deflect the 1/8" boom. I still have enough control authority to pull loops, another high-force on the tail manover. Indeed, the decreased weight has helped too. My times have definitely increased. I flew a 3:23 after the DESS contest, second flight of the day. My best time of 4:30 was also done with the 1/8" tail and cruciform setup. Remember to keep the tail light! With the extra long moment arm, weight becomes an issue. Just my two cents' worth. I feel an obiligtory need to defend the 1/8" boom with my successes. Dan
Date: Monday, September 30, 2002 10:41 AM
Subject: RE: [BugHLG] Re: 1/16 tooooooo small!!!!!
Bob Mail me at home to remind me and I will send you a drawing for a Bigger Bug. That flies very well. Stephen.wheeler@... Steve Wheeler -----Original Message----- From: bob_chiang2 [mailto:rhc3@...] Sent: 30 September 2002 14:29 To: BugHLG@yahoogroups.com Subject: [BugHLG] Re: 1/16 tooooooo small!!!!! Hi John, Thanks for the report on your experience. I had been thinking of building one with a 1/8" boom, so you saved me the disapointment. It sounds like I should build a new wing with extra area. The performance of the Gambler is awsome (based on the movie): much better than my Bug in still air. Would you suggest any changes to the boom length with a longer wing? -BC --- In BugHLG@y..., "John Gospodarek" <John.Gospodarek@i...> wrote: > Hi all. > > "Now I am going to build a new pod & tail using a 1/8th in. boom." > > Just a word of warning! Don't make the same mistake as I did. The > 1/8th is too small. Too much flex. I had to replace with 3/16th to > be able to SAL launch. It went everywhere but up. Did not try the > new pod shape. Maybe next time. > > > > > --- In BugHLG@y..., "John Gospodarek" <John.Gospodarek@i...> wrote: > > Great day for The Bug! > > > > The last two days on my lunch hour I have had 4+ minute flights > and > > several 2 + and 3+ flights. The dead air flights are up by about > 30 % > > to 40% too. The secret! I have built a new wing with two #3 ribs > on > > reach side. I guess it is about the size of the Gambler. It works > > great and is a real floater. It is not quite as quick to respond > to > > inputs as the regular wing but it makes me a much smoother Bug > flyer > > and it doesn't take much to make it go up. It side arm launches > > straight, and climbs out really high. It seems more stable than > the > > smaller wing and has to have a great wing loading advantage. Now I > am > > going to build a new pod & tail using a 1/8th in. boom. I am > toying > > with making the pod taller and narrower to hold the servos > vertical. > > Not sure if I will do that, but I think it would reduce overall > drag > > and add more stability. I can't decide if I should switch from the > V- > > Tail (my transmitter will not mix) so I could dump the onboard V- > tail > > mixer. Anyway it flies great and I'm happy!!!!!. To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: BugHLG-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com Home Page - http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BugHLG/ Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
Date: Monday, September 30, 2002 10:14 AM
Subject: Re: 1/16 tooooooo small!!!!!
I used my same old fuse and didn't have any complaints. I have two short wings and one long wing and they all work interchangeably. On the new (2nd) fuse I just built I had to drill out the 1/8 boom and replace with the 3/16th boom. Now when I put my wings on it they all do a roll to inverted on launch. Not sure what I have wrong. Everything looks correct by eye but something is obviously wrong. Guess I will have to measure. --- In BugHLG@y..., "bob_chiang2" <rhc3@c...> wrote: > Hi John, > > Thanks for the report on your experience. I had been thinking of > building one with a 1/8" boom, so you saved me the disapointment. It > sounds like I should build a new wing with extra area. The > performance of the Gambler is awsome (based on the movie): much better > than my Bug in still air. Would you suggest any changes to the boom > length with a longer wing? > > -BC > > --- In BugHLG@y..., "John Gospodarek" <John.Gospodarek@i...> wrote: > > Hi all. > > > > "Now I am going to build a new pod & tail using a 1/8th in. boom." > > > > Just a word of warning! Don't make the same mistake as I did. The > > 1/8th is too small. Too much flex. I had to replace with 3/16th to > > be able to SAL launch. It went everywhere but up. Did not try the > > new pod shape. Maybe next time. > > > > > > > > > > --- In BugHLG@y..., "John Gospodarek" <John.Gospodarek@i...> wrote: > > > Great day for The Bug! > > > > > > The last two days on my lunch hour I have had 4+ minute flights > > and > > > several 2 + and 3+ flights. The dead air flights are up by about > > 30 % > > > to 40% too. The secret! I have built a new wing with two #3 ribs > > on > > > reach side. I guess it is about the size of the Gambler. It works > > > great and is a real floater. It is not quite as quick to respond > > to > > > inputs as the regular wing but it makes me a much smoother Bug > > flyer > > > and it doesn't take much to make it go up. It side arm launches > > > straight, and climbs out really high. It seems more stable than > > the > > > smaller wing and has to have a great wing loading advantage. Now I > > am > > > going to build a new pod & tail using a 1/8th in. boom. I am > > toying > > > with making the pod taller and narrower to hold the servos > > vertical. > > > Not sure if I will do that, but I think it would reduce overall > > drag > > > and add more stability. I can't decide if I should switch from the > > V- > > > Tail (my transmitter will not mix) so I could dump the onboard V- > > tail > > > mixer. Anyway it flies great and I'm happy!!!!!.
Date: Monday, September 30, 2002 9:28 AM
Subject: Re: 1/16 tooooooo small!!!!!
Hi John, Thanks for the report on your experience. I had been thinking of building one with a 1/8" boom, so you saved me the disapointment. It sounds like I should build a new wing with extra area. The performance of the Gambler is awsome (based on the movie): much better than my Bug in still air. Would you suggest any changes to the boom length with a longer wing? -BC --- In BugHLG@y..., "John Gospodarek" <John.Gospodarek@i...> wrote: > Hi all. > > "Now I am going to build a new pod & tail using a 1/8th in. boom." > > Just a word of warning! Don't make the same mistake as I did. The > 1/8th is too small. Too much flex. I had to replace with 3/16th to > be able to SAL launch. It went everywhere but up. Did not try the > new pod shape. Maybe next time. > > > > > --- In BugHLG@y..., "John Gospodarek" <John.Gospodarek@i...> wrote: > > Great day for The Bug! > > > > The last two days on my lunch hour I have had 4+ minute flights > and > > several 2 + and 3+ flights. The dead air flights are up by about > 30 % > > to 40% too. The secret! I have built a new wing with two #3 ribs > on > > reach side. I guess it is about the size of the Gambler. It works > > great and is a real floater. It is not quite as quick to respond > to > > inputs as the regular wing but it makes me a much smoother Bug > flyer > > and it doesn't take much to make it go up. It side arm launches > > straight, and climbs out really high. It seems more stable than > the > > smaller wing and has to have a great wing loading advantage. Now I > am > > going to build a new pod & tail using a 1/8th in. boom. I am > toying > > with making the pod taller and narrower to hold the servos > vertical. > > Not sure if I will do that, but I think it would reduce overall > drag > > and add more stability. I can't decide if I should switch from the > V- > > Tail (my transmitter will not mix) so I could dump the onboard V- > tail > > mixer. Anyway it flies great and I'm happy!!!!!.
Date: Saturday, September 28, 2002 7:52 AM
Subject: 1/16 tooooooo small!!!!!
Hi all. "Now I am going to build a new pod & tail using a 1/8th in. boom." Just a word of warning! Don't make the same mistake as I did. The 1/8th is too small. Too much flex. I had to replace with 3/16th to be able to SAL launch. It went everywhere but up. Did not try the new pod shape. Maybe next time. --- In BugHLG@y..., "John Gospodarek" <John.Gospodarek@i...> wrote: > Great day for The Bug! > > The last two days on my lunch hour I have had 4+ minute flights and > several 2 + and 3+ flights. The dead air flights are up by about 30 % > to 40% too. The secret! I have built a new wing with two #3 ribs on > reach side. I guess it is about the size of the Gambler. It works > great and is a real floater. It is not quite as quick to respond to > inputs as the regular wing but it makes me a much smoother Bug flyer > and it doesn't take much to make it go up. It side arm launches > straight, and climbs out really high. It seems more stable than the > smaller wing and has to have a great wing loading advantage. Now I am > going to build a new pod & tail using a 1/8th in. boom. I am toying > with making the pod taller and narrower to hold the servos vertical. > Not sure if I will do that, but I think it would reduce overall drag > and add more stability. I can't decide if I should switch from the V- > Tail (my transmitter will not mix) so I could dump the onboard V- tail > mixer. Anyway it flies great and I'm happy!!!!!.
Date: Thursday, September 19, 2002 4:37 PM
Ya Allen You're right, that size of increase is not enough to need bigger feathers. I can notice that it is not quite as quick in the turns as the short wing but, I found the short wing was almost to fast in the turns. With the bigger wing I fly much smoother. --- In BugHLG@y..., Allan Wright <aew@m...> wrote: > Ahh, then the normal tail should have worked great. My extended wing > bug ended up at 97cm and had plenty of rudder authority. > > Al > > > > > Allen, I only added 5 in total. > > > > "I added right at five inches (the space between the 3rd and > > 4th rib on both sides is +-2.5 inches). I made a copy of both wing > > sections and taped the third rib on one down over the forth rib on > > the other." > > > > I added one rib on both side and placed it at the location of the #4 > > rib (pushing the #4 rib out). That added the space of aprox. 2.5 in > > to each panel. That is about the same as what you added I think. five > > inches is about 12.5 cm. I left the tale and boom the same. In fact I > > change the wings on the same fuse from the short to the long > > depending on the day, wind, and lift. I used a little less dihedral > > than the plans called for by mistake. I did not have the wing tips > > set high enough when I glued the halfs together. > > > > > > > > > > > > > > --- In BugHLG@y..., Allan Wright <aew@m...> wrote: > > > > I did it with out recalculation. I built the wing on the copy of > > the > > > > plans and just installed the rod in the first and last rib. Then > > I > > > > placed each rib flat on the plans and marked where the rod > > crossed > > > > the rib to know the location of the hole. That way I did not > > decrease > > > > the strength of the wing with less ribs per/span. > > > > > > this is definately the right way to go if you're adding 5" per > > panel. I > > > was more conservative and added about 6cm to each panel with the > > same > > > ribs so I just stretched it out. I'm sure your wing has more area > > then > > > mind did and probably flys better. > > > > > > Did you go ahead and increase the size of the V-tails or lengthen > > the moment > > > arm (boom) a little to help with maneuverability? My extended wing > > was so > > > slight of a change I didn't bother. > > > > > > Al > > > > > > > > ====================================================================== > > ========= > > > Allan Wright Jr. | Without love life's just a long > > fight - Southside > > > University of New Hampshire +----------------------------------- ---- > > ----------- > > > Research Computing Center | WWI Modeling mailing list: wwi@w... > > > Internet: aew@u... | WWI Modeling WWW Page: http://www.wwi- > > models.org > > > > > ====================================================================== > > ========= > > > > > > > > To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: > > BugHLG-unsubscribe@y... > > Home Page - http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BugHLG/ > > > > > > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ > > > > > > > > > ====================================================================== ========= > Allan Wright Jr. | Without love life's just a long fight - Southside > University of New Hampshire +--------------------------------------- ----------- > Research Computing Center | WWI Modeling mailing list: wwi@w... > Internet: aew@u... | WWI Modeling WWW Page: http://www.wwi- models.org > ====================================================================== =========
Date: Thursday, September 19, 2002 1:27 PM
Ahh, then the normal tail should have worked great. My extended wing bug ended up at 97cm and had plenty of rudder authority. Al > > Allen, I only added 5 in total. > > "I added right at five inches (the space between the 3rd and > 4th rib on both sides is +-2.5 inches). I made a copy of both wing > sections and taped the third rib on one down over the forth rib on > the other." > > I added one rib on both side and placed it at the location of the #4 > rib (pushing the #4 rib out). That added the space of aprox. 2.5 in > to each panel. That is about the same as what you added I think. five > inches is about 12.5 cm. I left the tale and boom the same. In fact I > change the wings on the same fuse from the short to the long > depending on the day, wind, and lift. I used a little less dihedral > than the plans called for by mistake. I did not have the wing tips > set high enough when I glued the halfs together. > > > > > > > --- In BugHLG@y..., Allan Wright <aew@m...> wrote: > > > I did it with out recalculation. I built the wing on the copy of > the > > > plans and just installed the rod in the first and last rib. Then > I > > > placed each rib flat on the plans and marked where the rod > crossed > > > the rib to know the location of the hole. That way I did not > decrease > > > the strength of the wing with less ribs per/span. > > > > this is definately the right way to go if you're adding 5" per > panel. I > > was more conservative and added about 6cm to each panel with the > same > > ribs so I just stretched it out. I'm sure your wing has more area > then > > mind did and probably flys better. > > > > Did you go ahead and increase the size of the V-tails or lengthen > the moment > > arm (boom) a little to help with maneuverability? My extended wing > was so > > slight of a change I didn't bother. > > > > Al > > > > > ====================================================================== > ========= > > Allan Wright Jr. | Without love life's just a long > fight - Southside > > University of New Hampshire +--------------------------------------- > ----------- > > Research Computing Center | WWI Modeling mailing list: wwi@w... > > Internet: aew@u... | WWI Modeling WWW Page: http://www.wwi- > models.org > > > ====================================================================== > ========= > > > > To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: > BugHLG-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com > Home Page - http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BugHLG/ > > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ > > > =============================================================================== Allan Wright Jr. | Without love life's just a long fight - Southside University of New Hampshire +-------------------------------------------------- Research Computing Center | WWI Modeling mailing list: wwi@... Internet: aew@... | WWI Modeling WWW Page: http://www.wwi-models.org ===============================================================================
Date: Thursday, September 19, 2002 12:05 PM
Allen, I only added 5 in total. "I added right at five inches (the space between the 3rd and 4th rib on both sides is +-2.5 inches). I made a copy of both wing sections and taped the third rib on one down over the forth rib on the other." I added one rib on both side and placed it at the location of the #4 rib (pushing the #4 rib out). That added the space of aprox. 2.5 in to each panel. That is about the same as what you added I think. five inches is about 12.5 cm. I left the tale and boom the same. In fact I change the wings on the same fuse from the short to the long depending on the day, wind, and lift. I used a little less dihedral than the plans called for by mistake. I did not have the wing tips set high enough when I glued the halfs together. --- In BugHLG@y..., Allan Wright <aew@m...> wrote: > > I did it with out recalculation. I built the wing on the copy of the > > plans and just installed the rod in the first and last rib. Then I > > placed each rib flat on the plans and marked where the rod crossed > > the rib to know the location of the hole. That way I did not decrease > > the strength of the wing with less ribs per/span. > > this is definately the right way to go if you're adding 5" per panel. I > was more conservative and added about 6cm to each panel with the same > ribs so I just stretched it out. I'm sure your wing has more area then > mind did and probably flys better. > > Did you go ahead and increase the size of the V-tails or lengthen the moment > arm (boom) a little to help with maneuverability? My extended wing was so > slight of a change I didn't bother. > > Al > > ====================================================================== ========= > Allan Wright Jr. | Without love life's just a long fight - Southside > University of New Hampshire +--------------------------------------- ----------- > Research Computing Center | WWI Modeling mailing list: wwi@w... > Internet: aew@u... | WWI Modeling WWW Page: http://www.wwi- models.org > ====================================================================== =========
Date: Thursday, September 19, 2002 10:34 AM
> I did it with out recalculation. I built the wing on the copy of the > plans and just installed the rod in the first and last rib. Then I > placed each rib flat on the plans and marked where the rod crossed > the rib to know the location of the hole. That way I did not decrease > the strength of the wing with less ribs per/span. this is definately the right way to go if you're adding 5" per panel. I was more conservative and added about 6cm to each panel with the same ribs so I just stretched it out. I'm sure your wing has more area then mind did and probably flys better. Did you go ahead and increase the size of the V-tails or lengthen the moment arm (boom) a little to help with maneuverability? My extended wing was so slight of a change I didn't bother. Al =============================================================================== Allan Wright Jr. | Without love life's just a long fight - Southside University of New Hampshire +-------------------------------------------------- Research Computing Center | WWI Modeling mailing list: wwi@... Internet: aew@... | WWI Modeling WWW Page: http://www.wwi-models.org ===============================================================================
Date: Thursday, September 19, 2002 10:19 AM
I did it with out recalculation. I built the wing on the copy of the plans and just installed the rod in the first and last rib. Then I placed each rib flat on the plans and marked where the rod crossed the rib to know the location of the hole. That way I did not decrease the strength of the wing with less ribs per/span. --- In BugHLG@y..., Allan Wright <aew@m...> wrote: > Actually, if you don't add any ribs, and just stretch the wing by moving > all the ribs out proportionally, you can use the holed on the plan, you > just get a different curve to the leading edge. If you add ribs or space > the ribs differently then all bets are off and you have to recalculate > the spar location for each rib. > > Al > > > > > One other item!!! Don't forget that the holes for the wing rods have > > to be moved to fit properly. Don't use the holes on the rib templates > > other than for the first and the last ribs. Fit the first and last > > ribs to the wing and use the rod to mark the position of the holes > > for the remaining ribs right on the rib face. > > > > > > > > --- In BugHLG@y..., "John Gospodarek" <John.Gospodarek@i...> wrote: > > > Colin, I added right at five inches (the space between the 3rd and > > > 4th rib on both sides is +-2.5 inches). I made a copy of both wing > > > sections and taped the third rib on one down over the forth rib on > > > the other. That way I had the same rib spacing. I also used .056 FG > > > cloth on the wing tips. I just sprayed adhesive on the tips and > > > smoothed out the glass. Then I dropped thin CA on it for a really > > > strong wing tip. I also ran the CF tube to the tip. I then sanded > > the > > > tube to feather it down smooth at the tip. I added thick CA in the > > > open tube where I had sanded it. I can't tell any difference in the > > > wing strength. The wing is not that noticeably larger than my > > > original but it sure floats more. The five inches that was added is > > > close to the cord so the % of area added is considerable. I doubt > > > that I will ever build another wing without the added rib. > > > > > > P.S. I did add a considerable amount of washout by twisting the > > wing > > > and applying heat with my iron after the wing was covered. That > > > really helps the wing not to tip stall. > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > --- In BugHLG@y..., "Colin Bosch" <colin.bosch@m...> wrote: > > > > John, > > > > > > > > Many thanx for the input. I've been planning to do the same with > > > the > > > > wing the next time I rebuild mine. Tail surfaces are broken now > > > and > > > > just too much else to do. I really miss having my Bug available, > > > but > > > > it will come around in time. I was thinking of adding about 6 > > > inches > > > > to the wingspan by adding some center ribs. How much additional > > > > wingspan did you end up with by adding the additional #3 ribs? > > > > > > > > Regards, > > > > --Colin-- > > > > > > > > --- In BugHLG@y..., "John Gospodarek" <John.Gospodarek@i...> > > wrote: > > > > > Great day for The Bug! > > > > > > > > > > The last two days on my lunch hour I have had 4+ minute > > flights > > > > and > > > > > several 2 + and 3+ flights. The dead air flights are up by > > about > > > 30 > > > > % > > > > > to 40% too. The secret! I have built a new wing with two #3 > > ribs > > > on > > > > > reach side. I guess it is about the size of the Gambler. It > > works > > > > > great and is a real floater. It is not quite as quick to > > respond > > > > to > > > > > inputs as the regular wing but it makes me a much smoother Bug > > > > flyer > > > > > and it doesn't take much to make it go up. It side arm launches > > > > > straight, and climbs out really high. It seems more stable than > > > the > > > > > smaller wing and has to have a great wing loading advantage. > > Now > > > I > > > > am > > > > > going to build a new pod & tail using a 1/8th in. boom. I am > > > toying > > > > > with making the pod taller and narrower to hold the servos > > > > vertical. > > > > > Not sure if I will do that, but I think it would reduce overall > > > > drag > > > > > and add more stability. I can't decide if I should switch from > > > the > > > > V- > > > > > Tail (my transmitter will not mix) so I could dump the onboard > > V- > > > > tail > > > > > mixer. Anyway it flies great and I'm happy!!!!!. > > > > > > > > To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: > > BugHLG-unsubscribe@y... > > Home Page - http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BugHLG/ > > > > > > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ > > > > > > > > > ====================================================================== ========= > Allan Wright Jr. | Without love life's just a long fight - Southside > University of New Hampshire +--------------------------------------- ----------- > Research Computing Center | WWI Modeling mailing list: wwi@w... > Internet: aew@u... | WWI Modeling WWW Page: http://www.wwi- models.org > ====================================================================== =========
Date: Thursday, September 19, 2002 9:52 AM
Actually, if you don't add any ribs, and just stretch the wing by moving all the ribs out proportionally, you can use the holed on the plan, you just get a different curve to the leading edge. If you add ribs or space the ribs differently then all bets are off and you have to recalculate the spar location for each rib. Al > > One other item!!! Don't forget that the holes for the wing rods have > to be moved to fit properly. Don't use the holes on the rib templates > other than for the first and the last ribs. Fit the first and last > ribs to the wing and use the rod to mark the position of the holes > for the remaining ribs right on the rib face. > > > > --- In BugHLG@y..., "John Gospodarek" <John.Gospodarek@i...> wrote: > > Colin, I added right at five inches (the space between the 3rd and > > 4th rib on both sides is +-2.5 inches). I made a copy of both wing > > sections and taped the third rib on one down over the forth rib on > > the other. That way I had the same rib spacing. I also used .056 FG > > cloth on the wing tips. I just sprayed adhesive on the tips and > > smoothed out the glass. Then I dropped thin CA on it for a really > > strong wing tip. I also ran the CF tube to the tip. I then sanded > the > > tube to feather it down smooth at the tip. I added thick CA in the > > open tube where I had sanded it. I can't tell any difference in the > > wing strength. The wing is not that noticeably larger than my > > original but it sure floats more. The five inches that was added is > > close to the cord so the % of area added is considerable. I doubt > > that I will ever build another wing without the added rib. > > > > P.S. I did add a considerable amount of washout by twisting the > wing > > and applying heat with my iron after the wing was covered. That > > really helps the wing not to tip stall. > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > --- In BugHLG@y..., "Colin Bosch" <colin.bosch@m...> wrote: > > > John, > > > > > > Many thanx for the input. I've been planning to do the same with > > the > > > wing the next time I rebuild mine. Tail surfaces are broken now > > and > > > just too much else to do. I really miss having my Bug available, > > but > > > it will come around in time. I was thinking of adding about 6 > > inches > > > to the wingspan by adding some center ribs. How much additional > > > wingspan did you end up with by adding the additional #3 ribs? > > > > > > Regards, > > > --Colin-- > > > > > > --- In BugHLG@y..., "John Gospodarek" <John.Gospodarek@i...> > wrote: > > > > Great day for The Bug! > > > > > > > > The last two days on my lunch hour I have had 4+ minute > flights > > > and > > > > several 2 + and 3+ flights. The dead air flights are up by > about > > 30 > > > % > > > > to 40% too. The secret! I have built a new wing with two #3 > ribs > > on > > > > reach side. I guess it is about the size of the Gambler. It > works > > > > great and is a real floater. It is not quite as quick to > respond > > > to > > > > inputs as the regular wing but it makes me a much smoother Bug > > > flyer > > > > and it doesn't take much to make it go up. It side arm launches > > > > straight, and climbs out really high. It seems more stable than > > the > > > > smaller wing and has to have a great wing loading advantage. > Now > > I > > > am > > > > going to build a new pod & tail using a 1/8th in. boom. I am > > toying > > > > with making the pod taller and narrower to hold the servos > > > vertical. > > > > Not sure if I will do that, but I think it would reduce overall > > > drag > > > > and add more stability. I can't decide if I should switch from > > the > > > V- > > > > Tail (my transmitter will not mix) so I could dump the onboard > V- > > > tail > > > > mixer. Anyway it flies great and I'm happy!!!!!. > > > > To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: > BugHLG-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com > Home Page - http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BugHLG/ > > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ > > > =============================================================================== Allan Wright Jr. | Without love life's just a long fight - Southside University of New Hampshire +-------------------------------------------------- Research Computing Center | WWI Modeling mailing list: wwi@... Internet: aew@... | WWI Modeling WWW Page: http://www.wwi-models.org ===============================================================================
Date: Thursday, September 19, 2002 9:35 AM
One other item!!! Don't forget that the holes for the wing rods have to be moved to fit properly. Don't use the holes on the rib templates other than for the first and the last ribs. Fit the first and last ribs to the wing and use the rod to mark the position of the holes for the remaining ribs right on the rib face. --- In BugHLG@y..., "John Gospodarek" <John.Gospodarek@i...> wrote: > Colin, I added right at five inches (the space between the 3rd and > 4th rib on both sides is +-2.5 inches). I made a copy of both wing > sections and taped the third rib on one down over the forth rib on > the other. That way I had the same rib spacing. I also used .056 FG > cloth on the wing tips. I just sprayed adhesive on the tips and > smoothed out the glass. Then I dropped thin CA on it for a really > strong wing tip. I also ran the CF tube to the tip. I then sanded the > tube to feather it down smooth at the tip. I added thick CA in the > open tube where I had sanded it. I can't tell any difference in the > wing strength. The wing is not that noticeably larger than my > original but it sure floats more. The five inches that was added is > close to the cord so the % of area added is considerable. I doubt > that I will ever build another wing without the added rib. > > P.S. I did add a considerable amount of washout by twisting the wing > and applying heat with my iron after the wing was covered. That > really helps the wing not to tip stall. > > > > > > > > --- In BugHLG@y..., "Colin Bosch" <colin.bosch@m...> wrote: > > John, > > > > Many thanx for the input. I've been planning to do the same with > the > > wing the next time I rebuild mine. Tail surfaces are broken now > and > > just too much else to do. I really miss having my Bug available, > but > > it will come around in time. I was thinking of adding about 6 > inches > > to the wingspan by adding some center ribs. How much additional > > wingspan did you end up with by adding the additional #3 ribs? > > > > Regards, > > --Colin-- > > > > --- In BugHLG@y..., "John Gospodarek" <John.Gospodarek@i...> wrote: > > > Great day for The Bug! > > > > > > The last two days on my lunch hour I have had 4+ minute flights > > and > > > several 2 + and 3+ flights. The dead air flights are up by about > 30 > > % > > > to 40% too. The secret! I have built a new wing with two #3 ribs > on > > > reach side. I guess it is about the size of the Gambler. It works > > > great and is a real floater. It is not quite as quick to respond > > to > > > inputs as the regular wing but it makes me a much smoother Bug > > flyer > > > and it doesn't take much to make it go up. It side arm launches > > > straight, and climbs out really high. It seems more stable than > the > > > smaller wing and has to have a great wing loading advantage. Now > I > > am > > > going to build a new pod & tail using a 1/8th in. boom. I am > toying > > > with making the pod taller and narrower to hold the servos > > vertical. > > > Not sure if I will do that, but I think it would reduce overall > > drag > > > and add more stability. I can't decide if I should switch from > the > > V- > > > Tail (my transmitter will not mix) so I could dump the onboard V- > > tail > > > mixer. Anyway it flies great and I'm happy!!!!!.
Date: Thursday, September 19, 2002 8:37 AM
Colin, I added right at five inches (the space between the 3rd and 4th rib on both sides is +-2.5 inches). I made a copy of both wing sections and taped the third rib on one down over the forth rib on the other. That way I had the same rib spacing. I also used .056 FG cloth on the wing tips. I just sprayed adhesive on the tips and smoothed out the glass. Then I dropped thin CA on it for a really strong wing tip. I also ran the CF tube to the tip. I then sanded the tube to feather it down smooth at the tip. I added thick CA in the open tube where I had sanded it. I can't tell any difference in the wing strength. The wing is not that noticeably larger than my original but it sure floats more. The five inches that was added is close to the cord so the % of area added is considerable. I doubt that I will ever build another wing without the added rib. P.S. I did add a considerable amount of washout by twisting the wing and applying heat with my iron after the wing was covered. That really helps the wing not to tip stall. --- In BugHLG@y..., "Colin Bosch" <colin.bosch@m...> wrote: > John, > > Many thanx for the input. I've been planning to do the same with the > wing the next time I rebuild mine. Tail surfaces are broken now and > just too much else to do. I really miss having my Bug available, but > it will come around in time. I was thinking of adding about 6 inches > to the wingspan by adding some center ribs. How much additional > wingspan did you end up with by adding the additional #3 ribs? > > Regards, > --Colin-- > > --- In BugHLG@y..., "John Gospodarek" <John.Gospodarek@i...> wrote: > > Great day for The Bug! > > > > The last two days on my lunch hour I have had 4+ minute flights > and > > several 2 + and 3+ flights. The dead air flights are up by about 30 > % > > to 40% too. The secret! I have built a new wing with two #3 ribs on > > reach side. I guess it is about the size of the Gambler. It works > > great and is a real floater. It is not quite as quick to respond > to > > inputs as the regular wing but it makes me a much smoother Bug > flyer > > and it doesn't take much to make it go up. It side arm launches > > straight, and climbs out really high. It seems more stable than the > > smaller wing and has to have a great wing loading advantage. Now I > am > > going to build a new pod & tail using a 1/8th in. boom. I am toying > > with making the pod taller and narrower to hold the servos > vertical. > > Not sure if I will do that, but I think it would reduce overall > drag > > and add more stability. I can't decide if I should switch from the > V- > > Tail (my transmitter will not mix) so I could dump the onboard V- > tail > > mixer. Anyway it flies great and I'm happy!!!!!.
Date: Wednesday, September 18, 2002 9:49 PM
John, Many thanx for the input. I've been planning to do the same with the wing the next time I rebuild mine. Tail surfaces are broken now and just too much else to do. I really miss having my Bug available, but it will come around in time. I was thinking of adding about 6 inches to the wingspan by adding some center ribs. How much additional wingspan did you end up with by adding the additional #3 ribs? Regards, --Colin-- --- In BugHLG@y..., "John Gospodarek" <John.Gospodarek@i...> wrote: > Great day for The Bug! > > The last two days on my lunch hour I have had 4+ minute flights and > several 2 + and 3+ flights. The dead air flights are up by about 30 % > to 40% too. The secret! I have built a new wing with two #3 ribs on > reach side. I guess it is about the size of the Gambler. It works > great and is a real floater. It is not quite as quick to respond to > inputs as the regular wing but it makes me a much smoother Bug flyer > and it doesn't take much to make it go up. It side arm launches > straight, and climbs out really high. It seems more stable than the > smaller wing and has to have a great wing loading advantage. Now I am > going to build a new pod & tail using a 1/8th in. boom. I am toying > with making the pod taller and narrower to hold the servos vertical. > Not sure if I will do that, but I think it would reduce overall drag > and add more stability. I can't decide if I should switch from the V- > Tail (my transmitter will not mix) so I could dump the onboard V- tail > mixer. Anyway it flies great and I'm happy!!!!!.
Date: Tuesday, September 17, 2002 4:11 PM
Subject: Wide Bug
Great day for The Bug! The last two days on my lunch hour I have had 4+ minute flights and several 2 + and 3+ flights. The dead air flights are up by about 30 % to 40% too. The secret! I have built a new wing with two #3 ribs on reach side. I guess it is about the size of the Gambler. It works great and is a real floater. It is not quite as quick to respond to inputs as the regular wing but it makes me a much smoother Bug flyer and it doesn't take much to make it go up. It side arm launches straight, and climbs out really high. It seems more stable than the smaller wing and has to have a great wing loading advantage. Now I am going to build a new pod & tail using a 1/8th in. boom. I am toying with making the pod taller and narrower to hold the servos vertical. Not sure if I will do that, but I think it would reduce overall drag and add more stability. I can't decide if I should switch from the V- Tail (my transmitter will not mix) so I could dump the onboard V-tail mixer. Anyway it flies great and I'm happy!!!!!.