Bug HLG

Archive of the Yahoo! Groups mailing list for the Bug hand-launch glider 2002-2018

Date: Thursday, January 2, 2003 9:36 AM
Subject: Bug/Gambler/Taboo comparisons
--- In BugHLG@yahoogroups.com, "bob_chiang2 <rhc3@c...>" <rhc3@c...> wrote: > > And interesting to hear about a direct comparison of launch heights. > Does anyone know how the Gambler compares for launch and glide > performance compared to the Bug or Taboo? I'll try to give an unbiased oppinion here, although I am the designer of the Gambler, so take that in mind. The Gambler will tip launch much better than a bug, up to twice as high in the right conditions. It's 1.25 meter span gives it a much lower wing loading than the bug and it's S3021 airfoil is thinner than the bug's which let's you cover much more ground looking for thermals. It's superior, but that's to be expected since I didn't have to keep my span under .75 meters to be Mosquito class legal. The Bug can be built from $6.00 plans and is a great starting HLG. The Gambler is the obvious 'next step'. The Taboo, or any composite DLG in that class will outperform the Gambler by 2x or more both in lanuch and penetration. But starting at $450 vs $65 for the Gambler, you're still getting a good 'bang for the buck' with the Gambler. If you want to learn: The Bug If you have a Bug and want to go up a step: The Gambler If you want competition class performance: Taboo, XP3, Sidewinder, etc. I Own a Taboo, but haven't flown it too much in the winter conditions here in New England. I'll be better able to give direct comparisons come springtime. Allan Wright - Wright Brothers R/C P.S. If you're interested in a Gambler, you'll need to e-mail me from my website. I've taken the order button offline since I currently have only a few kits left. I'm waiting on more wood from the laser cutter to make another batch of kits. =============================================================================== Allan Wright Jr. | Without love life's just a long fight - Southside University of New Hampshire +-------------------------------------------------- Research Computing Center | WWI Modeling mailing list: wwi@... Internet: aew@... | WWI Modeling WWW Page: http://www.wwi-models.org ===============================================================================