Bug HLG

Archive of the Yahoo! Groups mailing list for the Bug hand-launch glider 2002-2018

Date: Tuesday, June 3, 2003 9:25 AM
Subject: Re: More questions - wobbly wing
Henry, go out and buy some silicone ($2 to $3). I used it on my latest Bug and it fixed the problem. I would not expect the hot glue to work well because it sets too fast and is too heavy. The extra weight of the ply should not make that much difference, Fly what you got. If you need to, file the F3 notch a little to get the sides closer to the wing. You will be learning to SAL on your first fuse so it does not need to be perfect. The wing angle is not a problem until wou build the second wing and have to match it to the current fuse. I have considered putting the silicone on the wing and covering the fuse so I can make better use of extra wings. Just a idea that has not been tested. Anyway, good luck, and get it in the air. John --- In BugHLG@yahoogroups.com, "dimple_kwok" <henry.kwok@x> wrote: > Sorry for asking all these stupid questions. Every one is saying how > the bug is easy to build but I just can't help encountering problems. > Well, I guess this is my first scratch built... > > Anyhow I am still having problem with "wobbly" wing. I tried to use > hot glue (don't have silicon glue) method and it does help a bit. > Analyse the plan from the mechanical point of view, I guess what is > preventing the wobble about the axis of the wing is F3. Having said > that the depression on the top of F3 is rather shallow, and does > allow about of sliding movement. And as far as I have tried, it is > darn difficult to get the angle of the "notch" right to match that of > the wing... I wonder just how much the fuselage sides contribute to > the stable fixation of the wing, since they are so filmsy. Looking at > my failure there is a 1-2mm gap between the fuselage side top edge > and the wing. I wonder if this contributes to the wobbliness. > > I think ultimately the source of the problem is the dihedral angle of > the wing being slightly off from intended and hence the F3 / fuselage > sides don't quite fit... Too late I can't break the wing panel joint > or can I?? > > John - I presume you have had this problem as well? > > I plan to rebuild the fuselage anyway, since I use the wrong type of > ply (heavy one) for the formers. I am hoping that this time I will > get it right.. Any suggestions to make F3 fit, to make the fuse side > match the wing, and most importantly avoid the wobbly wing syndrome? > > Cheers, and thanks to every one who helped. > > Henry > > --- In BugHLG@yahoogroups.com, "John Gospodarek" > <John.Gospodarek@i...> wrote: > > It can be fitted with GE silicone glue. Put some clear sandwich > wrap > > over your wing and a bead of silicone on the fuse. Mount the wing > > into the silicone and let it dry for a perfect fit. After it is dry > > peal the sandwich wrap off. > >
Date: Tuesday, June 3, 2003 8:37 AM
Henry - You've discovered the joy and pain of scratch building! The joy is watching something that you've built yourself come together. The pain is trying to work all of the kinks out. The crucial step is to use the Dihedral gauge on the print. This is the Keystone for getting everything to quit. That said, a little extra dihedral will just make for a more "agile" airplane. Don't fret if you are building another pod. When cutting your new formers, place them against the bottom of the wing to check for fit, prior to gluing into place. I'd recommend a a light layer of glass (.75oz) to ensure its survival. this will also help with your concern of contributing support to the wing. Dimensions: My wing panels measure 17.375 inches each (extended wing) Total Span assembled is 34.5 inches Length from TE of wing to LE of full-flying elevator is 10.5 inches Elevator size is roughly 10 x 1.75 inches at widest point Rudder size is 6.5 x 2.625 inches at the widest point. The Vert. fin/rudder design I use is from the SuperGee at www.monkeytumble.com - Look in the DLG section under SuperGee PDF's. I just printed the PDF and scaled the Rudder to my liking. The shape of the elevator is basically straight with rounded LE tips to keep it simple. The sub-fin area is relatively small and doesn't catch on landing. Don't forget to harden the edges of the tail feathers with thin CA for strength. Hang in there. There's nothing more satisfying than seeing something you've built from scratch flying around the sky! Chris in Seattle
Date: Tuesday, June 3, 2003 7:42 AM
# sorry message got broke into 2 halves Add: ... and with a half wing span of 14.5 inch one degree off at the root in terms of placement translates to 0.25 inch difference at the wing tip! Has any one ever encounter this problem or am I missing something here? How do you correctly position the wing and secure it in place? Frustrated Henry
Date: Tuesday, June 3, 2003 6:19 AM
Sorry for asking all these stupid questions. Every one is saying how the bug is easy to build but I just can't help encountering problems. Well, I guess this is my first scratch built... Anyhow I am still having problem with "wobbly" wing. I tried to use hot glue (don't have silicon glue) method and it does help a bit. Analyse the plan from the mechanical point of view, I guess what is preventing the wobble about the axis of the wing is F3. Having said that the depression on the top of F3 is rather shallow, and does allow about of sliding movement. And as far as I have tried, it is darn difficult to get the angle of the "notch" right to match that of the wing... I wonder just how much the fuselage sides contribute to the stable fixation of the wing, since they are so filmsy. Looking at my failure there is a 1-2mm gap between the fuselage side top edge and the wing. I wonder if this contributes to the wobbliness. I think ultimately the source of the problem is the dihedral angle of the wing being slightly off from intended and hence the F3 / fuselage sides don't quite fit... Too late I can't break the wing panel joint or can I?? John - I presume you have had this problem as well? I plan to rebuild the fuselage anyway, since I use the wrong type of ply (heavy one) for the formers. I am hoping that this time I will get it right.. Any suggestions to make F3 fit, to make the fuse side match the wing, and most importantly avoid the wobbly wing syndrome? Cheers, and thanks to every one who helped. Henry --- In BugHLG@yahoogroups.com, "John Gospodarek" <John.Gospodarek@i...> wrote: > It can be fitted with GE silicone glue. Put some clear sandwich wrap > over your wing and a bead of silicone on the fuse. Mount the wing > into the silicone and let it dry for a perfect fit. After it is dry > peal the sandwich wrap off. >
Date: Monday, June 2, 2003 8:46 AM
It can be fitted with GE silicone glue. Put some clear sandwich wrap over your wing and a bead of silicone on the fuse. Mount the wing into the silicone and let it dry for a perfect fit. After it is dry peal the sandwich wrap off. --- In BugHLG@yahoogroups.com, "dimple_kwok" <henry.kwok@x> wrote: > Thanks for all your reply > > So I infer that the bug can fly without dual rate, expo; and if I use > a cruciform tail a non computer radio will suffice? > > What is the length of the carbon rod between the TE of the wing and > the LE of the tailfeather for a cruciform tail? > > I have finished building and covering the wing. I have also built a > fuselage. On fitting the wing to the fuselage I noticed that the wing > wobble a small amount (about the long axis of the plane, or > descriptively, the wing tips go up and down). On inspection I realise > that the wing does not quite match the contour of F3, hence the > wobble. > > Any easy fix? Does it matter? Can I add structures to support and > secure the wing? I really hate the idea of having to make another > fuse again... > > Cheers
Date: Monday, June 2, 2003 7:56 AM
Subject: More questions - wobbly wing
Thanks for all your reply So I infer that the bug can fly without dual rate, expo; and if I use a cruciform tail a non computer radio will suffice? What is the length of the carbon rod between the TE of the wing and the LE of the tailfeather for a cruciform tail? I have finished building and covering the wing. I have also built a fuselage. On fitting the wing to the fuselage I noticed that the wing wobble a small amount (about the long axis of the plane, or descriptively, the wing tips go up and down). On inspection I realise that the wing does not quite match the contour of F3, hence the wobble. Any easy fix? Does it matter? Can I add structures to support and secure the wing? I really hate the idea of having to make another fuse again... Cheers