Bug HLG

Archive of the Yahoo! Groups mailing list for the Bug hand-launch glider 2002-2018

Date: Friday, July 4, 2003 1:39 PM
Subject: Re: So what is the verdict on Bug mods?
I have built a lot of these, so I know your interest in lightening! > 1. Extend the wing by 5 inch total (2.5 inch per panel) by > inserting an extra rib #3. Most Definitely!! That'll help, you'll notice > 2. Use contest grade balsa only Just light balsa is good for the tail feathers, you'll beat them to death otherwise. > 3. Extend nose by half an inch or something to allow easier > balancing and component placement I've never tried this actually, been using a light 1/8" boom (more on this later) > 4. No more FG except around fuse/boom joint as per plan. Water > based poly will be used instead I usually cover the fuselage with ultracote light, despite the few grams it adds. I haven't ever used the FG method b/c it seemed heavy. The ultracote helps and is plenty light, though. > 5. Lightening holes in wingtip however hard it is to make (I forego > these last time coz it was too hard, I still don't know how large > round holes can be drilled out of the balsa with a smooth edge) Use a nickel and a quarter for templates, then take a very sharp, new xacto blade and take your time cutting. It's easy with a sharp knife. > 6. Extend wing spar to wing tip and add launch peg for SAL Yup! Just make sure the peg is tied into the spar well ... I have pulled pegs out on launch before. I settled on using some wire thread that loops through a hole in the peg twice and then sticks into the spar 4-5" and is epoxied in. > 7. Cruciform tail?? This helps with the hard discus launches. I blew off numerous v- tails before switching to the cruciform tail. See my pictures under Ex-Bug. I can send more or higher resolution pictures if anyone is ever interested. > 8. Uses smallest tail boom as possible 1/18"? 3/16" - I don't know I use a 1/8" carbon boom, but it is a bit flimsy. Joe Wurts saw me fly and remarked a stiffer tailboom would really help the performance. Rick Walba, who helps run tailbooms.com, suggested an avia micro carbon boom. I have yet to try one, but I will report back if I ever do. > I plan to use my hitec feather rx, 4x150mah NiMH, and 2 hs55 servos > for my radio gear. I agree with the others about radio choices. I use a 4x50 mah nicad pack that is super light but still gives a 45 minute charge. I have two cs-10s powering the controls -- I believe these are exactly the same as the gws pico servos. In the past, I have used a JR 610 micro receiver, but even being small, it was overkill. Never used the GWS receiver, but I might try sometime. Hope this helps! Dan
Date: Friday, July 4, 2003 1:36 PM
Subject: Re: [BugHLG] So what is the verdict on Bug mods?
Paul Johnson on 7-4-03 11:07 AM wrote: > Use the GWS 5g receiver which is lighter and much better range than the > feather. When you hook a good thermal, the feathers poor range will sadden you > as your bug rises to the heavens, never to be seen again... I'm a beginner to R/C and confused here (and my Bug plans haven't even arrived yet.) Balsa Products lists the range of the GWS R-4P at 4.8g as 1000 ft. with a 39" antenna and the Hitec Feather at 7.8g as a 1000 ft too. Other than the extra 3 grams what am I missing here? Are the listed ranges not to accurate? -- Thanks Jim Holliman This E-mail address may not be shared with any person or business without the permission of the owner.
Date: Friday, July 4, 2003 12:07 PM
Subject: Re: [BugHLG] So what is the verdict on Bug mods?
I feel these items are MUSTS (in my opinion). Build it with the cruciform tail and a peg in the wing. The tailboom ISN'T too heavy, but a lighter one might be nice. Use the GWS 5g receiver which is lighter and much better range than the feather. When you hook a good thermal, the feathers poor range will sadden you as your bug rises to the heavens, never to be seen again... Instead of 150's, use 50 mAh batteries. Don't use contest balsa for the cruciform tail - just light balsa. HS 55's are a bit heavy, unless you plan on flying mostly slope. Use ultracote light transparent colors. build with medium CA using great care. [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
Date: Friday, July 4, 2003 10:24 AM
Subject: Re: So what is the verdict on Bug mods?
--- In BugHLG@yahoogroups.com, "dimple_kwok" <henry.kwok@x> wrote: > I have built and flown a bug that is built to plan but due to various > reinforcements it is quite a bit heavier > 4Oz. e.g. 2 layers of FG > on fuse,FG on tail feather... etc. Deadair time is only 10s and I may > have some fun like 45s to 1 min at small embankment. Now I want to > build bug #2 and I want to incorporate some improvements. I have > collected the following ideas from all the previous posts. Any thing > else to add? > > 1. Extend the wing by 5 inch total (2.5 inch per panel) by inserting > an extra rib #3. > 2. Use contest grade balsa only > 3. Extend nose by half an inch or something to allow easier balancing > and component placement > 4. No more FG except around fuse/boom joint as per plan. Water based > poly will be used instead > 5. Lightening holes in wingtip however hard it is to make (I forego > these last time coz it was too hard, I still don't know how large > round holes can be drilled out of the balsa with a smooth edge) > 6. Extend wing spar to wing tip and add launch peg for SAL > 7. Cruciform tail?? > 8. Uses smallest tail boom as possible 1/18"? 3/16" - I don't know > > Is there anything else to add? > > I plan to use my hitec feather rx, 4x150mah NiMH, and 2 hs55 servos > for my radio gears > > Any comments appreciated > > Henry Buy a GWS 5g reciever and 2 picoBB servos. Your weight will go down about 3/4 ounce! (555rx = 20 oz, 2 HS55 servos= 18g VS GWS rx 5g and picoBB servos = 12g) Your other mod's will save you minor weight compared to this alone. The other biggie (about 10g savings) is the 1/8" tailboom (3/16" is WAY TOO heavy in my opinion.
Date: Friday, July 4, 2003 8:43 AM
Subject: So what is the verdict on Bug mods?
I have built and flown a bug that is built to plan but due to various reinforcements it is quite a bit heavier > 4Oz. e.g. 2 layers of FG on fuse,FG on tail feather... etc. Deadair time is only 10s and I may have some fun like 45s to 1 min at small embankment. Now I want to build bug #2 and I want to incorporate some improvements. I have collected the following ideas from all the previous posts. Any thing else to add? 1. Extend the wing by 5 inch total (2.5 inch per panel) by inserting an extra rib #3. 2. Use contest grade balsa only 3. Extend nose by half an inch or something to allow easier balancing and component placement 4. No more FG except around fuse/boom joint as per plan. Water based poly will be used instead 5. Lightening holes in wingtip however hard it is to make (I forego these last time coz it was too hard, I still don't know how large round holes can be drilled out of the balsa with a smooth edge) 6. Extend wing spar to wing tip and add launch peg for SAL 7. Cruciform tail?? 8. Uses smallest tail boom as possible 1/18"? 3/16" - I don't know Is there anything else to add? I plan to use my hitec feather rx, 4x150mah NiMH, and 2 hs55 servos for my radio gears Any comments appreciated Henry