Bug HLG

Archive of the Yahoo! Groups mailing list for the Bug hand-launch glider 2002-2018

Date: Friday, August 1, 2003 1:07 PM
Subject: Re: Frans and John's Bugs
Thanks Robert, Corner reinforcement using 1/8" square balsa strips adds tremendous strength to the fuse with very little additional weight. If you build using balsa, a balsa stripper is a great investment. My servos (HS50's) are stacked together on their side with the top one's servo arm pointing down on the left side and the bottom one pointing up on the right side. I cover the servos with masking tape and then use a few drops of CyA to bond them together (I was too cheap to buy double surface tape). I used the same method to mount the servos to the fuse - masking tape on the fuse surface and servo. I don't make my stab removable but I do CyA a piece of fiberglass from the stab mount on one side around the boom to the stab mount on the other side. How do you insert the Micafilm into the slots? You're right. It isn't easy. If the slot is wide enough (use exacto knife to cut slot) you can start with a long strip of Micafilm(a couple of inches longer than the hinge length). Keep it taught by holding it on the ends and start the strip at an angle in one end of the slot. Keep moving the strip back and forth while you reduce the angle and insert it further and further into the slot. You might have to repeat this a few times before you get it right. There's probably other ways to do it but this works for me. John --- In BugHLG@yahoogroups.com, "Robert" <rhc3@c...> wrote: > Frans and John, > > Great looking Bugs. I like the idea of the corner reinforcement on > the fuse. Are your servos stacked together? Do you just use double > sided foam tape between them? > > I also made the horizontal stab removable. Just a couple of small > machine screws passing through holes in the stab and into CA- hardened > threads in the stab pylon. > > Regarding the hinges: how do you insert the mica film into the slots?
Date: Friday, August 1, 2003 10:08 AM
Subject: Frans and John's Bugs
Frans and John, Great looking Bugs. I like the idea of the corner reinforcement on the fuse. Are your servos stacked together? Do you just use double sided foam tape between them? I also made the horizontal stab removable. Just a couple of small machine screws passing through holes in the stab and into CA-hardened threads in the stab pylon. Regarding the hinges: how do you insert the mica film into the slots?