Archive of the Yahoo! Groups mailing list for the Bug hand-launch glider 2002-2018

From: "bob_chiang2 <rhc3@...>" <rhc3@...>
Date: Friday, January 17, 2003 9:42 AM
Subject: (No subject)
Mike and Paul, You both asked about strengthening the balsa for a cruciform tail (great looking model by the way). I was also skeptical about using 1/16", but figured I might as well start light and replace and beef things up if needed. All I did was to wipe water based acrylic polyurethane on the tail surfaces and run the edges through a puddle of CA glue. I did add a wire skid to the bottom of the vertical fin (though it came off at some point, and I haven't replaced it). The only time I have broken the tail was on a missed catch, and the model fell vertically down onto the tail. I am better off landing it on the ground :) The only weak spot I retrofitted with reinforcing is the leading edge of the horizontal stabilizer right next to the boom. I think when I land, weeds would slide along the boom and catch on the stab. So I inset a piece of hardwood. Laminating a piece of 1/16" square bass onto the leading edge (just like a free flight HLG wing) would be an elegant solution. If you want to reinforce the balsa with glass cloth, some folks use water based poly instead of epoxy.