Bug HLG

Archive of the Yahoo! Groups mailing list for the Bug hand-launch glider 2002-2018

Date: Friday, March 26, 2004 2:07 PM
Subject: Re: Posted Ultralight BUG Photos
--- In BugHLG@yahoogroups.com, "chiphead_dave" <chiphead_dave@y...> wrote: > You launch w/ your thumb underneath. > > Is this the standard method for most people? > Thats how I do it. John > Dave > > > --- In BugHLG@yahoogroups.com, "jason_wasylyk" <thetoothdoc@s...> > wrote: > > --- In BugHLG@yahoogroups.com, "John" <gldrgidr@m...> wrote: > > > Jason, > > > Nice Bug. > > > > Thanks > > > > > Is it difficult to see a bug with the clear covering at altitude? > > > > > Not at all. There's enough wood to help at lower altitudes and > > farther away you get a lot of flashing in the sun. Good sunglasses > > really help you to pick out the outline at distance. It > essentially > > looks like a flashing black dot far away. > > > > OOOPS...thumpad is actually an "index finger second knuckle pad"... > > I launch like everybody (I assume) else with my thumb underneath. > > Good observation, John.
Date: Friday, March 26, 2004 1:05 PM
You launch w/ your thumb underneath. Is this the standard method for most people? Dave --- In BugHLG@yahoogroups.com, "jason_wasylyk" <thetoothdoc@s...> wrote: > --- In BugHLG@yahoogroups.com, "John" <gldrgidr@m...> wrote: > > Jason, > > Nice Bug. > > Thanks > > > Is it difficult to see a bug with the clear covering at altitude? > > > Not at all. There's enough wood to help at lower altitudes and > farther away you get a lot of flashing in the sun. Good sunglasses > really help you to pick out the outline at distance. It essentially > looks like a flashing black dot far away. > > OOOPS...thumpad is actually an "index finger second knuckle pad"... > I launch like everybody (I assume) else with my thumb underneath. > Good observation, John.
Date: Monday, March 22, 2004 4:22 PM
--- In BugHLG@yahoogroups.com, "John" <gldrgidr@m...> wrote: > Jason, > Nice Bug. Thanks > Is it difficult to see a bug with the clear covering at altitude? > Not at all. There's enough wood to help at lower altitudes and farther away you get a lot of flashing in the sun. Good sunglasses really help you to pick out the outline at distance. It essentially looks like a flashing black dot far away. OOOPS...thumpad is actually an "index finger second knuckle pad"... I launch like everybody (I assume) else with my thumb underneath. Good observation, John.
Date: Monday, March 22, 2004 4:15 PM
Jason, Nice Bug. Is it difficult to see a bug with the clear covering at altitude? I was concerned that mine would blend into the background so I used the clear covering on the bottom of the wing and red ultracoat light transparent for the top of the wing. Here's a question for everyone who SAL's. Do you SAL launch with your thumb on top, or your thumb on the bottom? I always launch with my thumb underneath on the spar and my index finger on top on the spar with the middle finger just behind the index. Noticed that Jason has a thumbpad on top of the wingtip. John --- In BugHLG@yahoogroups.com, "jason_wasylyk" <thetoothdoc@s...> wrote: > Sorry for the delay. Been real busy lately. Hope you enjoy the > pic's and that they are helpful. > > BTW, I had an earlier vtail BUG that I SAL'd Hard. It launched OK > with a little right rudder help with the left thumb on the left > stick. > > I SAL'd my new "even ultralighter" BUG HARD and the vtail blew off. > I rebuilt the tail in about 15 min. From now on, I'll stick to > Javelin style with the V-tail.
Date: Monday, March 22, 2004 1:40 PM
Subject: Posted Ultralight BUG Photos
Sorry for the delay. Been real busy lately. Hope you enjoy the pic's and that they are helpful. BTW, I had an earlier vtail BUG that I SAL'd Hard. It launched OK with a little right rudder help with the left thumb on the left stick. I SAL'd my new "even ultralighter" BUG HARD and the vtail blew off. I rebuilt the tail in about 15 min. From now on, I'll stick to Javelin style with the V-tail.