Bug HLG

Archive of the Yahoo! Groups mailing list for the Bug hand-launch glider 2002-2018

Date: Friday, January 19, 2007 12:09 PM
Subject: Re: Cross Tail Dimensions
I agree. I've put mine in pretty hard and the part that always breaks is the hold down screw mount in the trailing edge of the fuze. I SAL and it takes the forces. KISS is what counts in my book. I'd spend my time on the Fuze. Next version is going to have a much longer (in front of the wing) and different shape'd fuze. The one in the plans works, just kinda ugly and requires nose weight to balance. Longer nose... less weight needed 'cause I can move stuff forward.
Date: Friday, January 19, 2007 4:01 AM
I think you may find that a 1/8" c/f tube is too stiff to follow the l/e contour as well. Even a wooden dowel needs to be carefully bent. John --- In BugHLG@yahoogroups.com, "John" <gldrgidr@...> wrote: > > A 1/8" dowel is lighter than a similar size cf tube and the dowel is > plenty strong enough and bumb resistant and cheaper too. The 1/8" > diameter provides a good leading edge radius for the airfoil. > John > >
Date: Thursday, January 18, 2007 1:22 PM
A 1/8" dowel is lighter than a similar size cf tube and the dowel is plenty strong enough and bumb resistant and cheaper too. The 1/8" diameter provides a good leading edge radius for the airfoil. John --- In BugHLG@yahoogroups.com, "jimmy_otool" <jimmy_otool@...> wrote: > > Thanks John - I failed to look in the Misc Photo file - my goof. > Another question I didn't find an answer to while searching the > messages - has anyone used a carbon fiber leading edge on the bug to > save some weight over the dowel - or is this just a dumb idea (I'm > new to DLGs - so not sure if there is some technical feasibility > issue here as well). Thanks, > J >
Date: Wednesday, January 17, 2007 11:01 PM
--- In BugHLG@yahoogroups.com, "jimmy_otool" <jimmy_otool@...> wrote: > > Thanks John - I failed to look in the Misc Photo file - my goof. > Another question I didn't find an answer to while searching the > messages - has anyone used a carbon fiber leading edge on the bug to > save some weight over the dowel - or is this just a dumb idea (I'm > new to DLGs - so not sure if there is some technical feasibility > issue here as well). Thanks, > J > It's not a dumb idea and could be done easily. However, 1/8 dowel is cheap, readily available, very light and very easy to work with. In my opinion there wouldn't really be any advantage to using carbon for leading edge.
Date: Monday, January 15, 2007 1:27 PM
Thanks John - I failed to look in the Misc Photo file - my goof. Another question I didn't find an answer to while searching the messages - has anyone used a carbon fiber leading edge on the bug to save some weight over the dowel - or is this just a dumb idea (I'm new to DLGs - so not sure if there is some technical feasibility issue here as well). Thanks, J --- In BugHLG@yahoogroups.com, John Gallagher <gldrgidr@...> wrote: > > Jimmy, > Welcome. > Here's a photo from the bughlg group website showing the dimensions. > > http://ph.groups.yahoo.com/group/BugHLG/photos/view/36e8?b=5 > > You can check out the other photo folders for how most builders are using carbon fiber to reinforce the tail pieces. > > John > > jimmy_otool <jimmy_otool@...> wrote: > Just got the bug plan from RCM - I'd like to build it cross tail - What > are the basic demensions for the tail that are recommended? Do they > need any reinforcement? > > Thanks, > > J > > > > > > > --------------------------------- > Never Miss an Email > Stay connected with Yahoo! Mail on your mobile. Get started! > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] >
Date: Sunday, January 14, 2007 1:18 PM
Subject: Re: [BugHLG] Cross Tail Dimensions
Jimmy, Welcome. Here's a photo from the bughlg group website showing the dimensions. http://ph.groups.yahoo.com/group/BugHLG/photos/view/36e8?b=5 You can check out the other photo folders for how most builders are using carbon fiber to reinforce the tail pieces. John jimmy_otool <jimmy_otool@...> wrote: Just got the bug plan from RCM - I'd like to build it cross tail - What are the basic demensions for the tail that are recommended? Do they need any reinforcement? Thanks, J --------------------------------- Never Miss an Email Stay connected with Yahoo! Mail on your mobile. Get started! [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
Date: Saturday, January 13, 2007 2:52 PM
Subject: Cross Tail Dimensions
Just got the bug plan from RCM - I'd like to build it cross tail - What are the basic demensions for the tail that are recommended? Do they need any reinforcement? Thanks, J