Bug HLG

Archive of the Yahoo! Groups mailing list for the Bug hand-launch glider 2002-2018

Date: Sunday, February 3, 2013 1:00 PM
Subject: Re: [BugHLG] Re: BUG DLG Modifications
Laser is nice. But... It doesn't take too long to cut a kit out by hand. I cut out 3 in the course of a week putzing about while watching TV in the evening. Hand cutting allows changes in airfoil and fuse shape. Steve On Feb 3, 2013, at 11:53 AM, gldrgidr wrote: > For future reference, go to the group site and click on messages on the left side. There's a small box in the center above the first message shown for message number. > > --- In BugHLG@yahoogroups.com, "Target" wrote: > > > > Hi, Frank- > > > > I bought the Bug laser cut kits from Dave at DPCMODELS@... > > He charged very little for the parts, and already has the files. The service was extremely fast, and he is located in the Southwestern US, in New Mexico. > > Dave told me I could post his info here, but urged me to state that he is CLOSED until Jan 5th. > > I HIGHLY recommend his laser cutting services, based on my first experience with him being 100% positive. > > Please respect his wishes to wait until Jan 5th before trying to contact him. When you do, I'm sure you will be satisfied with the service he provides. > > Also, you will need the non-laser cut pieces, like the TE, LE dowel, wing spars, etc. You'll be getting JUST the balsa and ply fuse tail and wing parts. > > > > I will post more when I get my group of 5 rolling on the bug project > > I'm currently at the opposite end of the spectrum, working on restoring a hand-me-down crashed 1/4 scale Discus sailplane, should weigh about 15 pounds RTF! > > > > R, > > Chris > > > > --- In BugHLG@yahoogroups.com, fcw37363@ wrote: > > > > > > Please tell me where I can buy a Bug Kit. Thank in advance. > > > Frank > > > Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry > > > > > > -----Original Message----- > > > From: cbbehm.lmbehm@ > > > Sender: BugHLG@yahoogroups.com > > > Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2012 23:35:40 > > > To: > > > Reply-To: BugHLG@yahoogroups.com > > > Subject: Re: [BugHLG] BUG DLG Modifications > > > > > > DLR- > > > > > > > > > > All sounds good. > > > > > I'm wondering about the radio gear for the bug, particularly the battery and servos. I fly JR/Spektrum, so I plan on one of the HK Orange Rx's. > > > > > I have 4 buddies, I bought us all laser cut Lightnin' Bug kits with the AG wing profile and ribs. > > > > > > > > > > Another question is how to get the lightest tail parts... Holes and covering? Or sealed (or glassed) solid surfaces uncovered? > > > > > > > > > > R, > > > > > Chris B > > > > > Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone with SprintSpeed > > > > > > > > > > -----Original Message----- > > > > > From: "drawley@" > > > > > Sender: BugHLG@yahoogroups.com > > > > > Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2012 20:35:25 > > > > > To: > > > > > Reply-To: BugHLG@yahoogroups.com > > > > > Subject: [BugHLG] BUG DLG Modifications > > > > > > > > > > Over the years as time (allotted by my wife) has allowed me to play, I have refined my BUG to withstand full power DLG launches (at least by me). I have kept with the standard planform, and modified as my launch technique improved and thus the power put into the launch. > > > > > > > > > > First thing I modified was the extension of the the carbon spar to the tip on the AC left wing. I actually just pinch this point for DL, as the plane has very little mass to contend with during launch. I used a 0.500" ply of carbon tissue on each side to distribute the load into the local area. > > > > > > > > > > Next thing I consistently lost was the V-Tail. A few iterations led me back to maintaining the V-Tail and skinning them with .075 oz glass on one side only. > > > > > > > > > > This got me to the point where I ended up shearing the spar from the rib attach points. Solved this issue with carbon tissue again, this time using it on the outboard side of the wing ribs in a .750" wide patch centered over the attach point. This allowed the spar to be inserted from the tip inboard and reinforce the inside of the hole as well. > > > > > > > > > > The next thing to go was the LE to Rib attach points. I built the next wing using carbon tow overlapping the LE and rib interface by about 1.00". > > > > > > > > > > Somewhere along the line I added an EPP foam nose to help with landing rash. > > > > > > > > > > The fuselage is the next item I would like to improve, mostly due to multiple re-builds while teaching my daughter to fly the bug:) oh and the occasional impact with a goal post, and the ground, and the... > > > > > > > > > > The bug is by far my most flown RC due to size, portability, and fun. I often fly during lunch and break weather and schedule permitting. Currently I am in another rebuild of the fuse, and recover of the wing. > > > > > > > > > > If I get time over break, I plan to do a full build, from scratch to get a good weight to pass along to you all. Currently there are so many patches it wouldn't be a fair assessment. > > > > > > > > > > Most of my flying buddies can't believe how strong of a launch I can get with the bug, and other than the fuse, it is pretty bulletproof. Still get dead air flights around 20 seconds, and I often catch enough to extend that, so it keeps me entertained:) > > > > > > > > > > Hope that gives some ideas, > > > > > Pics to follow, once I figure out how. > > > > > Regards, > > > > > DLR > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > > > > > > > > > > > > ------------------------------------ > > > > > > Home Page - http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BugHLG/ > > > > > > Yahoo! Groups Links > > > > > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
Date: Sunday, February 3, 2013 12:53 PM
Subject: Re: BUG DLG Modifications
For future reference, go to the group site and click on messages on the left side. There's a small box in the center above the first message shown for message number. --- In BugHLG@yahoogroups.com, "Target" wrote: > > Hi, Frank- > > I bought the Bug laser cut kits from Dave at DPCMODELS@... > He charged very little for the parts, and already has the files. The service was extremely fast, and he is located in the Southwestern US, in New Mexico. > Dave told me I could post his info here, but urged me to state that he is CLOSED until Jan 5th. > I HIGHLY recommend his laser cutting services, based on my first experience with him being 100% positive. > Please respect his wishes to wait until Jan 5th before trying to contact him. When you do, I'm sure you will be satisfied with the service he provides. > Also, you will need the non-laser cut pieces, like the TE, LE dowel, wing spars, etc. You'll be getting JUST the balsa and ply fuse tail and wing parts. > > I will post more when I get my group of 5 rolling on the bug project > I'm currently at the opposite end of the spectrum, working on restoring a hand-me-down crashed 1/4 scale Discus sailplane, should weigh about 15 pounds RTF! > > R, > Chris > > --- In BugHLG@yahoogroups.com, fcw37363@ wrote: > > > > Please tell me where I can buy a Bug Kit. Thank in advance. > > Frank > > Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry > > > > -----Original Message----- > > From: cbbehm.lmbehm@ > > Sender: BugHLG@yahoogroups.com > > Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2012 23:35:40 > > To: > > Reply-To: BugHLG@yahoogroups.com > > Subject: Re: [BugHLG] BUG DLG Modifications > > > > DLR- > > > > > > All sounds good. > > > I'm wondering about the radio gear for the bug, particularly the battery and servos. I fly JR/Spektrum, so I plan on one of the HK Orange Rx's. > > > I have 4 buddies, I bought us all laser cut Lightnin' Bug kits with the AG wing profile and ribs. > > > > > > Another question is how to get the lightest tail parts... Holes and covering? Or sealed (or glassed) solid surfaces uncovered? > > > > > > R, > > > Chris B > > > Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone with SprintSpeed > > > > > > -----Original Message----- > > > From: "drawley@" > > > Sender: BugHLG@yahoogroups.com > > > Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2012 20:35:25 > > > To: > > > Reply-To: BugHLG@yahoogroups.com > > > Subject: [BugHLG] BUG DLG Modifications > > > > > > Over the years as time (allotted by my wife) has allowed me to play, I have refined my BUG to withstand full power DLG launches (at least by me). I have kept with the standard planform, and modified as my launch technique improved and thus the power put into the launch. > > > > > > First thing I modified was the extension of the the carbon spar to the tip on the AC left wing. I actually just pinch this point for DL, as the plane has very little mass to contend with during launch. I used a 0.500" ply of carbon tissue on each side to distribute the load into the local area. > > > > > > Next thing I consistently lost was the V-Tail. A few iterations led me back to maintaining the V-Tail and skinning them with .075 oz glass on one side only. > > > > > > This got me to the point where I ended up shearing the spar from the rib attach points. Solved this issue with carbon tissue again, this time using it on the outboard side of the wing ribs in a .750" wide patch centered over the attach point. This allowed the spar to be inserted from the tip inboard and reinforce the inside of the hole as well. > > > > > > The next thing to go was the LE to Rib attach points. I built the next wing using carbon tow overlapping the LE and rib interface by about 1.00". > > > > > > Somewhere along the line I added an EPP foam nose to help with landing rash. > > > > > > The fuselage is the next item I would like to improve, mostly due to multiple re-builds while teaching my daughter to fly the bug:) oh and the occasional impact with a goal post, and the ground, and the... > > > > > > The bug is by far my most flown RC due to size, portability, and fun. I often fly during lunch and break weather and schedule permitting. Currently I am in another rebuild of the fuse, and recover of the wing. > > > > > > If I get time over break, I plan to do a full build, from scratch to get a good weight to pass along to you all. Currently there are so many patches it wouldn't be a fair assessment. > > > > > > Most of my flying buddies can't believe how strong of a launch I can get with the bug, and other than the fuse, it is pretty bulletproof. Still get dead air flights around 20 seconds, and I often catch enough to extend that, so it keeps me entertained:) > > > > > > Hope that gives some ideas, > > > Pics to follow, once I figure out how. > > > Regards, > > > DLR > > > > > > > > > > > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > > > > > > > > ------------------------------------ > > > > Home Page - http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BugHLG/ > > > > Yahoo! Groups Links > > >
Date: Sunday, December 30, 2012 3:53 PM
Something I learned from building an Allegro Lite..... I built 14 horizontal stabs trying to get one lighter than Drela's sanded solid balsa one. That includes bagged glass/balsa, covered balsa, built up and covered etc. The lightest one was a simple sanded balsa stab with a carbon strip and a light coat of dope. I suspect you'll find the same thing for the bug. Stick with a simple light balsa stab and you'll get the lightest. Maybe add a very light coat of dope to seal. Note the emphasis on light. If you don't have a gram scale next to your building board, your mileage may vary. Steve L. On Dec 30, 2012, at 6:32 AM, John Gallagher wrote: > Chris, > This question has been asked before. > It isn't just a matter of making the tail light. It's a matter of keeping it light and strong. The fin/rudder goes through some severe side forces during a SAL/Discus launch. If you look through the photos of Bugs on the group site, how many do you see with a fin/rudder with lightening holes? This is because lightening holes are also weakening holes. > I'm not saying that it's impossible to have a tail built with lightening holes that has the strength for SAL (early Blaster DLG's had CF built-up tails). It just won't be any lighter than the solid surface tail. > > John > > ________________________________ > From: Christopher Behm <cbbehm.lmbehm@...> > To: BugHLG@yahoogroups.com > Sent: Saturday, December 29, 2012 2:13 PM > Subject: Re: [BugHLG] Re: BUG DLG Modifications > > > > Aren't there some extremely light coverings available now?? > What are your recommendations for sealing the balsa from moisture?? > > Thank you DLR for your advice. > > R, > Chris > > --- On Fri, 12/28/12, gldrgidr <mailto:gldrgidr%40yahoo.com> wrote: > > From: gldrgidr <mailto:gldrgidr%40yahoo.com> > Subject: [BugHLG] Re: BUG DLG Modifications > To: mailto:BugHLG%40yahoogroups.com > Date: Friday, December 28, 2012, 8:59 PM > > > > From long expereince, holes and covering look better but weigh more than a light weight balsa solid surface uncovered. Covering is heavy and will weigh more than the balsa removed in the holes. > > --- In mailto:BugHLG%40yahoogroups.com, cbbehm.lmbehm@... wrote: > > > > > > DLR- > > > > > > All sounds good. > > > I'm wondering about the radio gear for the bug, particularly the battery and servos. I fly JR/Spektrum, so I plan on one of the HK Orange Rx's. > > > I have 4 buddies, I bought us all laser cut Lightnin' Bug kits with the AG wing profile and ribs. > > > > > > Another question is how to get the lightest tail parts... Holes and covering? Or sealed (or glassed) solid surfaces uncovered? > > > > > > R, > > > Chris B > > > Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone with SprintSpeed > > > > > > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
Date: Sunday, December 30, 2012 7:32 AM
Chris, This question has been asked before. It isn't just a matter of making the tail light.  It's a matter of keeping it light and strong.  The fin/rudder goes through some severe  side forces during a SAL/Discus launch.  If you look through the photos of Bugs on the group site, how many do you see with a fin/rudder with lightening holes? This is because lightening holes are also weakening holes.  I'm not saying that it's impossible to have a tail built with lightening holes that has the strength for SAL (early Blaster DLG's had CF built-up tails).  It just won't be any lighter than the solid surface tail.    John ________________________________ From: Christopher Behm <cbbehm.lmbehm@...> To: BugHLG@yahoogroups.com Sent: Saturday, December 29, 2012 2:13 PM Subject: Re: [BugHLG] Re: BUG DLG Modifications   Aren't there some extremely light coverings available now?? What are your recommendations for sealing the balsa from moisture?? Thank you DLR for your advice. R, Chris --- On Fri, 12/28/12, gldrgidr <mailto:gldrgidr%40yahoo.com> wrote: From: gldrgidr <mailto:gldrgidr%40yahoo.com> Subject: [BugHLG] Re: BUG DLG Modifications To: mailto:BugHLG%40yahoogroups.com Date: Friday, December 28, 2012, 8:59 PM   From long expereince, holes and covering look better but weigh more than a light weight balsa solid surface uncovered. Covering is heavy and will weigh more than the balsa removed in the holes. --- In mailto:BugHLG%40yahoogroups.com, cbbehm.lmbehm@... wrote: > > DLR- > > All sounds good. > I'm wondering about the radio gear for the bug, particularly the battery and servos. I fly JR/Spektrum, so I plan on one of the HK Orange Rx's. > I have 4 buddies, I bought us all laser cut Lightnin' Bug kits with the AG wing profile and ribs. > > Another question is how to get the lightest tail parts... Holes and covering? Or sealed (or glassed) solid surfaces uncovered? > > R, > Chris B > Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone with SprintSpeed > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
Date: Saturday, December 29, 2012 2:13 PM
Aren't there some extremely light coverings available now?? What are your recommendations for sealing the balsa from moisture?? Thank you DLR for your advice. R, Chris --- On Fri, 12/28/12, gldrgidr <gldrgidr@...> wrote: From: gldrgidr <gldrgidr@...> Subject: [BugHLG] Re: BUG DLG Modifications To: BugHLG@yahoogroups.com Date: Friday, December 28, 2012, 8:59 PM   From long expereince, holes and covering look better but weigh more than a light weight balsa solid surface uncovered. Covering is heavy and will weigh more than the balsa removed in the holes. --- In BugHLG@yahoogroups.com, cbbehm.lmbehm@... wrote: > > DLR- > > All sounds good. > I'm wondering about the radio gear for the bug, particularly the battery and servos. I fly JR/Spektrum, so I plan on one of the HK Orange Rx's. > I have 4 buddies, I bought us all laser cut Lightnin' Bug kits with the AG wing profile and ribs. > > Another question is how to get the lightest tail parts... Holes and covering? Or sealed (or glassed) solid surfaces uncovered? > > R, > Chris B > Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone with SprintSpeed > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
Date: Saturday, December 29, 2012 2:08 PM
Hi, Frank- I bought the Bug laser cut kits from Dave at DPCMODELS@... He charged very little for the parts, and already has the files. The service was extremely fast, and he is located in the Southwestern US, in New Mexico. Dave told me I could post his info here, but urged me to state that he is CLOSED until Jan 5th. I HIGHLY recommend his laser cutting services, based on my first experience with him being 100% positive. Please respect his wishes to wait until Jan 5th before trying to contact him. When you do, I'm sure you will be satisfied with the service he provides. Also, you will need the non-laser cut pieces, like the TE, LE dowel, wing spars, etc. You'll be getting JUST the balsa and ply fuse tail and wing parts. I will post more when I get my group of 5 rolling on the bug project I'm currently at the opposite end of the spectrum, working on restoring a hand-me-down crashed 1/4 scale Discus sailplane, should weigh about 15 pounds RTF! R, Chris --- In BugHLG@yahoogroups.com, fcw37363@... wrote: > > Please tell me where I can buy a Bug Kit. Thank in advance. > Frank > Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry > > -----Original Message----- > From: cbbehm.lmbehm@... > Sender: BugHLG@yahoogroups.com > Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2012 23:35:40 > To: <BugHLG@yahoogroups.com> > Reply-To: BugHLG@yahoogroups.com > Subject: Re: [BugHLG] BUG DLG Modifications > > DLR- > > All sounds good. > I'm wondering about the radio gear for the bug, particularly the battery and servos. I fly JR/Spektrum, so I plan on one of the HK Orange Rx's. > I have 4 buddies, I bought us all laser cut Lightnin' Bug kits with the AG wing profile and ribs. > > Another question is how to get the lightest tail parts... Holes and covering? Or sealed (or glassed) solid surfaces uncovered? > > R, > Chris B > Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone with SprintSpeed > > -----Original Message----- > From: "drawley@..." <drawley@...> > Sender: BugHLG@yahoogroups.com > Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2012 20:35:25 > To: <BugHLG@yahoogroups.com> > Reply-To: BugHLG@yahoogroups.com > Subject: [BugHLG] BUG DLG Modifications > > Over the years as time (allotted by my wife) has allowed me to play, I have refined my BUG to withstand full power DLG launches (at least by me). I have kept with the standard planform, and modified as my launch technique improved and thus the power put into the launch. > > First thing I modified was the extension of the the carbon spar to the tip on the AC left wing. I actually just pinch this point for DL, as the plane has very little mass to contend with during launch. I used a 0.500" ply of carbon tissue on each side to distribute the load into the local area. > > Next thing I consistently lost was the V-Tail. A few iterations led me back to maintaining the V-Tail and skinning them with .075 oz glass on one side only. > > This got me to the point where I ended up shearing the spar from the rib attach points. Solved this issue with carbon tissue again, this time using it on the outboard side of the wing ribs in a .750" wide patch centered over the attach point. This allowed the spar to be inserted from the tip inboard and reinforce the inside of the hole as well. > > The next thing to go was the LE to Rib attach points. I built the next wing using carbon tow overlapping the LE and rib interface by about 1.00". > > Somewhere along the line I added an EPP foam nose to help with landing rash. > > The fuselage is the next item I would like to improve, mostly due to multiple re-builds while teaching my daughter to fly the bug:) oh and the occasional impact with a goal post, and the ground, and the... > > The bug is by far my most flown RC due to size, portability, and fun. I often fly during lunch and break weather and schedule permitting. Currently I am in another rebuild of the fuse, and recover of the wing. > > If I get time over break, I plan to do a full build, from scratch to get a good weight to pass along to you all. Currently there are so many patches it wouldn't be a fair assessment. > > Most of my flying buddies can't believe how strong of a launch I can get with the bug, and other than the fuse, it is pretty bulletproof. Still get dead air flights around 20 seconds, and I often catch enough to extend that, so it keeps me entertained:) > > Hope that gives some ideas, > Pics to follow, once I figure out how. > Regards, > DLR > > > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > > > > ------------------------------------ > > Home Page - http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BugHLG/ > > Yahoo! Groups Links >
Date: Saturday, December 29, 2012 1:35 PM
Subject: Re: [BugHLG] BUG DLG Modifications
Hello Frank if you like to get a kit , you can mail me. i do have a few kits left in stock greetings jan-Hein On 12/29/2012 11:59 AM, fcw37363@aol.com wrote: > > Please tell me where I can buy a Bug Kit. Thank in advance. > Frank > Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry > > -----Original Message----- > From: cbbehm.lmbehm@... <mailto:cbbehm.lmbehm%40sbcglobal.net> > Sender: BugHLG@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BugHLG%40yahoogroups.com> > Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2012 23:35:40 > To: <BugHLG@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BugHLG%40yahoogroups.com>> > Reply-To: BugHLG@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BugHLG%40yahoogroups.com> > Subject: Re: [BugHLG] BUG DLG Modifications > > DLR- > > All sounds good. > I'm wondering about the radio gear for the bug, particularly the > battery and servos. I fly JR/Spektrum, so I plan on one of the HK > Orange Rx's. > I have 4 buddies, I bought us all laser cut Lightnin' Bug kits with > the AG wing profile and ribs. > > Another question is how to get the lightest tail parts... Holes and > covering? Or sealed (or glassed) solid surfaces uncovered? > > R, > Chris B > Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone with SprintSpeed > > -----Original Message----- > From: "drawley@... <mailto:drawley%40rocketmail.com>" > <drawley@rocketmail.com <mailto:drawley%40rocketmail.com>> > Sender: BugHLG@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BugHLG%40yahoogroups.com> > Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2012 20:35:25 > To: <BugHLG@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BugHLG%40yahoogroups.com>> > Reply-To: BugHLG@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BugHLG%40yahoogroups.com> > Subject: [BugHLG] BUG DLG Modifications > > Over the years as time (allotted by my wife) has allowed me to play, I > have refined my BUG to withstand full power DLG launches (at least by > me). I have kept with the standard planform, and modified as my launch > technique improved and thus the power put into the launch. > > First thing I modified was the extension of the the carbon spar to the > tip on the AC left wing. I actually just pinch this point for DL, as > the plane has very little mass to contend with during launch. I used a > 0.500" ply of carbon tissue on each side to distribute the load into > the local area. > > Next thing I consistently lost was the V-Tail. A few iterations led me > back to maintaining the V-Tail and skinning them with .075 oz glass on > one side only. > > This got me to the point where I ended up shearing the spar from the > rib attach points. Solved this issue with carbon tissue again, this > time using it on the outboard side of the wing ribs in a .750" wide > patch centered over the attach point. This allowed the spar to be > inserted from the tip inboard and reinforce the inside of the hole as > well. > > The next thing to go was the LE to Rib attach points. I built the next > wing using carbon tow overlapping the LE and rib interface by about > 1.00". > > Somewhere along the line I added an EPP foam nose to help with landing > rash. > > The fuselage is the next item I would like to improve, mostly due to > multiple re-builds while teaching my daughter to fly the bug:) oh and > the occasional impact with a goal post, and the ground, and the... > > The bug is by far my most flown RC due to size, portability, and fun. > I often fly during lunch and break weather and schedule permitting. > Currently I am in another rebuild of the fuse, and recover of the wing. > > If I get time over break, I plan to do a full build, from scratch to > get a good weight to pass along to you all. Currently there are so > many patches it wouldn't be a fair assessment. > > Most of my flying buddies can't believe how strong of a launch I can > get with the bug, and other than the fuse, it is pretty bulletproof. > Still get dead air flights around 20 seconds, and I often catch enough > to extend that, so it keeps me entertained:) > > Hope that gives some ideas, > Pics to follow, once I figure out how. > Regards, > DLR > > > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > > > > ------------------------------------ > > Home Page - http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BugHLG/ > > Yahoo! Groups Links > > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
Date: Saturday, December 29, 2012 5:59 AM
Please tell me where I can buy a Bug Kit. Thank in advance. Frank Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry -----Original Message----- From: cbbehm.lmbehm@sbcglobal.net Sender: BugHLG@yahoogroups.com Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2012 23:35:40 To: <BugHLG@yahoogroups.com> Reply-To: BugHLG@yahoogroups.com Subject: Re: [BugHLG] BUG DLG Modifications DLR- All sounds good. I'm wondering about the radio gear for the bug, particularly the battery and servos. I fly JR/Spektrum, so I plan on one of the HK Orange Rx's. I have 4 buddies, I bought us all laser cut Lightnin' Bug kits with the AG wing profile and ribs. Another question is how to get the lightest tail parts... Holes and covering? Or sealed (or glassed) solid surfaces uncovered? R, Chris B Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone with SprintSpeed -----Original Message----- From: "drawley@rocketmail.com" <drawley@rocketmail.com> Sender: BugHLG@yahoogroups.com Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2012 20:35:25 To: <BugHLG@yahoogroups.com> Reply-To: BugHLG@yahoogroups.com Subject: [BugHLG] BUG DLG Modifications Over the years as time (allotted by my wife) has allowed me to play, I have refined my BUG to withstand full power DLG launches (at least by me). I have kept with the standard planform, and modified as my launch technique improved and thus the power put into the launch. First thing I modified was the extension of the the carbon spar to the tip on the AC left wing. I actually just pinch this point for DL, as the plane has very little mass to contend with during launch. I used a 0.500" ply of carbon tissue on each side to distribute the load into the local area. Next thing I consistently lost was the V-Tail. A few iterations led me back to maintaining the V-Tail and skinning them with .075 oz glass on one side only. This got me to the point where I ended up shearing the spar from the rib attach points. Solved this issue with carbon tissue again, this time using it on the outboard side of the wing ribs in a .750" wide patch centered over the attach point. This allowed the spar to be inserted from the tip inboard and reinforce the inside of the hole as well. The next thing to go was the LE to Rib attach points. I built the next wing using carbon tow overlapping the LE and rib interface by about 1.00". Somewhere along the line I added an EPP foam nose to help with landing rash. The fuselage is the next item I would like to improve, mostly due to multiple re-builds while teaching my daughter to fly the bug:) oh and the occasional impact with a goal post, and the ground, and the... The bug is by far my most flown RC due to size, portability, and fun. I often fly during lunch and break weather and schedule permitting. Currently I am in another rebuild of the fuse, and recover of the wing. If I get time over break, I plan to do a full build, from scratch to get a good weight to pass along to you all. Currently there are so many patches it wouldn't be a fair assessment. Most of my flying buddies can't believe how strong of a launch I can get with the bug, and other than the fuse, it is pretty bulletproof. Still get dead air flights around 20 seconds, and I often catch enough to extend that, so it keeps me entertained:) Hope that gives some ideas, Pics to follow, once I figure out how. Regards, DLR [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] ------------------------------------ Home Page - http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BugHLG/ Yahoo! Groups Links
Date: Friday, December 28, 2012 11:59 PM
From long expereince, holes and covering look better but weigh more than a light weight balsa solid surface uncovered. Covering is heavy and will weigh more than the balsa removed in the holes. --- In BugHLG@yahoogroups.com, cbbehm.lmbehm@... wrote: > > DLR- > > All sounds good. > I'm wondering about the radio gear for the bug, particularly the battery and servos. I fly JR/Spektrum, so I plan on one of the HK Orange Rx's. > I have 4 buddies, I bought us all laser cut Lightnin' Bug kits with the AG wing profile and ribs. > > Another question is how to get the lightest tail parts... Holes and covering? Or sealed (or glassed) solid surfaces uncovered? > > R, > Chris B > Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone with SprintSpeed > >
Date: Friday, December 28, 2012 6:35 PM
DLR- All sounds good. I'm wondering about the radio gear for the bug, particularly the battery and servos. I fly JR/Spektrum, so I plan on one of the HK Orange Rx's. I have 4 buddies, I bought us all laser cut Lightnin' Bug kits with the AG wing profile and ribs. Another question is how to get the lightest tail parts... Holes and covering? Or sealed (or glassed) solid surfaces uncovered? R, Chris B Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone with SprintSpeed -----Original Message----- From: "drawley@..." <drawley@...> Sender: BugHLG@yahoogroups.com Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2012 20:35:25 To: <BugHLG@yahoogroups.com> Reply-To: BugHLG@yahoogroups.com Subject: [BugHLG] BUG DLG Modifications Over the years as time (allotted by my wife) has allowed me to play, I have refined my BUG to withstand full power DLG launches (at least by me). I have kept with the standard planform, and modified as my launch technique improved and thus the power put into the launch. First thing I modified was the extension of the the carbon spar to the tip on the AC left wing. I actually just pinch this point for DL, as the plane has very little mass to contend with during launch. I used a 0.500" ply of carbon tissue on each side to distribute the load into the local area. Next thing I consistently lost was the V-Tail. A few iterations led me back to maintaining the V-Tail and skinning them with .075 oz glass on one side only. This got me to the point where I ended up shearing the spar from the rib attach points. Solved this issue with carbon tissue again, this time using it on the outboard side of the wing ribs in a .750" wide patch centered over the attach point. This allowed the spar to be inserted from the tip inboard and reinforce the inside of the hole as well. The next thing to go was the LE to Rib attach points. I built the next wing using carbon tow overlapping the LE and rib interface by about 1.00". Somewhere along the line I added an EPP foam nose to help with landing rash. The fuselage is the next item I would like to improve, mostly due to multiple re-builds while teaching my daughter to fly the bug:) oh and the occasional impact with a goal post, and the ground, and the... The bug is by far my most flown RC due to size, portability, and fun. I often fly during lunch and break weather and schedule permitting. Currently I am in another rebuild of the fuse, and recover of the wing. If I get time over break, I plan to do a full build, from scratch to get a good weight to pass along to you all. Currently there are so many patches it wouldn't be a fair assessment. Most of my flying buddies can't believe how strong of a launch I can get with the bug, and other than the fuse, it is pretty bulletproof. Still get dead air flights around 20 seconds, and I often catch enough to extend that, so it keeps me entertained:) Hope that gives some ideas, Pics to follow, once I figure out how. Regards, DLR [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
Date: Friday, December 28, 2012 3:35 PM
Subject: BUG DLG Modifications
Over the years as time (allotted by my wife) has allowed me to play, I have refined my BUG to withstand full power DLG launches (at least by me). I have kept with the standard planform, and modified as my launch technique improved and thus the power put into the launch. First thing I modified was the extension of the the carbon spar to the tip on the AC left wing. I actually just pinch this point for DL, as the plane has very little mass to contend with during launch. I used a 0.500" ply of carbon tissue on each side to distribute the load into the local area. Next thing I consistently lost was the V-Tail. A few iterations led me back to maintaining the V-Tail and skinning them with .075 oz glass on one side only. This got me to the point where I ended up shearing the spar from the rib attach points. Solved this issue with carbon tissue again, this time using it on the outboard side of the wing ribs in a .750" wide patch centered over the attach point. This allowed the spar to be inserted from the tip inboard and reinforce the inside of the hole as well. The next thing to go was the LE to Rib attach points. I built the next wing using carbon tow overlapping the LE and rib interface by about 1.00". Somewhere along the line I added an EPP foam nose to help with landing rash. The fuselage is the next item I would like to improve, mostly due to multiple re-builds while teaching my daughter to fly the bug:) oh and the occasional impact with a goal post, and the ground, and the... The bug is by far my most flown RC due to size, portability, and fun. I often fly during lunch and break weather and schedule permitting. Currently I am in another rebuild of the fuse, and recover of the wing. If I get time over break, I plan to do a full build, from scratch to get a good weight to pass along to you all. Currently there are so many patches it wouldn't be a fair assessment. Most of my flying buddies can't believe how strong of a launch I can get with the bug, and other than the fuse, it is pretty bulletproof. Still get dead air flights around 20 seconds, and I often catch enough to extend that, so it keeps me entertained:) Hope that gives some ideas, Pics to follow, once I figure out how. Regards, DLR