Bug HLG

Archive of the Yahoo! Groups mailing list for the Bug hand-launch glider 2002-2018

Date: Tuesday, October 28, 2014 1:01 PM
Subject: Re: BugX Electronics
You still need batteries and a charger.  I would suggest going with 1s Lipo batteries with a booster to push you from 3.7 volts to 5 volts.

This battery:
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__35610__Turnigy_nano_tech_300mah_1S_35_70C_Lipo_Pack_Fits_Nine_Eagles_Solo_Pro_100_USA_Warehouse_.html
There are lighter batteries, but 300mah will give you a lot of flight time.

This Booster:
TURNIGY Voltage Booster for Servo & Rx (1S to 5v 1A) (USA Warehouse)

There are lots of chargers out there.  Here is a dirt cheap USB charger:
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=57346

So after shipping your entire radio package will still be under $60
Date: Friday, October 10, 2014 8:37 PM
Hi from RCbobcat55 I am using Blue Arrow BS4.3 gram servos in both of my bugs with 4 cell 300 mah nigh packs and they work fine. I bought 2 dozen of them about 2 years ago and have only a few left. I use them in my ARF Quark pitcheron models and have had no problems with them at all. I just purchased some of their 2.5 gm digital servos to try them out. Bob M.. PS my bug has been flown in 8 states and from the Wright Brothers monument in North Carolina. Bob M.
Date: Friday, October 10, 2014 5:38 AM
I've been using Dymond D47 servos in my Bug, and really like them. They are "high voltage", so if you happen to be using Spektrum radio gear, you can run everything off a ~350mah 2S lipo without needing a voltage regulator.

Someone mentioned the MiMi. I haven't built one yet, but I have made an Icarus, which is another nice scratch built smalll DLG. Search "Icarus" in the RCG handlaunch glider section.
Date: Thursday, October 9, 2014 7:42 AM
i have been using the orx400 rx a single cell 20mah lipo and two of the hobbyking 3.6 gram servos in my 34 inch bugx works great i am in the sub 3 oz range now.
Date: Thursday, October 9, 2014 5:08 AM
Small gliders need to be extremely light to thermal at all.
Apart from using a light stiff boom (4-5gm broken carbon fishing pole is good) and light balsa tails, the gear should be less than a ounce. May need to extend the nose for balance.
Also look at the Mimi, a slightly larger DLG that has a good reputation as a scratch or kit build: Free drawing mini-DLG 1 meter - RC Groups
An inexpensive radio system that has room to grow into being a general sport flying radio with programmable mixing for launch presets (via computer or cell phone) is the FlySky T6: Another new 2.4GHz system! - RC Groups
Sold under many brands including HobbyKing: Hobby King 2.4Ghz 6Ch Tx & Rx V2 (Mode 2)
Get the 3 channel receiver - without case only 3gms: HobbyKing® ™ GT2E 2.4Ghz Receiver 3Ch
Will run on a single Lipo - around 200mAh is plenty.
A couple of 3-6gms servos - need higher torque for rudder than elevator due to launch loads.
All up around US$50 when logged in!
Date: Tuesday, October 7, 2014 6:18 PM
Subject: BugX Electronics

I am making a bugx glider. it is my first balsa glider and i am very confused as to what servos/battery/transmitter/receivers i should use. Any help would be great. thanks.