Bug HLG

Archive of the Yahoo! Groups mailing list for the Bug hand-launch glider 2002-2018

Date: Tuesday, June 30, 2015 2:15 PM
Subject: Re: [BugHLG] Launching
Date: Tuesday, June 30, 2015 12:11 PM
John

Could you be kind enough to point me to this "silicone rubber" that you ordered from Hobby King?

perhaps a link, or an item number on Hobby King's site

I have looked on the website, even searched for it, to no avail

thanks

Joe M

To: BugHLG@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Tuesday, June 30, 2015 11:02 AM

You can only be right if the rubber remains stretched at the point of release. I've seen this happen in strong winds but most of the time, the height reached isn't going to be more than the length of the rubber combined with the length of the string. You could probably add more string with silicone rubber so maybe that would get you more launch height.
After the wear and tear of 15 years of hand launching and DLG, my body appreciates that I minimize the steps needed to launch.
Even with that, I'm curious enough that I just ordered the silicone rubber from HobbyKing. With shipping from the east coast warehouse the cost was a bit over $11.

John

• BugHLG@yahoogroups.com

Date: Tuesday, June 30, 2015 11:25 AM
$11.00 sounds like a real good deal. I've purchased quite a few items from HK and the quality has always been exceptional. Putting together a Hi-Start from scratch should be a snap. A long nail from the hardware store. Some nylon string. A couple of Key Rings. A piece of cloth for a ribbon. Probably stuff you already lying around.

Can't wait to see how it all comes out. Maybe you can post some pics and/or some video when you piece it all together.

g
Date: Tuesday, June 30, 2015 11:02 AM
You can only be right if the rubber remains stretched at the point of release.  I've seen this happen in strong winds but most of the time, the height reached isn't going to be more than the length of the rubber combined with the length of the string.  You could probably add more string with silicone rubber so maybe that would get you more launch height.
After the wear and tear of 15 years of hand launching and DLG, my body appreciates that I minimize the steps needed to launch.  
Even with that, I'm curious enough that I just ordered the silicone rubber from HobbyKing.  With shipping from the east coast warehouse the cost was a bit over $11.   

John

Date: Tuesday, June 30, 2015 7:31 AM
Truth of the matter is that if you can stretch the silicone twice as far as the usual stuff and still get the same force, the model will go significantly higher. Launch energy is directly proportional to spring constant, but is proportional to the square of the stretch distance. I fly free flight gliders competitively, and the stretchier rubber definitely provides an altitude advantage. It's also lower stress--the stretchier rubber has a slightly slower acceleration, but being over a longer distance, gets you going faster in the end.

On Mon, Jun 29, 2015 at 10:21 PM, gldrgidr@... [BugHLG] <BugHLG@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

I haven't tested this but I have heard it from others.  Normal rubber stretches about three times it's length.  Silicone stretches about 6 times it's length to give the same pull.  This means that you have to pull the silicone high start back twice as far to get the same height.  I'm 65 and  I tend to choose less effort over more.  There's also a matter of needing a longer field.  But you can't beat the price!

--
Joshua Finn, Ph.D., CFII
Mercer Engineering Research Center
AMA 875391
jfinn@...
Isaiah 40:31
Date: Monday, June 29, 2015 10:21 PM
Subject: Launching

I haven't tested this but I have heard it from others.  Normal rubber stretches about three times it's length.  Silicone stretches about 6 times it's length to give the same pull.  This means that you have to pull the silicone high start back twice as far to get the same height.  I'm 65 and  I tend to choose less effort over more.  There's also a matter of needing a longer field.  But you can't beat the price!

Date: Monday, June 29, 2015 8:35 PM
Subject: Re: Launching
You can get a 6mm od X 10 meter length from Hobby King East or West USA Whse. for $4.10 + shipping. HobbyKing® ™ 6mm Silicon Rubber Bungee Hi-Start Cord

g
Date: Monday, June 29, 2015 6:29 PM
John again.
Here's a link to a complete high start from Tower Hobbies

TowerHobbies.com | Great Planes Dynaflite Standard Hi-Start

This will last two or three years in the sun and will do the job although I think the black rubber from the ebay link is better quality.

If anyone wants it, I can write up instructions on how I build a highstart and place it on the BugHLG group website. 

John

Date: Monday, June 29, 2015 6:16 PM
I have to believe that contest rubber is not treated for UV protection. In a short time (a matter of hours in the sun) it will need to be replaced.

Add 100' of string and you will get over 100' launches. If that's not enough then double everything.
Use a large 8" nail with some washers for an anchor and keyrings for attaching rubber to string and on both ends. I have found that a parachute just gets in the way. Use a 1 inch wide x 16 inch long strip of plastic from a supermarket bag as a marker instead of a parachute. Tie the strip about three feet from the tow ring at the end of the string so pick a visible color - white or yellow. The marker is there to help find the tow ring in the grass. I've been doing this for years, so if you need any more info, just ask.

John Gallagher
Date: Monday, June 29, 2015 5:50 AM
Hi all.  The vintage movement (in UK SAM35) has evolved an "official" size Hi Start for launching up to 36" gliders for those unable, or unwilling, to run. In the UK this is made of 7.5 metres of 1/8" free flight rubber and 22.5 metres of line (other SAMs may have different specs.) This works very well, though I've not yet tried it myself, and apparently in even a very slight breeze little tension is needed to get the model well up.  Good luck and let us know how you get on.  MarkM
Date: Saturday, June 27, 2015 9:40 AM
This is a video of a guy with a Hi Start on a Fling DLG, which is similar in size to the Bug: Fling - A small RC glider ENG - An evening flying with high-start (Sony A65)

look at
Date: Saturday, June 27, 2015 9:37 AM
I don't have a completed Bug, but I wonder if one of the very light histarts that are included with some of the ultramicro planes like my Eflite ASK21 might work
Ben

Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 27, 2015, at 7:12 AM, Steve Leitgen sleitgen@... [BugHLG] <BugHLG@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Yes.

Make a tow hook and epoxy it to a 1/32 ply base. You can fiber tape it to the fuse and adjust position. Use about 20' of light rubber hose and some mono with a ribbon instead of a 'chute.

If you're careful, you can winch anything. You might want to be a tad careful using an F3B winch. : )
On the other hand, if you build a much smaller winch, you could easily winch a Bug. Personally, I'd stick with the high start.

Steve

On Jun 26, 2015, at 8:12 PM, junejack@... [BugHLG] wrote:

I would like to know if anyone knows if a light weigh high start or small winch

has been used for the Bug.

When you get old and your body doesn't work as it use to you have to find new ways

of doing things.

I have been building and flying model airplanes for about 72 yrs and still enjoy

the hobby, just have to make some changes.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Jack

Date: Saturday, June 27, 2015 8:12 AM
Yes.

Make a tow hook and epoxy it to a 1/32 ply base. You can fiber tape it to the fuse and adjust position. Use about 20' of light rubber hose and some mono with a ribbon instead of a 'chute.

If you're careful, you can winch anything. You might want to be a tad careful using an F3B winch. : )
On the other hand, if you build a much smaller winch, you could easily winch a Bug. Personally, I'd stick with the high start.

Steve

On Jun 26, 2015, at 8:12 PM, junejack@... [BugHLG] wrote:

When you get old and your body doesn't work as it use to you have to find new ways

of doing things.

I have been building and flying model airplanes for about 72 yrs and still enjoy

Jack

Date: Saturday, June 27, 2015 7:43 AM
Somewhere in one of the long threads about the Bug on RC Groups I believe I saw information about putting a towhook on a Bug and using a light high start to launch it.

Found one of 'em:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=18833477&postcount=267

There are others, but I'll leave it to you to search them out.

The "Bringing Back the Bug" thread on RC Groups is a really good read for anyone interested in the Bug. There's another Bug thread too, but I can't remember the name.

Rick
Date: Friday, June 26, 2015 9:12 PM
Subject: Launching

of doing things.

Jack