Bug HLG

Archive of the Yahoo! Groups mailing list for the Bug hand-launch glider 2002-2018

Date: Thursday, September 19, 2002 4:48 PM
Subject: Re: Gyro for discus launching?
Thanks for the input. Im not sure if I will build the cruciform this time or not. I am working on a 2nd fuse but I have not had mush time. I have used a 1/8th CF tube for the boom. The V-Tail may work better than the cruciform on that size of boom. I have the V-Tail already cut so I may have already have made the choice. Thanks again, and I'm sure I will try the cruciform sometime. --- In BugHLG@y..., "bob_chiang2" <rhc3@c...> wrote: > Hi John, > > I thought about mounting the horizontal stabilizer with screws or > something, but didn't on this one. The vertical stab is slotted to > mount on the fuse boom closer to the centerline, the horizontal stab > is glued to the pylon, and the pylon glued to the boom. > > This was my first bug, and I built it with the cruciform tail. I > haven't tried a v-tail bug. The v-tail might be lighter, but from > what I've read, the cruciform is better for side arm launching: less > stress imposed on the fuse, and straighter launches. > > -BC > > --- In BugHLG@y..., "John Gospodarek" <John.Gospodarek@i...> wrote: > > Bob, did you make your tail detachable? I can't tell from the > > pictures. Do you like the new tail better than the V-tail? Thanks. > > > > > > > > --- In BugHLG@y..., "bob_chiang2" <rhc3@c...> wrote: > > > Hi Colin, > > > > > > I wish I could build with composits as you do. Your carbon Bug is > > > beautiful. > > > > > > The crashes were much easier to repair than I expected. When I > > left > > > the field after the Zagi collision, I half expected to build a new > > > wing. When I figured out what parts needed to be replaced it > > wasn't > > > so bad. It took one evening of cutting (and much pondering) and > > one > > > morning of gluing. I have been very impressed with the strength > of > > > the built-up ribs and the Bug wing. > > > > > > I did use your patterns for the tail. Thank you! All that I > > changed > > > was to increase the percentage of the movable areas. I don't know > > if > > > I needed to, but I remember reading that deflecting a larger area > a > > > smaller angle results in less drag. I put the horizontal stab on > a > > > pylon so the control horn would be in line with the fuse boom and > I > > > could run the pushrod within the boom. And I mounted the vertical > > fin > > > as close to the centerline of the fuse boom as I could while > > allowing > > > room for the pushrods to exit the tube. > > > > > > With the cruciform tail it does launch straight with no presets. > > When > > > you get your carbon Bug repaired, I'd suggest you try it without > > the > > > gyro. > > > > > > Bob Chiang > > > Ithaca, NY USA > > > > > > --- In BugHLG@y..., "Colin Bosch" <colin.bosch@m...> wrote: > > > > Bob, > > > > > > > > Love your lace wing! Sorry to see your crash photos. > > > > > > > > The tail you used looks a lot like my carbon Bug. Did you use > > those > > > > patterns? Did you change anything? > > > > > > > > I'm curious about your lauching be straight without a gyro. Are > > you > > > > getting straight launches without any presets? > > > > > > > > --Colin-- > > > > > > > > --- In BugHLG@y..., "bob_chiang2" <rhc3@c...> wrote: > > > > > --- In BugHLG@y..., "Dan" <danstrider@a...> wrote: > > > > > > Everyone, > > > > > > > > > > > > I know that Colin used a gyro on his Bug for stability > during > > > > > > launch. I was wondering what gyros, if any, you all are > > using > > > > and > > > > > > their weights. > > > > > > > > > > > > Colin, I'm curious to see if a gyro is worth the weight for > > the > > > > Bug > > > > > - > > > > > > - is launch performace really affected by the gyro? Might > it > > be > > > > > > possible to manage without the gyro? My control rod setups > > are > > > > > > never rigid enough to get rid of slop, so do you think that > a > > > > gyro > > > > > > would even matter is this case? > > > > > > > > > > > > Thanks, > > > > > > Dan > > > > > > > > > > Hi Dan, > > > > > > > > > > I've never flown with a gyro, so I don't know what they are > > > capable > > > > > of. With a cruciform tail, my Lacewing Bug side arm launches > > very > > > > > straight. Sometimes it would go up too steeply, and sometimes > > at > > > > too > > > > > shallow an angle (due to my launch inconsitencies), but I > > cannot > > > > > remember a launch that didn't go straight out. I can't > comment > > on > > > > > launching or flying a v-tail. > > > > > > > > > > When I was flying a Little Nipper, I did get launches that > > tended > > > > to > > > > > curve. I used a slight amount of right rudder trim to launch, > > > > > corrected with the stick as it slowed down, and then retrimmed > > > when > > > > I > > > > > had time during the flight. > > > > > > > > > > -Bob Chiang > > > > > Ithaca, NY USA
Date: Thursday, September 19, 2002 12:42 PM
Hi John, I thought about mounting the horizontal stabilizer with screws or something, but didn't on this one. The vertical stab is slotted to mount on the fuse boom closer to the centerline, the horizontal stab is glued to the pylon, and the pylon glued to the boom. This was my first bug, and I built it with the cruciform tail. I haven't tried a v-tail bug. The v-tail might be lighter, but from what I've read, the cruciform is better for side arm launching: less stress imposed on the fuse, and straighter launches. -BC --- In BugHLG@y..., "John Gospodarek" <John.Gospodarek@i...> wrote: > Bob, did you make your tail detachable? I can't tell from the > pictures. Do you like the new tail better than the V-tail? Thanks. > > > > --- In BugHLG@y..., "bob_chiang2" <rhc3@c...> wrote: > > Hi Colin, > > > > I wish I could build with composits as you do. Your carbon Bug is > > beautiful. > > > > The crashes were much easier to repair than I expected. When I > left > > the field after the Zagi collision, I half expected to build a new > > wing. When I figured out what parts needed to be replaced it > wasn't > > so bad. It took one evening of cutting (and much pondering) and > one > > morning of gluing. I have been very impressed with the strength of > > the built-up ribs and the Bug wing. > > > > I did use your patterns for the tail. Thank you! All that I > changed > > was to increase the percentage of the movable areas. I don't know > if > > I needed to, but I remember reading that deflecting a larger area a > > smaller angle results in less drag. I put the horizontal stab on a > > pylon so the control horn would be in line with the fuse boom and I > > could run the pushrod within the boom. And I mounted the vertical > fin > > as close to the centerline of the fuse boom as I could while > allowing > > room for the pushrods to exit the tube. > > > > With the cruciform tail it does launch straight with no presets. > When > > you get your carbon Bug repaired, I'd suggest you try it without > the > > gyro. > > > > Bob Chiang > > Ithaca, NY USA > > > > --- In BugHLG@y..., "Colin Bosch" <colin.bosch@m...> wrote: > > > Bob, > > > > > > Love your lace wing! Sorry to see your crash photos. > > > > > > The tail you used looks a lot like my carbon Bug. Did you use > those > > > patterns? Did you change anything? > > > > > > I'm curious about your lauching be straight without a gyro. Are > you > > > getting straight launches without any presets? > > > > > > --Colin-- > > > > > > --- In BugHLG@y..., "bob_chiang2" <rhc3@c...> wrote: > > > > --- In BugHLG@y..., "Dan" <danstrider@a...> wrote: > > > > > Everyone, > > > > > > > > > > I know that Colin used a gyro on his Bug for stability during > > > > > launch. I was wondering what gyros, if any, you all are > using > > > and > > > > > their weights. > > > > > > > > > > Colin, I'm curious to see if a gyro is worth the weight for > the > > > Bug > > > > - > > > > > - is launch performace really affected by the gyro? Might it > be > > > > > possible to manage without the gyro? My control rod setups > are > > > > > never rigid enough to get rid of slop, so do you think that a > > > gyro > > > > > would even matter is this case? > > > > > > > > > > Thanks, > > > > > Dan > > > > > > > > Hi Dan, > > > > > > > > I've never flown with a gyro, so I don't know what they are > > capable > > > > of. With a cruciform tail, my Lacewing Bug side arm launches > very > > > > straight. Sometimes it would go up too steeply, and sometimes > at > > > too > > > > shallow an angle (due to my launch inconsitencies), but I > cannot > > > > remember a launch that didn't go straight out. I can't comment > on > > > > launching or flying a v-tail. > > > > > > > > When I was flying a Little Nipper, I did get launches that > tended > > > to > > > > curve. I used a slight amount of right rudder trim to launch, > > > > corrected with the stick as it slowed down, and then retrimmed > > when > > > I > > > > had time during the flight. > > > > > > > > -Bob Chiang > > > > Ithaca, NY USA
Date: Tuesday, September 17, 2002 11:54 AM
Bob, did you make your tail detachable? I can't tell from the pictures. Do you like the new tail better than the V-tail? Thanks. --- In BugHLG@y..., "bob_chiang2" <rhc3@c...> wrote: > Hi Colin, > > I wish I could build with composits as you do. Your carbon Bug is > beautiful. > > The crashes were much easier to repair than I expected. When I left > the field after the Zagi collision, I half expected to build a new > wing. When I figured out what parts needed to be replaced it wasn't > so bad. It took one evening of cutting (and much pondering) and one > morning of gluing. I have been very impressed with the strength of > the built-up ribs and the Bug wing. > > I did use your patterns for the tail. Thank you! All that I changed > was to increase the percentage of the movable areas. I don't know if > I needed to, but I remember reading that deflecting a larger area a > smaller angle results in less drag. I put the horizontal stab on a > pylon so the control horn would be in line with the fuse boom and I > could run the pushrod within the boom. And I mounted the vertical fin > as close to the centerline of the fuse boom as I could while allowing > room for the pushrods to exit the tube. > > With the cruciform tail it does launch straight with no presets. When > you get your carbon Bug repaired, I'd suggest you try it without the > gyro. > > Bob Chiang > Ithaca, NY USA > > --- In BugHLG@y..., "Colin Bosch" <colin.bosch@m...> wrote: > > Bob, > > > > Love your lace wing! Sorry to see your crash photos. > > > > The tail you used looks a lot like my carbon Bug. Did you use those > > patterns? Did you change anything? > > > > I'm curious about your lauching be straight without a gyro. Are you > > getting straight launches without any presets? > > > > --Colin-- > > > > --- In BugHLG@y..., "bob_chiang2" <rhc3@c...> wrote: > > > --- In BugHLG@y..., "Dan" <danstrider@a...> wrote: > > > > Everyone, > > > > > > > > I know that Colin used a gyro on his Bug for stability during > > > > launch. I was wondering what gyros, if any, you all are using > > and > > > > their weights. > > > > > > > > Colin, I'm curious to see if a gyro is worth the weight for the > > Bug > > > - > > > > - is launch performace really affected by the gyro? Might it be > > > > possible to manage without the gyro? My control rod setups are > > > > never rigid enough to get rid of slop, so do you think that a > > gyro > > > > would even matter is this case? > > > > > > > > Thanks, > > > > Dan > > > > > > Hi Dan, > > > > > > I've never flown with a gyro, so I don't know what they are > capable > > > of. With a cruciform tail, my Lacewing Bug side arm launches very > > > straight. Sometimes it would go up too steeply, and sometimes at > > too > > > shallow an angle (due to my launch inconsitencies), but I cannot > > > remember a launch that didn't go straight out. I can't comment on > > > launching or flying a v-tail. > > > > > > When I was flying a Little Nipper, I did get launches that tended > > to > > > curve. I used a slight amount of right rudder trim to launch, > > > corrected with the stick as it slowed down, and then retrimmed > when > > I > > > had time during the flight. > > > > > > -Bob Chiang > > > Ithaca, NY USA
Date: Thursday, September 12, 2002 8:32 AM
Hi Colin, I wish I could build with composits as you do. Your carbon Bug is beautiful. The crashes were much easier to repair than I expected. When I left the field after the Zagi collision, I half expected to build a new wing. When I figured out what parts needed to be replaced it wasn't so bad. It took one evening of cutting (and much pondering) and one morning of gluing. I have been very impressed with the strength of the built-up ribs and the Bug wing. I did use your patterns for the tail. Thank you! All that I changed was to increase the percentage of the movable areas. I don't know if I needed to, but I remember reading that deflecting a larger area a smaller angle results in less drag. I put the horizontal stab on a pylon so the control horn would be in line with the fuse boom and I could run the pushrod within the boom. And I mounted the vertical fin as close to the centerline of the fuse boom as I could while allowing room for the pushrods to exit the tube. With the cruciform tail it does launch straight with no presets. When you get your carbon Bug repaired, I'd suggest you try it without the gyro. Bob Chiang Ithaca, NY USA --- In BugHLG@y..., "Colin Bosch" <colin.bosch@m...> wrote: > Bob, > > Love your lace wing! Sorry to see your crash photos. > > The tail you used looks a lot like my carbon Bug. Did you use those > patterns? Did you change anything? > > I'm curious about your lauching be straight without a gyro. Are you > getting straight launches without any presets? > > --Colin-- > > --- In BugHLG@y..., "bob_chiang2" <rhc3@c...> wrote: > > --- In BugHLG@y..., "Dan" <danstrider@a...> wrote: > > > Everyone, > > > > > > I know that Colin used a gyro on his Bug for stability during > > > launch. I was wondering what gyros, if any, you all are using > and > > > their weights. > > > > > > Colin, I'm curious to see if a gyro is worth the weight for the > Bug > > - > > > - is launch performace really affected by the gyro? Might it be > > > possible to manage without the gyro? My control rod setups are > > > never rigid enough to get rid of slop, so do you think that a > gyro > > > would even matter is this case? > > > > > > Thanks, > > > Dan > > > > Hi Dan, > > > > I've never flown with a gyro, so I don't know what they are capable > > of. With a cruciform tail, my Lacewing Bug side arm launches very > > straight. Sometimes it would go up too steeply, and sometimes at > too > > shallow an angle (due to my launch inconsitencies), but I cannot > > remember a launch that didn't go straight out. I can't comment on > > launching or flying a v-tail. > > > > When I was flying a Little Nipper, I did get launches that tended > to > > curve. I used a slight amount of right rudder trim to launch, > > corrected with the stick as it slowed down, and then retrimmed when > I > > had time during the flight. > > > > -Bob Chiang > > Ithaca, NY USA
Date: Wednesday, September 11, 2002 1:09 PM
Bob, Love your lace wing! Sorry to see your crash photos. The tail you used looks a lot like my carbon Bug. Did you use those patterns? Did you change anything? I'm curious about your lauching be straight without a gyro. Are you getting straight launches without any presets? --Colin-- --- In BugHLG@y..., "bob_chiang2" <rhc3@c...> wrote: > --- In BugHLG@y..., "Dan" <danstrider@a...> wrote: > > Everyone, > > > > I know that Colin used a gyro on his Bug for stability during > > launch. I was wondering what gyros, if any, you all are using and > > their weights. > > > > Colin, I'm curious to see if a gyro is worth the weight for the Bug > - > > - is launch performace really affected by the gyro? Might it be > > possible to manage without the gyro? My control rod setups are > > never rigid enough to get rid of slop, so do you think that a gyro > > would even matter is this case? > > > > Thanks, > > Dan > > Hi Dan, > > I've never flown with a gyro, so I don't know what they are capable > of. With a cruciform tail, my Lacewing Bug side arm launches very > straight. Sometimes it would go up too steeply, and sometimes at too > shallow an angle (due to my launch inconsitencies), but I cannot > remember a launch that didn't go straight out. I can't comment on > launching or flying a v-tail. > > When I was flying a Little Nipper, I did get launches that tended to > curve. I used a slight amount of right rudder trim to launch, > corrected with the stick as it slowed down, and then retrimmed when I > had time during the flight. > > -Bob Chiang > Ithaca, NY USA
Date: Wednesday, September 11, 2002 12:59 PM
You certainly do not need a gyro for discus launching the Bug. But the first time I tryed a gyro, I was hooked! It make the launch so simple it's wonderful. However, weight is really an issue on a plane this small. My carbon Bug is broken and I haven't had time to rebuild it, but when I do, I will remove the gyro and retry launching without it. I do not remember if I launched without the gyro in the final tail configuration. However, all non-gyro launches I've made with the Bug resulted in the plane immediately rolling left to inverted - resulting in a crash. Later, I learned about presets and with a small amount of right rudder, the launch without the gyro goes pretty well, except that you have to remember to turn ON the preset switch and then correctly time the point at which the preset switch is turned off. The gyro just makes it a real no-brainer for launching - dead straight and all you have to do is nose over at the top. The first gyro I used was a Century. I don't remember the actual weights, but I remember that Century being the lightest available. Now I'm using the GWS gyro which is few grams heavier, but works more reliably. The Century gyro appears to be temperature sensitive. I'm in Phoenix, AZ and it's very hot. Many, many times when I took the Bug out of the car for a quick toss at lunch time, the gyro initiated in reverse. I've tested this many times and it appears that once the gyro cools down, it will initialize correctly, but I've spent 15-20 minutes plugging in and unplugging the batteries before the gyro would respond correctly. Holding the gyro in front of the air conditioner duct for a couple minutes seems to help. You really do NOT want to launch with a gyro that is acting in reverse!!! - Very messy... Regards, --Colin-- --- In BugHLG@y..., "Dan" <danstrider@a...> wrote: > Everyone, > > I know that Colin used a gyro on his Bug for stability during > launch. I was wondering what gyros, if any, you all are using and > their weights. > > Colin, I'm curious to see if a gyro is worth the weight for the Bug - > - is launch performace really affected by the gyro? Might it be > possible to manage without the gyro? My control rod setups are > never rigid enough to get rid of slop, so do you think that a gyro > would even matter is this case? > > Thanks, > Dan
Date: Tuesday, September 10, 2002 2:24 PM
--- In BugHLG@y..., "Dan" <danstrider@a...> wrote: > Everyone, > > I know that Colin used a gyro on his Bug for stability during > launch. I was wondering what gyros, if any, you all are using and > their weights. > > Colin, I'm curious to see if a gyro is worth the weight for the Bug - > - is launch performace really affected by the gyro? Might it be > possible to manage without the gyro? My control rod setups are > never rigid enough to get rid of slop, so do you think that a gyro > would even matter is this case? > > Thanks, > Dan Hi Dan, I've never flown with a gyro, so I don't know what they are capable of. With a cruciform tail, my Lacewing Bug side arm launches very straight. Sometimes it would go up too steeply, and sometimes at too shallow an angle (due to my launch inconsitencies), but I cannot remember a launch that didn't go straight out. I can't comment on launching or flying a v-tail. When I was flying a Little Nipper, I did get launches that tended to curve. I used a slight amount of right rudder trim to launch, corrected with the stick as it slowed down, and then retrimmed when I had time during the flight. -Bob Chiang Ithaca, NY USA
Date: Monday, September 9, 2002 10:56 PM
Subject: Gyro for discus launching?
Everyone, I know that Colin used a gyro on his Bug for stability during launch. I was wondering what gyros, if any, you all are using and their weights. Colin, I'm curious to see if a gyro is worth the weight for the Bug - - is launch performace really affected by the gyro? Might it be possible to manage without the gyro? My control rod setups are never rigid enough to get rid of slop, so do you think that a gyro would even matter is this case? Thanks, Dan