Bug HLG

Archive of the Yahoo! Groups mailing list for the Bug hand-launch glider 2002-2018

Date: Sunday, June 1, 2003 9:17 PM
Subject: Vert Fin
The fin has a nearly half circle filed out of it to accept the boom. I too , use the 2P (or eq.) for stiffness and lightness. The boom is not slotted, although, I do taper the right side for the last 1/2" to allow the pushrod to exit smoothly. The boom location is marked square to the rudder hinge and then a 1/4" rat tail file is used to sand out a dead ended slot on the right hand side until I just break through the left side at the bottom. I then glass the left side w/ .75 oz. glass and thin CA. The right side is glassed the same way, except I force the glass down into the 1/2 circle. The vert fin is glued on with thick CA after the boom is attached to the wing. The trick is to mount the wing, turn the plane until the H. stab is resting on the table edge and glue. This ensures perfect alignment between wing and tail. Happy flying. Chris in Seattle
Date: Sunday, June 1, 2003 9:07 AM
Subject: Re: [BugHLG] On rib production (ok now), cheap radio and tail group
A lot of people (including me) prefer the cruciform tail. You'll be able to launch at least 50 ft. high with no worries of twisting the boom, or blowing the tailfeathers off. I can't notice any performance hit, but crosswind landings are a bit trickier. There's photos of a completed cruciform tail (Colin B's design) in the yahoogroups photos section in my folder. ----- Original Message ----- From: dimple_kwok To: BugHLG@yahoogroups.com Sent: Sunday, June 01, 2003 12:18 AM Subject: [BugHLG] On rib production (ok now), cheap radio and tail group Thanks every one who offered suggestions on rib production. I now have a pair of wings that is true. The most useful thing I reckon is the use of rat tail file, which makes the notching of the LE much easier. Now I am faced with a dilemma. I have a simple 4ch non computer futaba skysport with no mixing. The stock bug uses V tail so to fly it I either have to get a mixer or buy a new radio. I have been using mixer for my larger sloper but I don't think it is such a good idea for the small light weight bug. Alternatively I can build the cruciform tail that someone here suggests. I have the dimensions but I wonder how well it performs / and how durable it is c.f. v tail. I also need to know the recommeded travels and more importantly, where on the boom to place the fin / stab as the combined "chord" of the fin/stab is greater than the that of the V-tail I guess what would help me decide is whether the bug needs dual rate / expo etc on top of the mixing. If it does then just building a cruciform tail is not going to obviate the need to get a new radio. In this case I will just take the plunge and get a decent radio to replace my old one. If the bug can be flown without dual rate / expo then I would appreciate if you could give me the above details on the cruciform tail, as I will probably use that to save the cost of a new radio. Thanks Henry Yahoo! Groups Sponsor To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: BugHLG-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com Home Page - http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BugHLG/ Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service. [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
Date: Sunday, June 1, 2003 8:25 AM
Subject: Henry and Chris
Henry, I used a V-Tail mixer on my bug the first few months and it works fine. Mine was small and did not add much weight. The V-tail is less likely to get damaged on landing and I still fly V-tail with my new radio. I am planning on a cruciform tail for my next version. It will weigh more so I will really have to build light. I am going to use the flying stab that Chris posted pictures of. Looks neat and I like the fact that it is removable. Chris, Thank you very much for the details on how you built your mold. I would have been making one last fall when I got the PETG if I had had that info back then. It really sounds easy with your explanation. I still have my first standard size wing (a little battered from learning) but with a recover and the modifications you have documented it should rise again. I have the same feelings about the wing as you. It is a great design and really tough. One question. How did you mount the V-stab on the boom? Did you cut stab or boom? Or did you just glue it to the side. I'm going to use a P2 boom and don't think cutting it is a good idea. If I don't center it on the boom do I offset the notch in the flying stab to make it fit? Thanks again! --- In BugHLG@yahoogroups.com, "dimple_kwok" <henry.kwok@x> wrote: > Thanks every one who offered suggestions on rib production. I now > have a pair of wings that is true. The most useful thing I reckon is > the use of rat tail file, which makes the notching of the LE much > easier. > > Now I am faced with a dilemma. I have a simple 4ch non computer > futaba skysport with no mixing. The stock bug uses V tail so to fly > it I either have to get a mixer or buy a new radio. I have been using > mixer for my larger sloper but I don't think it is such a good idea > for the small light weight bug. > > Alternatively I can build the cruciform tail that someone here > suggests. I have the dimensions but I wonder how well it performs / > and how durable it is c.f. v tail. I also need to know the recommeded > travels and more importantly, where on the boom to place the fin / > stab as the combined "chord" of the fin/stab is greater than the that > of the V-tail > > I guess what would help me decide is whether the bug needs dual > rate / expo etc on top of the mixing. If it does then just building a > cruciform tail is not going to obviate the need to get a new radio. > In this case I will just take the plunge and get a decent radio to > replace my old one. > > If the bug can be flown without dual rate / expo then I would > appreciate if you could give me the above details on the cruciform > tail, as I will probably use that to save the cost of a new radio. > > Thanks > > > Henry
Date: Sunday, June 1, 2003 1:18 AM
Subject: On rib production (ok now), cheap radio and tail group
Thanks every one who offered suggestions on rib production. I now have a pair of wings that is true. The most useful thing I reckon is the use of rat tail file, which makes the notching of the LE much easier. Now I am faced with a dilemma. I have a simple 4ch non computer futaba skysport with no mixing. The stock bug uses V tail so to fly it I either have to get a mixer or buy a new radio. I have been using mixer for my larger sloper but I don't think it is such a good idea for the small light weight bug. Alternatively I can build the cruciform tail that someone here suggests. I have the dimensions but I wonder how well it performs / and how durable it is c.f. v tail. I also need to know the recommeded travels and more importantly, where on the boom to place the fin / stab as the combined "chord" of the fin/stab is greater than the that of the V-tail I guess what would help me decide is whether the bug needs dual rate / expo etc on top of the mixing. If it does then just building a cruciform tail is not going to obviate the need to get a new radio. In this case I will just take the plunge and get a decent radio to replace my old one. If the bug can be flown without dual rate / expo then I would appreciate if you could give me the above details on the cruciform tail, as I will probably use that to save the cost of a new radio. Thanks Henry